Did the Slugs/Snails Enjoy Eating Up Your Garden Last Summer?

Gardening 08.15.15
Here's a simple and environmentally friendly way to get rid of them, and you probably have it in your frig right now. It's simple - beer. You have to use it in a special way. See how here: http://the2seasons.com/2012/06/05/lets-get-dr...
Cost: $2.00 Difficulty: Easy
  • Last summer my husband and I planted our first garden, a compact container garden between our driveway and house.
  • You can imagine how upset we were when something started eating our produce before we had a chance to.
  • My mother said it might be slugs and to get rid of them by getting them drunk. All you do is to fill small plastic containers with beer. Don't worry. The slugs will drink any kind.
  • Right before dark, dig small holes and position the containers so that they are even with the soil. Then fill them with beer. The slugs are attracted to the sweetness of it. They will crawl in to have a drink, and then they drown.
  • I got over 50 slugs in each container, and I only needed to do this two nights. Then they were completely gone. I knew that if other slugs appeared, I could repeat the process.

To see more: http://the2seasons.com/2012/06/05/lets-get-drunk/

• Katherine Rusler-Davis
    Yvonne; if beer is not handy you can put a ring of kosher salt down as a border and they will not cross it, or use some yeast and a little brown sugar in a container to draw them in. It is the yeast in the beer that attracts the slugs and snails. You can
  • Debbie Maner
    Debbie Maner Villa Rica, GA
    Putting beer in a pie pan at dusk/dark will also attract rats. Rats can't burp so the gas building up will rupture their stomachs. Yes, disgusting but more effective than any other method.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    I tried the beer and I have a tin full of a number of small bugs most of which look alike. Not sure what I caught but I hope they are the ones that are eating my three tiny hostas.
  • Shirley C
    Shirley C Lady Lake, FL
    I've done it -it works -- but empty every day = the drowned slugs are disgusting
  • Nancy Sutton
    Nancy Sutton Williams, OR
    I plant my garden ,vegys and flowers and set out the beer as soon as they start to pop up. This way works so well we never have a chewed leaf,but tis important to set this out at dusk and remove early, cause slugs in this in the heat are beyond yucky
  • Norma R
    Norma R Snohomish, WA
    I have used this method for years. It's kid of yucky, but it works.
  • Margaret M
    Margaret M Belfair, WA
    I tried this a few years ago. I ended up with empty containers and two drunk puppies.
  • Karen Bradford
    Karen Bradford Mira Loma, CA
    Does this work for pill bugs (sow bugs/"rollie-polies")? Those are chewing my seedlings at the stems as soon as I transplant them.
  • Norma Rodgers
    Norma Rodgers Carlsbad, NM
    I've heard about this going to try it.

• The 2 Seasons
    The 2 Seasons Syracuse, NY
    You can use cheap beer. They are not picky.
  • Mary Scott
    Mary Scott Central Islip, NY
    Beer is good to catch those annoying crickets that get into your house and chirp all night. Pour beer into a tin pie plate, Lean ice cream sticks or something the crickets can climb up to get into the plate and they can't get out.
  • Cheryl M
    Cheryl M Freeport, ME
    This does work I did this last year. We had a horrible year last year with slugs and was able to save the rest of my garden from the little buggers. Yvonne. You don't have to change the beer every day just filter the slugs out and refill with the beer
  • Bonnie Coomes
    Bonnie Coomes Fairfield, OH
    Have used this for 25yrs and it works.
  • Becky Divelbliss
    Becky Divelbliss Northfield, VT
    we used eggs shells last year in our garden. It worked amazingly keeping the slugs out of the garden.
  • Fastnacht Shavout
    Cool beans! isn't it amazing how the simplest of tricks work like magic!!
The 2 Seasons