I have one part of my yard behind the fence and next to my carport, that is about 90% shade. Can anyone tell me of some

05.09.12
ype of ground covering or flowers that I basically have to do nothing to them so that they can grow & survive? The most work I basically want to have to do in that area is to keep them from spreading into my neighbors back yard?
  • Terri J
    Terri J Annapolis, MD
    I forgot to mention that the land back there is very acidic because of the pine trees. I have started shopping for plants, but w/ the insane weather, nothing has been planted yet. I am trying to chose plants that will match the sunny side of the area too.
  • Terri J
    Terri J Annapolis, MD
    May 8th - we are getting April showers. The past two weekd are the only time we haven't been dropping to mid 30's at night. Now it's time to start planting here. Saw lots of beautiful flowere/plants but glad I held off b/c of above reasons. I am getting
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    Free plants are always great Terri. Enjoy your shade. I wanted to add that I have an area of dry shade and in addition to hellebores, Christmas fern is evergreen (Polystichum acrosticchoides), native and tough. Here is a photo of Christmas fern with
  • Terri J
    Terri J Annapolis, MD
    Erica, thank you for suggesting Christmas fern. I only have one spot of shade - by my carport. I love things that stay green year round, and have golden thread juniper bushes out front for that reason.
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    Your welcome Terri. It is a tough and satisfying plant.
Terri J