Hometalk.com

02.28.12

Want to change from brass knobs thru-out house on kitchen cabinets & built-ins in LR and DR.

My big problem is that I have brass door levers thru-out house, with 7 being entry doors - too expensive to replace. Can I mix metals or just stick to brass. All the knobs are Baldwin brass. (They weren't cheap! 45 knobs in kitchen & 16 in LR and DR) I want to update as we plan to sell soon. What to do?!!! Oh, I forgot that I have built-in cabinets & drawers in my BR. More knobs! Geez...
22 Comments Displaying 15 of 22 comments | See Previous
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Sorry Penelope. I misunderstood your question. I thought you were saying you were tired of the knobs and wanted a change, even though you are moving soon.
  • Penny Columbia, SC
    Thanks. I might just get a stager that can look at my house with "fresh" eyes. Luckily, I don't have to worry about curb appeal, as my husband loves having a "perfect" yard with arbors and walkways. But I'm afraid people will be disappointed once they
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Great. Curb appeal is half the battle. And a good staging expert will be worth every penny. They can help sell a house faster and for more money.
  • Laura D Dacula, GA
    Don't spray paint!! It does not wear well at all. Real oil rubbed bronze gives you the best of both worlds. As it wears the brass shows through but the edges are still dark. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Penny Columbia, SC
    Thanks.
  • If you're selling the house.....hiring a good stager is money well spent. I'd also have 3 local & well established agents take a look at the house and give their thoughts on what else you should be doing to get your best price
  • Nora Virginia Beach, VA
    Penelope, since your question referred to cabinet hardware you can easily achieve a nice, cost-effective update by choosing stylish modern hardware--say in a brushed nickel or oil-rubbed bronze, depending on the finish that best complements the other
  • Stacey B Florence, KY
    We moved into this house with 20+ bright brass door knobs and all brass light fixtures. Although I very much dislike brass-it was certainly was not deal-breaker for us. Because of the cost however, we started sanding, priming and spray-painting all of
  • Stacey B Florence, KY
    Also-if you look on-line you can find replacement knobs/pulls that are about $1 each-may be worth the update to your cabinets! You would be AMAZED what a difference it can make.
  • Penny Columbia, SC
    Nora, I enjoyed your video. I spent an hour online looking at the knobs that that company sells on their website and I think I may have found some knobs that would blend with the brass door levers. Like that lady (cabinet hardware specialist) in the
  • Nora Virginia Beach, VA
    Great; glad you're finding the answers you need, Penelope :)
  • Charlene S Lawton, PA
    Penelope, a lot of the reason for using granite in newer or remodled homes is because people don't like the cost of corion..I would rethink that idea too.
  • Penny Columbia, SC
    Thanks, Charlene... I'm beginning to. I hate that I've spent so much on this house (completely taken down to the studs 12 years ago), to have my countertops outdated by some standards. But I will be changing out my cabinet knobs. I appreciate your thoughts.
  • Charlene S Lawton, PA
    Penelope, my thought is to update at the lowest cost for the biggest bang on your return! In my opinion, Corion is definately not outdated. Changing the knobs on the cabinets will definately give them a "newer" look! Painting, redoing the floors, &
  • Nora Virginia Beach, VA
    Penelope, why not post some photos of the existing kitchen--some overviews of the entire space and some close-ups of areas in question? That way we can give more specific advice.