Hometalk.com

02.21.12

Carpet tiles in basement with adhesive backing...yes or no? Finishing 1300 sq ft and ceramic/porcelain tile is expensive

Have never had water in our bsmt (knock on wood) in 11 years. Can we get away with carpet tiles? Do we need a moisture barrier backing since we'll putting directly on concrete?
10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • Jaime L Sumas, WA
    Th very best idea for a basement is to start with a subfloor. Concrete will leech moisture even if you have never had a wet basemet. I would recommend a system that uses click together plywood squares that are backed with a heavy plastic dimpled sheet.
  • Really not a good idea Laurie....you'd be better with finished concrete, ceramic tile, engineered wood or laminate. We have some pretty good decorative concrete folks posting here. You can seal the floor first and put the carpet tiles down if you are
  • Laurie C Roswell, GA
    Finishing the basement but not DIY style. Have about 12-1300 sq ft to finish and hope to keep it around $30k but tile installation is so expensive. Thought about the finished concrete look but have heard it runs about the same as tile. Personally, I'm
  • Laurie C Roswell, GA
    Also looking for someone to re-do our driveway if you have any suggestions. A nearby pine root has destroyed the middle. About 300 sq.ft.
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    I agree that carpeting a basement is really asking for trouble. I would get a few estimates for both tile and concrete finishing. Tile varies widely in price, so you might be able to find a deal. Also keep in mind that larger tiles should be cheaper to
  • Hi Laurie, Have you considered stained concrete flooring? Done right, it can look amazing and be extremely resilient. Interested? Have a look at some of our recent projects to see if this is something you would like in that space. Call and we can
  • A carpeted basement is almost always looking for trouble even though lost of us do it. I have carpet in one of my basements and the kids love it. If the slab is sealed and you have a separate hvac unit for the basement that you use year-round, then you
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Tile can vary widely in price...I've installed basic "bulk tile" from the big box store that runs 69 cents a sq to 99 cents. with a big job like that you could do the whole floor for 5 to 6 k.
  • Ricardo B Alpine, TX
    Going slightly "against the grain" here about the carpet tile. At one of our major office facilities in Atlanta, our regional facility used carpet squares on tons of office space in a multi-floor environment.
  • LandlightS Roswell, GA
    IMHO....seal the concrete floor and go to this site tofind commercial floor tiles at a very reasonable price: http://www.greatmats.com/products/first.cho...
  • Like

KMS Woodworks