Concrete counter tops in the kitchen, good or bad?

We are pretty handy and thinking of installing concrete counter tops in our kitchen. Any thoughts or tips. I like the idea of granite/quartz but definitely doesn't fit my budget and I don't want to go tile and like the feel of a stone material.
  • Ed Barth
    Ed Barth Glen Ullin, ND
    It can be done but you need to have some concrete experience and a little forming knowledge. I poured our entire new house about 90 square feet of countertops with embedded glass and stained and sealed. The hardest thing about this is flipping the slabs
  • Robert
    Robert Cartersville, GA
    there is a little more to it if you want them to look like what you see online and the really nice concrete countertops. Check out this company,
  • Its Really Concrete, Inc.
    you can ' seed ' many things into conc then polish the tops IF you're considering cast-in-place,,, pre/cast are often cast upside down then carried into the house & set into place,,, there isn't an easy learning curve however the 1st lesson is DON'T USE
  • Denise G
    Denise G Rembert, SC
    Can't remenber the name of the product but the counter top was made from recycled glass. Strong & pretty. Saw it on some home improvement show
  • HandyANDY - Handyman & All Repairs, LLC
    I would agree with SawHorse. It's great you have help from your father but, if neither of you have tried installing concrete counter tops before. I would practice on a piece of furniture. This way you have a much better idea for the process and any
  • Nora
    Nora Virginia Beach, VA
    Lisa, I didn't realize you were considering DIY. As a decorative painter, several years ago, I discovered SkimStone while they were still in the process of developing their Bonding Primer to enable DIYers to resurface old laminate and tile counter tops
  • Rule4 Building Group
    Rule4 Building Group Elkridge, MD
    Concrete is becoming more popular, looks great and is greener. But installation is labor intensive and tricky. As per @KMS Woodworks, If you decide to have this done professionally, you may find that the price of the quartz/granite is not much
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I would re-think the concrete as a DIY. I have a few clients who have concrete and they are not entirely happy with it...these folks all had it commercially done and the price was way up there at or above granite...personally I have been doing a lot of
  • Lisa D
    Lisa D Greeley, CO
    Thanks everybody! I will definitely check out the sites you have provided. I forgot to mention that it wont' be little ole me just doing this. My father is a contractor and will be helping me too. @Nora I like the idea of hte soft earthy feel too!
  • Atlanta, GA
    I have had clients do these themselves and they turned out pretty nice. The final product finish would be determined by the skill set of the person doing the work. I would practice on a small piece of furniture before doing the whole kitchen just to
Lisa D
Thank you {% auth.user().name %} for answering this question & helping the community!
Here are some more recent questions

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post