Hometalk.com

Cleaning Tips 04.11.14

Homemade laundry detergent and why it works so well

Homemade laundry detergent is all the rage these days but do you ever wonder if it really works? I love the idea of homemade laundry detergent, that costs a fraction of the price but I want to know that my clothes are actually getting clean, before I jump on the bandwagon!

The 4 basic ingredients of homemade laundry detergent are Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Fels-Naptha bar soap. I also added Oxi Clean and doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil, to give it a little extra cleaning power, and a delicious citrus scent. Check out my full post to see how/why each of the ingredients work to create the best, most effective laundry detergent. Click here: http://askannamoseley.com/2013/05/the-best-h...

Edit: This detergent can be used in a front loading washing machine, there are instructions if you click on the link above. It is also safe to use if you have a septic system, I researched all of the individual ingredients and they are all safe to use. My sister has been using this for years on her septic system and she has never had any problems.

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $15 Difficulty: Easy
208 Comments Displaying 16 of 208 comments | See Previous
  • CountryGirl Canadensis, PA
    So where do you get all of these ingredients??? The Borax, and the baking soda I know...????
  • Jaime Bridges Orlando, FL
    You can get all of hte ingredients on the laundry isle at Wal-mart. They are all together!
  • Lots of grocery stores carry them as well.
  • Jean Connor Braintree, MA
    I have been using homemade laundry detergent for years now. My cloths are clean and fresh. My son had allergies and scented laundry detergent bothered him. I make Liquid Laundry Detergent (1 cup borax(cost $3.75) large box, 1 cup arm & hammer washing
  • Dara Smith Belden, MS
    This is all well and fine but no one is telling where you get the soap
  • Robin Seefahrt West Granby, CT
    thanks Jean. i'll try the liquid
  • Andrea R Westminster, CA
    I made this recipe 2 months ago and washing for my family of 4, I still have about4 months' worth left to finish! All told my cost for materials was about 20 dollars :) I can testify that it works as well as Tide. One thing though, I did buy the doTerra
    • Andrea R Westminster, CA
      I don't use fabric softerner -- maybe vinegar on occasion.
  • Most grocery stores carry the fels naptha or zote soap in the laundry aisle.
  • Dollar Tree also has something similar to SHOUT that works wonder, it only costs $1, and is called Totally Awesome for laundry! i use that as an extra for my hubby's trucker uniform's!
    • Anna M Redding, CA
      Fastnacht Shavout Good to know!! Thank you!
    • Peg Sullinger Medina, NY
      Fastnacht Shavout I used totally awesome on my sons yellow sweat shirt many years ago to remove blue food dye from a cake he stuck his arm into accidently. The stain had been on the
  • Carrie Orlando, FL
    I made a batch of this laundry detergent last weekend and have to say I'm very happy with the results. I didn't put the OxyClean in the mix, though, because of some bad results with it in the past on darker colors. Clothes are cleaner, so much softer
  • Elaine Williams Grafton, OH
    I recently made this soap and did not let the fels naptha melt completely. (the directions did not specify boiling water) It is lumpy and watery but seems to be cleaning well. Next time I will use boiling water!! Love this soap!