Homemade laundry detergent and why it works so well

Yesterday
Homemade laundry detergent is all the rage these days but do you ever wonder if it really works? I love the idea of homemade laundry detergent, that costs a fraction of the price but I want to know that my clothes are actually getting clean, before I jump on the bandwagon!

The 4 basic ingredients of homemade laundry detergent are Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Fels-Naptha bar soap. I also added Oxi Clean and doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil, to give it a little extra cleaning power, and a delicious citrus scent. Check out my full post to see how/why each of the ingredients work to create the best, most effective laundry detergent. Click here: http://askannamoseley.com/2013/05/the-best-ho...

Edit: This detergent can be used in a front loading washing machine, there are instructions if you click on the link above. It is also safe to use if you have a septic system, I researched all of the individual ingredients and they are all safe to use. My sister has been using this for years on her septic system and she has never had any problems.

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $15 Difficulty: Easy

on This Post

• Sandra Whittier
    Sandra Whittier Round Rock, TX
    My Grandma lit a fire under the big black kettle in the yard and rendered the fresh hog fat, and added lye. Would you believe it floated. Couple of years back, you made soap when you killed a hog.
  • Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates
    Hi, Anna. I've used this recipe for about a year, minus the essential oil. Great addition! This works well in my HE washer and seems to clean clothes well. Anyway, I just mixed together a different recipe to try. It is Baking Soda, Borax, Oxi Clean, and
  • Liz Kirbow
    Liz Kirbow Port Orchard, WA
    Why isn't for septic tank users??
  • Jean
    Jean Kevil, KY
    It works in HE machines because it is low sidsing, but cleans so well. I have been using it exclusively for almost two years and am very satisfied with the way it cleans, smells fresh, and I know there I am not putting any weird chemicals onto my clothes
  • Jutta Sonntag
    Jutta Sonntag Saint Augustine, FL
    Making this Laundry soap with Zote and or Felz Naptah is about $1.75 for 120 loads, I make it for all my friends teenagers that work at Mc Donald's or BK or the like, because it removes all the greasy smell like nothing else. I am also able to give this
  • Cindy T
    Cindy T Mountain Home, AR
    made this and went back to tide when clothes started looking grey
  • Patti Hamilton
    Patti Hamilton Jacksonville, TX
    I have been using this detergent for 2 yrs, minus the essential oils as i make a powdered version. My clothes are clean and smell good. it can be used in any washing machine however it is not recommended for septic tank users My annual savings using this
  • Melissa Keltner-Herndon
    You can also make a liquid form that uses the same ingredients and works in your HE machines.
  • Patti Chell
    Patti Chell Hollandale, MN
    I've been using this for several months and I love it. I haven't used the scented oil in it but the rest I have. My recipe is 1-4lb box 12oz box of Borax, 1-4lb box of arm & hammer baking soda, 1-3lb 7oz box of arm & hammer washing soda, 2 small or one
  • Jutta Sonntag
    Jutta Sonntag Saint Augustine, FL
    Channen Allen-Sallee you can find washing soda and borax at the end of the laundry isle in Wal-Mart as well as the Felz Naptah.
  • Laura B
    Laura B Grass Valley, CA
    We have hard water, would it dissolve? Also does it work in cold water?
  • Vonnie Choate
    Vonnie Choate Sagle, ID
    UNFORTUNATELY, WITH NEWER WASHER'S U HAVE TO USE HE SOAP. OR PAY THE PRICE OF IT CODING FOR SUDS, AND PUMP PROBLEMS.
  • Tawnya
    Tawnya Belgrade, MT
    I really want to try this. Have you figured out cost compared to store bought detergent?
  • Abby Koltes
    Abby Koltes Waunakee, WI
    Works in front loaders very well! I've been using this for about a year now and my clothes are very clean, smell great and no more skin allergies from unknown chemicals.
  • CA M
    CA M Grand Rapids, MI
    sounds like a lot of work! easier to just go buy a bottle!
Anna M