Homemade laundry detergent and why it works so well

CLEANING TIPS 7 days ago
Homemade laundry detergent is all the rage these days but do you ever wonder if it really works? I love the idea of homemade laundry detergent, that costs a fraction of the price but I want to know that my clothes are actually getting clean, before I jump on the bandwagon!

The 4 basic ingredients of homemade laundry detergent are Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Fels-Naptha bar soap. I also added Oxi Clean and doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil, to give it a little extra cleaning power, and a delicious citrus scent. Check out my full post to see how/why each of the ingredients work to create the best, most effective laundry detergent. Click here: http://askannamoseley.com/2013/05/the-best-ho...

Edit: This detergent can be used in a front loading washing machine, there are instructions if you click on the link above. It is also safe to use if you have a septic system, I researched all of the individual ingredients and they are all safe to use. My sister has been using this for years on her septic system and she has never had any problems.

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $15 Difficulty: Easy

on This Post

• Tate P
    Tate P Sacramento, CA
    Will it work in a Hi Efficiency washer?
  • Lanelle Devlin
    Gloria W I believe Sione is probably a Shaklee consultant promoting/suggesting her brand not so much looking for tips on how to save money... IMHO
  • Gloria W
    Gloria W Little Falls, MN
    Sione, Shaklee is very expensive. I bought the blue balls from QVC and only costs 34.00 and the balls will clean 6,000 loads of clothes. I've been using them for 6 months and very economical and clothes are clean. So click on to QVC and check on laundry
  • Jennifer V
    Jennifer V Irving, TX
    I love this...it's a great "green" detergent, and a super gift idea.
  • Betty R Thomas
    Betty R Thomas Parkville, MD
    My daughter makes this detergent and swears by it....I am somewhat concerned on using a powder detergent in my washmachine.....most are marked for liquid detergent only.
  • Judy
    Judy Palm Bay, FL
    Judy Straw...do you use the Purex Beads in addition to all of these ingredients or in place of one of them...and how much do you add?
  • Linda Dame
    Linda Dame Benton, AR
    I have been using this for about 6 months. Since I am allergic to everything, I use 1/2 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup of soda and a bar of Dove unscented soap and use 2 tsp. per load.My clothes are alot cleaner and smells better too. Linda D.
  • Louise
    Louise Norcross, GA
    Sione, is Shaklee tested on animals? The site you reference says 350 tests are done.
  • Linda Anthony
    Linda Anthony Meadville, PA
    RHONDA G - please give recipe
  • Amy W.
    Amy W. Clermont, FL
    I make this exact recipe but instead of essential oils ..I use the new laundry enhancer beads...I use 2 containers per recipe and the clothes are so clean and smell soooooo good...And my hubby gets dirty and greasy...Works better than any of the name
  • Marie S
    Marie S Canada
    I am not sure fels naptha is sold here in Canada. What can I use in place of fels?
  • Rhonda G
    Rhonda G North Branch, MI
    I dont make this one at all i make a laundry sauce with only fels naptha washing soda and borax and my stuff is so super concentrated that it suds up nicely and gets the stains out of anything and everything comes out so much cleaner i have been letting
  • Rita Bertler
    Rita Bertler Nokomis, FL
    I have been using this for about 3 years now and love it. It cleans very well, and definitely saves money. My recipe is 1 bar of Fels Naptha soap, 1 cup of baking soda, and 1 cup of Borax washing powder. Grate the bar soap in your food processor and
  • Marlene Raitt
    Marlene Raitt Libby, MT
    http://laundry.about.com/od/laundrydetergents... this as I found no answers to septics
Anna M