Homemade laundry detergent and why it works so well

Paula's place 6 days ago
Homemade laundry detergent is all the rage these days but do you ever wonder if it really works? I love the idea of homemade laundry detergent, that costs a fraction of the price but I want to know that my clothes are actually getting clean, before I jump on the bandwagon!

The 4 basic ingredients of homemade laundry detergent are Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Fels-Naptha bar soap. I also added Oxi Clean and doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil, to give it a little extra cleaning power, and a delicious citrus scent. Check out my full post to see how/why each of the ingredients work to create the best, most effective laundry detergent. Click here: http://askannamoseley.com/2013/05/the-best-h...

Edit: This detergent can be used in a front loading washing machine, there are instructions if you click on the link above. It is also safe to use if you have a septic system, I researched all of the individual ingredients and they are all safe to use. My sister has been using this for years on her septic system and she has never had any problems.

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $15 Difficulty: Easy
  • Dara Smith
    Dara Smith Belden, MS
    This is all well and fine but no one is telling where you get the soap
  • Robin Seefahrt
    Robin Seefahrt West Granby, CT
    thanks Jean. i'll try the liquid
  • Andrea R
    Andrea R Westminster, CA
    I made this recipe 2 months ago and washing for my family of 4, I still have about4 months' worth left to finish! All told my cost for materials was about 20 dollars :) I can testify that it works as well as Tide. One thing though, I did buy the doTerra
    • Julie Collier
      Julie Collier Paw Paw, MI
      I went and bought Essential oil from the drug store. A bottle 1fl oz was $12.99 I used about 1/2 of the bottle, however I made a triple batch of laundry soap ( I make for 3 families) and the soap has a fresh light smell. And that's only because my
  • Patricia Cleveland
    Most grocery stores carry the fels naptha or zote soap in the laundry aisle.
    • Julie Collier
      Julie Collier Paw Paw, MI
      Zote can be found at a Family Dollar store.

Have NOT found at a Dollar General

• Fastnacht Shavout
    Dollar Tree also has something similar to SHOUT that works wonder, it only costs $1, and is called Totally Awesome for laundry! i use that as an extra for my hubby's trucker uniform's!
    • Julie Collier
      Julie Collier Paw Paw, MI
      My daughter swears by Totally Awesome for a lot of cleaning needs.
  • Carrie
    Carrie Orlando, FL
    I made a batch of this laundry detergent last weekend and have to say I'm very happy with the results. I didn't put the OxyClean in the mix, though, because of some bad results with it in the past on darker colors. Clothes are cleaner, so much softer
    • Julie Collier
      Julie Collier Paw Paw, MI
      I use coffee containers after the coffee is gone

Great way to recycle plastic containers

• Elaine Williams
    Elaine Williams Grafton, OH
    I recently made this soap and did not let the fels naptha melt completely. (the directions did not specify boiling water) It is lumpy and watery but seems to be cleaning well. Next time I will use boiling water!! Love this soap!
    • Julie Collier
      Julie Collier Paw Paw, MI
      I boiled my water, turned it off, put the Felsnaphta soap in & covered it for about 10 min. Stir to make sure dissolved then put in the dry ingredients to dissolve. I have had the soap, boiling water & dry ingredients boil over & make a mess. This way I
  • Barbara Cox
    Barbara Cox Sugarloaf, PA
    Where do I find the download for the cute label
  • Julie Collier
    Julie Collier Paw Paw, MI
    Here is a tip for saving ur good pots when making Home made Laundry Soap. I went to Goodwill (can go to yard sale or any resale shop) and purchase a cheese grater, stock pot w lid, large bowl, measuring spoons (need the Tablespoon for each load of
  • Elaine Williams
    Elaine Williams Grafton, OH
    thanks for the answer - i will let it sit for 10 minutes next time!
  • Miranda
    Miranda United Kingdom
    I make my own laundry bar soap with vegetable shortening and rapeseed oil with 33% water discount and 0% Superfating. I used hot Process soap making. Even though I don't put borax and just washing soda but still clean my clothes well.
  • Roberta
    roberta Andrews, NC
    I AM A COMPUTER NEWBIE HOW CAN I GET THE RECIPE FOR THE LAUNDRY SOAP
  • Diane H
    Diane H Cumming, GA
    Click on Homemade Laundry Soap and the recipe should come up. If not google Homemade Laundry Soap.
  • S.
    Hmmmm...here in Germany it is forbidden now to sell Borax to normal people because it is under suspicion of harming unborn babies. So I would not want to use it, even if I could get it anywhere.
  • Avril
    avril United Kingdom
    What is this felsnaphta please. What could I use here in England.
    • S.
      Avril I googled a litte bit (I myself live in Germany) and found lots of stuff on Amazon.uk. Just type in laundry soap bar in the search. Btw.... Felsnaphta ist not really healthy stuff. Hope I could help.
    • Peg Sullinger
      Peg Sullinger Medina, NY
      Avril Fels-Naptha bar soap is the soap recommended by the first recipe I found for home made soap, but I use left over scraps of any kind of soap or a bar a Yardley London English
Anna M