Homemade laundry detergent and why it works so well

Homemade laundry detergent is all the rage these days but do you ever wonder if it really works? I love the idea of homemade laundry detergent, that costs a fraction of the price but I want to know that my clothes are actually getting clean, before I jump on the bandwagon!

The 4 basic ingredients of homemade laundry detergent are Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Fels-Naptha bar soap. I also added Oxi Clean and doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil, to give it a little extra cleaning power, and a delicious citrus scent. Check out my full post to see how/why each of the ingredients work to create the best, most effective laundry detergent. Click here: http://askannamoseley.com/2013/05/the-best-ho...

Edit: This detergent can be used in a front loading washing machine, there are instructions if you click on the link above. It is also safe to use if you have a septic system, I researched all of the individual ingredients and they are all safe to use. My sister has been using this for years on her septic system and she has never had any problems.

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $15 Difficulty: Easy
  • Borax is a natural laundry booster because of it's unique ability to clean, by converting some water molecules to hydrogen peroxide.
  • The high alkalinity of washing soda helps it act as a solvent to remove a range of stains. Also adding Fels-Naphta helps eliminate residual stains. It works as a stain remover, for tough stains
  • Download this free printable to make your laundry detergent into cute gifts or just look cute in your laundry room!
  • Roberta
    roberta Andrews, NC
    I AM A COMPUTER NEWBIE HOW CAN I GET THE RECIPE FOR THE LAUNDRY SOAP
  • Diane H
    Diane H Cumming, GA
    Click on Homemade Laundry Soap and the recipe should come up. If not google Homemade Laundry Soap.
  • S.
    Hmmmm...here in Germany it is forbidden now to sell Borax to normal people because it is under suspicion of harming unborn babies. So I would not want to use it, even if I could get it anywhere.
  • Avril
    avril United Kingdom
    What is this felsnaphta please. What could I use here in England.
    • Peg Sullinger
      Peg Sullinger Medina, NY
      Avril I'm sorry I did not see post sooner. Felsnaptha is just a bar soap. It is kind of hard to find around here. I just use a soap with fragrance or even bar soap scraps. I love the lavender scented soaps, but still use a bit of lavender oil for more smell.
  • Lindsey
    Lindsey Casselberry, FL
    Seems like a lot of expense.
    • Peg Sullinger
      Peg Sullinger Medina, NY
      Lindsey when you first buy all the ingredients for home made soap you are spending a bit of money, BUT you will use each box of soaps for more than 1 batch. If you have money
Anna M