Homemade laundry detergent and why it works so well

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Homemade laundry detergent is all the rage these days but do you ever wonder if it really works? I love the idea of homemade laundry detergent, that costs a fraction of the price but I want to know that my clothes are actually getting clean, before I jump on the bandwagon!

The 4 basic ingredients of homemade laundry detergent are Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Fels-Naptha bar soap. I also added Oxi Clean and doTERRA Wild Orange essential oil, to give it a little extra cleaning power, and a delicious citrus scent. Check out my full post to see how/why each of the ingredients work to create the best, most effective laundry detergent. Click here: http://askannamoseley.com/2013/05/the-best-ho...

Edit: This detergent can be used in a front loading washing machine, there are instructions if you click on the link above. It is also safe to use if you have a septic system, I researched all of the individual ingredients and they are all safe to use. My sister has been using this for years on her septic system and she has never had any problems.

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $15 Difficulty: Easy
  • Borax is a natural laundry booster because of it's unique ability to clean, by converting some water molecules to hydrogen peroxide.
  • The high alkalinity of washing soda helps it act as a solvent to remove a range of stains. Also adding Fels-Naphta helps eliminate residual stains. It works as a stain remover, for tough stains
  • Download this free printable to make your laundry detergent into cute gifts or just look cute in your laundry room!
  • Mary Ann
    Mary Ann Beach Haven, NJ
    Can you use this in the new washers that call for high efficiency laundry detergent?
    • Marcia Robbins
      Marcia Robbins Theresa, NY
      Yes. I have high efficiency front loaders and have been using for a few years. I do occasionally use liquid for gentle cold water loads but use the powder with warm and cold water in most general loads.
  • Avril
    avril United Kingdom
    What is this felsnaphta please. What could I use here in England.
    • Peg Sullinger
      Peg Sullinger Medina, NY
      Avril I'm sorry I did not see post sooner. Felsnaptha is just a bar soap. It is kind of hard to find around here. I just use a soap with fragrance or even bar soap scraps. I love the lavender scented soaps, but still use a bit of lavender oil for more smell.
  • Lindsey
    Lindsey Casselberry, FL
    Seems like a lot of expense.
    • Peg Sullinger
      Peg Sullinger Medina, NY
      Lindsey when you first buy all the ingredients for home made soap you are spending a bit of money, BUT you will use each box of soaps for more than 1 batch. If you have money
  • Marcia Robbins
    Marcia Robbins Theresa, NY
    I found a two ended measuring spoon with one and two tablespoons. I just leave it with the soap and use a heaping spoon for smaller or larger loads.
Anna M

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post