After seeing so many posts on diy garden globes, I just had to try it. I started searching for old bowling balls but all I found were priced too high. Then little by little, it all came together and and I now have six garden globes that I just love. Hope you do too.
I started applying glass flat sided marbles(Dollar Tree) with this adhesive but they started sliding and I got impatient, so I went to hot glue. Worked great and no slipping.
After a few weeks of researching and shopping for the cheapest and best choice of grout, I found a bag for $2 at the Habitat Restore. Messy job for indoors but snow outside made me do it in a large tub on my kitchen table.
This is the adhesive I used (always on hand, great stuff) to put a base on my globes since they are open on the bottom.I has silicone so it will be water tight. I wanted to make them as outdoor friendly as possible.
Again, being the cheap-skate I am, I found lg. mason jar lids at the Habitat Restore. They fit over the opening perfectly. I used plenty of adhesive around the ring and inside the ring sealing it completely.
After letting the bases dry over night(resting on plastic bowls,in the background), time for a paint job. To protect the globes, I cut circles in the bottom of grocery bags and taped them tight around the globes.
After about 2 1/2 weeks and countless inches of snow, I can finally get outside to seal the grout. I used Thompsons water seal (had cedar colored on hand).