Hometalk.com

05.06.13

Removing wallpaper from concrete?

I would like to remove the current wallpaper from our hallway and paint it. I've ripped a few pieces off, and underneath is just concrete.

So what would be the steps here? Rip off wallpaper, scrub or sand off remaining gluey bits, some sort of primer or I don't know what, then paint? Am I missing something, or have I got it all wrong? Or does anyone have any tips in general?

Thanks in advance!

5 Comments Displaying 5 of 5 comments
  • You remove the paper the same way you would from drywall, Only you can be a bit more aggressive with the removal as your not going to damage what is behind the paper. Lots of elbow grease after wetting the walls really well. Try not to let the glue dry
  • Walden Enterprises Greensboro, NC
    I agree with Woodbridge's comment, but the walls don't have to be spotless if you prime with an oil-based primer before you paint (Kilz of Zinser). It must be oil, because the paper was hung with a water-based glue. The oil primer will not react with
  • Seidman Paperhanging Collingswood, NJ
    Use Zinnser's Gards to prime the wall, not oil base. Gards will seal in any residual adhesive & it's water based.
  • Great answers Walden and Seidman. But do they sell Zinzer in Hungary where the poster is from? lol
  • Probably not, but I can look for something similar; there must be some type of oil-based primer available. Thanks for the help!
  • Like

Ellen