You want your own island?? Make one! DIY Kitchen island.

Kitchen Re-Do 01.28.16
I needed an kitchen island desperately as I love to cook. So I made one by buying two prefab cabinets that matched my already existing kitchen (or think outside the box and go with a different color). One cabinet was a two door/two drawer cabinet, the other a one door one drawer. I clamped them together and bolted them together from the inside. Then I bought dry erase board in white to cover the back of the island , I glued it with construction glue after cutting it to measurement. (My son loved to practice his spelling words on it and draw when he was little). Next I bought some corner molding and painted it white to seal the corners of the island for a finished look. (The granite was not my doing- had a company do it- but before I got granite I went to a Corian place and had a counter top made for my island in the measurements I wanted). I made sure when they cut the granite they gave me enough of a ledge for stools if I wanted in the future.

**I have since remodeled the kitchen again, and am now going to tackle the re-surfacing of it.**

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • Pam Shoesmith Probasco
    I did the same thing this summer because I wanted to eliminate a kitchen table due to lack of space. Looks great!
  • Annette Owen
    Annette Owen Alliance, NE
    On the back side of the cabinet you can install shelving for more storage space. A towel rack on 1 of the sides, and a wire rack on the other side for foil and such. All handy right in your Island.
  • Linda Stone
    Linda Stone Inman, SC
    Great job! I have a small kitchen and currently have an island husband made 30 years ago. I definitely would welcome a new one. I think I just found a project for him now that he is retired!
  • Tonya H
    Tonya H Kimberly, WI
    yeah iI love it! I need to finish my bathroom first, but would like to keep this one on file! Thanks!
  • Diana N
    Diana N Covington, GA
    I used to design kitchens for a big box store and this is how we made islands - by putting base cabinets together. One way to put it on wheels is to inset pieces of plywood into the bottom of the cabinets and mount the wheels to that. Another way is to
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Lorton, VA
    This is beyond words ! I tried for years to figure out how to do this and finally bought a wine cabinet with marble top. Will save this.
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    wonderful! and look at all the extra cabinet space you now have! Very creative :)
  • Ruth H
    Ruth H Alpharetta, GA
    Thanks for sharing your great idea. I love it!
  • Ana M
    Ana M Alpharetta, GA
    Sheryll, you might want to look into it, mine is undermount , it is not a farmhouse style so I did not have to re-plumb other that simply connect my faucets. I measured investigated and found the one with the right measurements and dimensions for no
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    And see. SEEE...... a woman did this kitchen.... a woman that COOKS and BAKES.not a man's idea of an idito kitchen.
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    Oh Ana, be still my heart. I absolutely hate my double sink!!!! I wanted to replace mine with a big ol country sink, but did not, cause of having to redo the pipes underneath...... I love your kitchen!!!!
  • Ana M
    Ana M Alpharetta, GA
    Tonya, if you want any info on how to do it yourself, let me know! Are you looking to put and island in your kitchen ?
  • Tonya H
    Tonya H Kimberly, WI
    This is exactly what I been asking the hubby for! now i can do it myself! thanks!
  • Ana M
    Ana M Alpharetta, GA
    IKEA, it's an IKEA dish drain. It fits over sinks and

Drains into it. But my sink is very large and is

• Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    I am interested in your dish drain/rack. Does it slide over the sink? Where did you find it if so. I don't have room in my tiny kitchen for a high rack on the side of my double sink. Nice job on the kitchen update.
Ana M