Advice on how to use wood for the top of a buffet...

07.10.12
I have bought 3 base kitchen cabinets that I am installing into my dining room. They will look like built-ins when all said and done. I want to use wood to make the top/countertop.

What is the best way to do it? What is the best wood to use? What thickness of wood would be best?

* I plan on staining the wood.*

* Measurements will be: 9'.25" wide, (or 108.25"), and 24 1/2" deep.*

Thanks for any and all suggestions, tips and advice!!

• Gabriel D
    Gabriel D Canada
    I have a tree slab in fir that was a client's workbench top that sat on top of some old cabinets and is likely 70 + years in age. Luckily it was never drilled to accomondate a vice or bench grinder and was never fastened down so it has not even one hole
  • Rachael S
    Rachael S Chicago, IL
    Thanks all for your advice. I really appreciate it.

I did call Home Depot and they are able to special order a piece of red oak plywood for me. They can get it in 3/4" thick x

• KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    By using plywood your are going to need to do something with the plywood's edge. The easiest would be to use some "iron on" edge banding. This is a thin veneer with a heat sensitive glue pre-applied. the second route is to edge glue a solid strip of
  • Kirk Melissa S
    Ikea has lower priced butcher block available that my sister used to make an island in her kitchen. It is gorgeous.
Rachael S