Advice on how to use wood for the top of a buffet...

08.14.15
I have bought 3 base kitchen cabinets that I am installing into my dining room. They will look like built-ins when all said and done. I want to use wood to make the top/countertop.

What is the best way to do it? What is the best wood to use? What thickness of wood would be best?

* I plan on staining the wood.*

* Measurements will be: 9'.25" wide, (or 108.25"), and 24 1/2" deep.*

Thanks for any and all suggestions, tips and advice!!

• Debbie McGarrity
    Ikea as above have the thinnest block wood counter top I would apply right around the whole set of cabinets top sides and bottom if ossibke for a framed finish with or this out decorative legs it has been done with the likening kallax or expedit check
  • Kirk Melissa S
    Ikea has lower priced butcher block available that my sister used to make an island in her kitchen. It is gorgeous.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    By using plywood your are going to need to do something with the plywood's edge. The easiest would be to use some "iron on" edge banding. This is a thin veneer with a heat sensitive glue pre-applied. the second route is to edge glue a solid strip of
  • Rachael S
    Rachael S Chicago, IL
    Thanks all for your advice. I really appreciate it.

I did call Home Depot and they are able to special order a piece of red oak plywood for me. They can get it in 3/4" thick x

• Gabriel D
    Gabriel D Houston, TX
    I have a tree slab in fir that was a client's workbench top that sat on top of some old cabinets and is likely 70 + years in age. Luckily it was never drilled to accomondate a vice or bench grinder and was never fastened down so it has not even one hole
  • Gabriel D
    Gabriel D Houston, TX
    One expertly crafted piece.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Wood can be found in common lengths to 12' or more, getting this as a large slab however is not going to happen unless you pick a up "tree" slab. These can be $$$$
  • Rachael S
    Rachael S Chicago, IL
    I am painting the base cabinets white. They come in unfinished oak. I want to stain the top a dark walnut color, (my dining table and some other furniture in my home are this two- toned look as well and I love it!).
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    You did not tell us what the base cabinets are...painted, or real wood...if wood what type? cherry , oak, maple? Also the other woods that may be in this room will need to be considered as well. A maple cabinet with a oak top next to a cherry table
Rachael S