Transforming my Backyard into a Secret Garden- Part 1

back yard ideas 7 days ago
Love my backyard, but after a rainstorm it turns into a lake! I decided to completely get rid of the grass and transform it into a beautiful, peaceful flower garden retreat. I would not only be adding soil to the low spots which will help redirect the water, but I would create a beautiful space where I would much rather spend my time with the flowers and plants than cutting the grass :) Huge undertaking, but I was psyched up for it!
I began with a technique known as "lasagna gardening"- I covered all of the grass (and weeds!) with newspaper, cardboard or paper yard refuse bags- that was the first layer. Second layer, I topped that with a garden soil mix (topsoil, organic compost and peat). The third layer was the mulch. I was able to start planting my flowers and vines when there were no more frost advisories. While waiting for the weather to warm up, I started collecting the seedlings I wanted to plant. I also started growing some flowers from seeds. (I had an ENTIRE back yard to fill with flowers!!!) I planned my secret garden layout and I couldn't wait until I could actually start planting my flowers! At the end of May, I dug in.
For a more detailed description of the process, please visit my post http://ivylore.hubpages.com/hub/creating-gar...
(To see more here at Hometalk, please view "Transforming my Backyard into a Secret Garden- Part 2 and "Scenes from my Secret Garden"). Abracadabra, let the magic begin!
I also began growing some flowers from seeds since I would not be doing any planting until the threat of freezing would pass. In Michigan, that's not usually until late May :0
All the work was definitely worth it! This photo and the following were taken this past season (2014) -which was the next full season after I had begun this project! It has provided so much beauty and joy!
You can see more pictures of my garden and the plants and flowers I have in my garden in my other posts here on Hometalk. Thanks for viewing!
  • Pat Koltz
    Pat Koltz Oshkosh, WI
    Theresa J, (or anyone else) where can I find The Plant Exchange? I'm very interested in learning more.
  • Ivylore
    Ivylore Trenton, MI
    WOW, Pat, you have put in a lot of time, effort and love into your home! I really wish I could see your posts, unfortunately, I don't do facebook :( I wish you the best on your issues too!
  • Dahlia C
    Dahlia C Jourdanton, TX
    Your idea is so awesome. I've been thinking about how to transform my boring back yard and you have given me the inspiration. So easy and practical!
  • Ivylore
    Ivylore Trenton, MI
    Thanks, Dahlia! It really is a lot of work, though, But definitely worth it for me. To see what it is looking like now, please see "Scenes from my Secret Garden"
  • Dahlia C
    Dahlia C Jourdanton, TX
    I didn't mean to say that there was no work to it. I meant that the plans are not complicated. Yes, I know that I'll be putting in some sweat to make it happen. Oh, I see an opportunity for before and after photos! I love your photos! Keep up the hard work!
  • Dahlia C
    Dahlia C Jourdanton, TX
    Irma, how do I view Secret Garden Part 2?
  • Ivylore
    Ivylore Trenton, MI
    I think if you click on my picture it will take you to my posts. Look for "Transforming My Backyard into a Secret Garden- Part 2". Or I think if you search for my name or the title, it should take you there. I hope you'll find it. Thanks for your interest!
  • Deb
    Deb Mansfield, MA
    @Ivylore...did you have a problem with birds and/or squirrels, etc. digging in the mulch and then ripping up the newspaper? I tried this method (newspaper, then mulch) and it's created an awful mess! Bits of newspaper everywhere, and the mulch is pushed
  • Ivylore
    Ivylore Trenton, MI
    Hi Deb- it sounds like you didn't have a very good experience! Did you also put the layer of soil over the newspaper? Your comment only mentions the paper and the mulch. On top of the paper, I placed 10 yards of garden soil (which included topsoil,
  • Deb
    Deb Mansfield, MA
    No, I didn't add soil. This was an existing garden bed. I had read somewhere else to just put down the paper, wet it, and put mulch over it.
    • Ivylore
      Ivylore Trenton, MI
      Deb Oh, OK, It seems to me that soil would be needed over the paper. But I know how frustrating gardening issues can be. One of mine is that we have had so much rain this season that a
  • Maureen
    Maureen New Zealand
    When you backyard flooded, the best thing would have been to airate the soil. I Had the same problem with our front yard. Digging in a garden fork into the lawn helps break down the clay like soil. But having said that, my backyard was my 'straw on this
  • Verna Nicholas
    Verna Nicholas Parish, NY
    You should look for some plants for wet areas, they will help use up the water. Or at least they won't drown.
  • Dianne
    dianne Atlanta, GA
    Deb,the article you read concerning putting paper then mulch is to stop weeds. In order to do as Ivylore you must put soil also.
    • Ivylore
      Ivylore Trenton, MI
      Dianne Thanks, Dianne, you are absolutely right. I have added some recent photos of my garden so you can see how it's looking. This past season (2014) was the second full year after I began- please take a look.
  • White Oak Studio Designs
    Did you investigate why your yard continually filled up like a lake? Did you add a way for it to drain first (underground tubes that channel the water out and away before you planted? I would have recommended that first and then adding a lot of sand to
  • Shelley Bizari
    Shelley Bizari Rochester, NY
    I was thinking the same thing as White Oak Studio. What was keeping the yard from filling up with water again? Where these plants enough vs. grass to change that?
Ivylore