Plant Labels

Plant markers 04.21.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Fellow Hometalker Erica Glasener and I visited a new nursery together today and inevitably brought back a few plants. I bought a cardoon, which will grow into a large, spiky, distinctive plant. I'll put it by the street and I'm sure my neighbors will ask what it is.

My question is this: What are some interesting ideas for a label?

I'm not fond of plastic or wooden what have you used that worked well?

• Claudia C
    I've used old plastic blinds cut up for years. Only thing that they are good for after no one else wants them. Be sure to use a soft lead pencil thou as I've found that over the summer a permanant marker fades and then you can't read it. Cutting them
  • Michael N Patty S
    Michael N Patty S Crandall, GA
    Cardoon really caught my attention. My Italian grandfather used to go and pick them in a secret location years ago. My Mom and aunts would bread and fry them...delicious !
  • Kelly M
    Kelly M Chesapeake, VA
    I use small terra cotta pots turned upside down on top of sticks from the yard. I write the plant names on the pots with grease pencils. They are reusable, charming, and won't blow away.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Walter I never heard of a cardoon so I looked it up. Looks like a really pretty veggie. I'm glad you asked about how to label plants. I need to do that.
  • Lynette R
    Lynette R Maryville, TN
    I use old bleach and/or plastic laundry bottles (cleaned and washed out really well) and then I cut them in long strips with pointed ends. Markers work really well on them!! And they can be sanded and reused with different names on them.
  • Donna M
    Donna M Everett, WA
    Smallest of small plant pots on a stake whittled at the top to slide the pot on and marked with a marking pen.
  • Diana N
    Diana N Covington, GA
    Also have another idea where one would cut plastic deck lumber into thin slices. It would last more than one season and I'm thinking paint markers would stick to it an hold up to the weather. Anyone tried something like that?
  • Diana N
    Diana N Covington, GA
    Love the bottle idea. Instead of engraving, you could use glass paint from the craft store. I've got a bunch of small syrup bottles from Cracker Barrell.. hmmm... that might just work! Thanks!
  • Jason R
    Jason R Wood River, IL
    a laminated photo of the mature plant to be :-)
    CAROL H Harlem, GA
    I have two Cardoons in my garden. I started them from seed two years ago because I couldn't find them at the nurseries. They have yet to bloom, hopefully this year will be the year. I had them when I lived in So. Cal, they grow 5 foot tall and bloomed
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    What about using old CD's for double duty by punching the name on them and then tieing them above the veggies plants as scares ?
  • Marcy
    Marcy Southfield, MI
    All really nice ideas.
  • Melissa G
    Melissa G Atlanta, GA
    I bought vintage spoons like the ones above etched with herb names from Etsy. Some other good ideas on that site as well.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    ages ago we got some wire and metal "plate" type garden tags from williams sonoma or smith hawken... a grease pencil was used to label the blank metal part.
  • Pat G
    Pat G Monroe, GA
    About your cardoon -- do you plan on removing the flowers before the birds spread the seeds throughout the neighborhood? I also saw some interesting recipes on how to cook the stalks... did you purchase this type? Keep us updated on this plant later in
Walter Reeves

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post