Hometalk.com

04.04.14

Plant Labels

Fellow Hometalker Erica Glasener and I visited a new nursery together today and inevitably brought back a few plants. I bought a cardoon, which will grow into a large, spiky, distinctive plant. I'll put it by the street and I'm sure my neighbors will ask what it is.

My question is this: What are some interesting ideas for a label?

I'm not fond of plastic or wooden stakes.....so what have you used that worked well?

34 Comments Displaying 15 of 34 comments | See Previous
  • I've used old plastic blinds cut up for years. Only thing that they are good for after no one else wants them. Be sure to use a soft lead pencil thou as I've found that over the summer a permanant marker fades and then you can't read it. Cutting them
  • Lorraine D Huntington Woods, MI
    I use paint sticks from the paint store, then I laminate a pick of the seed packet or a pick of the plant and just hot glue it to the stick and stick in dirt. Cheap and easy!
  • Ellen H Cullman, AL
    Saw this at a public garden - flat stone with name painted on. Thought it was a great idea.
  • Southern Trillium LLC Stone Mountain, GA
    What is the best way to make a long lasting plant tag/label? I am looking for something that will not need re-writing every few years. I have heard people mention copper, zinc, plastic, and stainless steel items. I have also heard people mentioning
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    The botanic garden "stamped" metal will last forever...that's one main reason they use that type.
  • Kelly H Wichita, KS
    @KMS Woodworks I have not heard of the metal you refer to... ??
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Kelly...these tags used at the botanic gardens are aluminum strips about 1/2 " wide and 3" long or so. They "stamp" them with metal punches. then these are attached to a post or the tree\e / whatever with a short piece of wire.
  • Donna Marie P Buffalo, NY
    My Papa use to go through the neighborhoods and parks with his special fork looking tool and pick cardoons by the bagful and then we'd eat them breaded and fried or cooked with olive oil and garlic or in a frittata alone or with fried potatoes mmmm takes
  • Donna Zebulon, NC
    Try discarded mini blinds, You cut them at an angle so they are easy to push in the soil. Mark with permanent ink...will last one season and then you can reuse them on new plants or just rewrite...one blind makes many, many markers
  • Julie G Chardon, OH
    I've found that paint pens last even longer than permanent markers... you find them in the craft aisle of most big box stores, or at any place that sells art supplies
  • Look at this idea I stumbled across... twig markers!!
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    BeckySue, those are pretty. I have done really ugly versions of that before to mark plants, but these are great.
  • Chupike Belgium
    about the "stamped metal tags": I make my tags from aluminium soda cans, some cans are made of iron and do rust, but many soda cans are made of aluminium these days, which don't rust. Usually ALU is marked on the can itself but you can test it with a
  • Use old popsicle sticks or the tags off of bread bags