Hometalk.com

10.22.13

"Built in Privacy" ~ Custom Built Cedar Screens Added to Pergola

No matter where you live creating a sense of privacy is always important. It's not that you don't wish to be friendly, but when you want a little me time it's nice to be able to... Clear definition between public spaces in your yard and private spaces add to making your yard much more functional and aesthetically pleasing. Compare your 'outdoor rooms' with those inside your home; it's nice to have clear definition between the foyer, living room kitchen (public in a sense) and home office, den and bedrooms (the private). The in between space we refer to as the "Transition Zone." With in the 'transition zone' there should exist a clear demarcation that you are moving from one space to the next... "The Threshold." The most evident place for the transition from the front/public to the back/private is located in the side yard. Usually a space that is neglected, unused and only occupied when you're mowing the lawn.

The "Classic Cedar Pergola" was designed to create the entrance to the backyard... The Threshold. To assist in the creation of privacy, custom cedar panels were installed to the "Classic Cedar Pergola." From a distance it appears as a fence and the site line to the backyard is interrupted. The clay paver path zig-zags through the pergola establishing a smooth pedestrian flow. Privacy is established. The side

7 Comments Displaying 7 of 7 comments
  • Becky J Troy, IL
    that is so beautiful! Very nice job.
  • Lori J Broken Bow, NE
    This is utterly beautiful--feels very zen to me.
  • Absolutely perfect and beautiful at the same time having the good privacy. I like this a lot and hope others will like as well. Thanks for this explanation and sharing this with us.http://www.advancewindowsanddoors.com/
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Here's to the end of "same old, same old"! Love that flagstone path with the ligularia.
  • Thanks for the comments... I love it Douglas! "Here's to the end of 'same old, same old'!" ~ Glenn!
  • Kelly Miller Santa Ana, CA
    This is beautiful !!!!! nicely explained job.Perfect beautifully created .You can see the difference in the before and after photos.Adding privacy to the pergolas has turned out beautiful.
  • Kathleen Chattanooga, TN
    This layout is exactly like the side yard on our new house and exactly where I want to put one since a road runs by the house just passed the trees! Thanks for letting me see our yard completed :) If I can get Windows 8 to cooperate I'll send a side shot