Hometalk.com

Backyard Escapes 03.24.14

Spring is coming - can't wait to hit my hammock in my own Backyard Beach!

Just wanted to share my own little patch of paradise I made after I cut down a huge evergreen tree! I left up the stump about 6 feet tall because I always wanted a hammock. The problem was the nine foot area of lawn under the tree had died and was full of yuck. So I cleaned out the space, laid heavy plastic down, added a tiki-esque log border and added a LOT of sand. I wheeled it in a lawn spreader - much more manageable than a huge wheelbarrow. Added a thatch umbrella with u brackets drilled into the tree and a hammock. LOVE IT. I know - everyone yells at me about wild cats and animals but who cares - I rake the sand and have never found anything like that. I enjoy reading with my toes in the sand! Fins Up!
35 Comments Displaying 15 of 35 comments | See Previous
  • Great idea....all you need now is a wading pool to cool off in.
  • Sandy H Moravia, NY
    I love it Tracy....A backyard beach....So clever!!
  • Mary Lou R San Antonio, TX
    This is dreamy! I, however, have a neighbor with 7 cats.
  • Suzette G Gresham, OR
    So inviting. Great idea!
  • VP J Norcross, GA
    Adorable!
  • Sue A De Forest, WI
    Forget the kids! My husband and I would LOVE this in our backyard!!!
  • Angel H Fort Lauderdale, FL
    My final touches are: 2 CD players...one playing my regge/carribbean music& the other playing my ocean sounds! Close your eyes...you're there!
  • Kim M Radcliff, KY
    I love this idea! I love the beach and anyway to combine it with my outdoor area sounds great. I have 2 large trees that shade the side area that I already have a hammock in that is on a stand. Been trying to figure out what to do with that area. I'm
  • Tracy W Orland Park, IL
    Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback! :-) So sweet!
  • Vicki T New Brockton, AL
    love that...looks so tranquil and creative..way to go,Tracy! I may think about doing it
  • Roxy D Gainesville, GA
    yes, I really like that. I may need to borrow the idea, Thanks!!

• Kate F Raleigh, NC
    LOVE IT!!
  • Donna B Saint Peters, MO
    I just love it and have a spot next to my (under the deck) renovation (see on pinterest) and will take a run with your idea in that area - bought 2 children plastic beach chairs - unbrella - sandbucket - sand - (have lots of sea shells from vacations -
  • Donna B Saint Peters, MO
    The space I am (borrowing) this idea for is small that so I am doing it more as a visual and using child size beach chairs and small light up palm tree / small umbrella etc.
  • Judy4justice Pleasant Grove, AL
    I like it a lot!!