5 Years ~ Before & After in Our Fairfield Garden

Hard to believe but we just marked our fifth anniversary in our "new" old house. Many , many projects later, we still have a few major improvements to finish. This spring is exterior painting and new garage doors, but we are hiring those done. Even though I'm a good painter and have painted houses before , inside and out, my ladder days are over!
For me, the most rewarding changes have been accomplished in the landscape. My best friend teased the daylights out of me when we bought a house with "tortured shrubbery" (clipped into box and spiral shapes). But it was a half acre after a tiny lot and, even though two-thirds of it was covered in ivy and pachysandra, I knew there was a wonderful garden waiting to happen. And, there was a garden shed and an extra garage on the back of the house to store all my garden tools, pots and whatnot!
See and read some more at http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/5-years-... and on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/barbrosen/our-fairfield-...
"Before" ~ a few shrubs and tons of ivy and pachysandra. The side and backyards were so depressing I don't even have true "Before" pictures!
"After" ~ added and enlarged flower beds, arbors, a gazebo and other garden accents enhance the landscape.
"After" ~ a side yard full of ivy becomes a gazebo garden.
"Before" ~ side yard looks bleak even after ivy was cleared, a mulch path put in and new fencing for the dogs put up.
"After" ~ the garage is now a garden room, and a shade garden, deck and arbor have been added.
"After" ~ Three dead trees cut down and new flower beds and mulched paths made.

To see more: http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/5-years-before-after-in-our-fairfield-garden/

• Emma Dorsey
    Emma Dorsey Gainesville, GA
    You really did a great job making a beautiful spot. Thanks for sharing.
  • Linda Wright
    Linda Wright Norfolk, VA
    Thank you very much for sending me these photos..I am very grateful!!!
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks for stopping by to see my "big" project, Carol L ! Happy you like the results so far!
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Well, Plasmaborne4rel , I've never been "scooped" before!
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Oh, I still have lots more to do ,Debby Boyle ! I don't think your garden is ever truly finished, do you?
  • Debby Boyle
    Debby Boyle Necedah, WI
    Nice job! It take years of work to get your yard the way you want it. I have been working on mine for 5 years & still going. It feels like I will never get done so, I can just maintain & enjoy!
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    That's a lovely compliment Small Talk Mama ! Thanks!
  • Small Talk Mama
    Small Talk Mama Kansas City, MO
    It's beautiful. We're coming up on one year in our new old house and all the plans and dreams are just swimming around in my head. If we do half as well as you, I'll count it a success.
  • Carol L
    Carol L Moores Hill, IN
    Love what you have done! Thank you for the ideas!
  • Plasmaborne4rel
    Plasmaborne4rel Princeton, IN
    I scoop.it your article to http://scoop.it/t/garden-spot Thanks for the beautiful pictures and ideas
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, Barbara & Carol ~ I decided to start with the front curb appeal and then tackled one side at a time, saving the back for last. After a little lot, it was quite a lot to do and plan for. You know how it is, one project at a time as you can pay for
  • Barbara Foster
    Barbara Foster Two Rivers, WI
    Very nice. We are on our 2nd summer in our new home with almost 2 acres to work with. Still a work in progress.
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, Carlene Organized Clutter ! I somehow missed your comment last evening, sorry!
  • Carol B
    Carol B Wilton, CT
    I wouldn't have known where to begin! An amazing transformation showing imagination with a touch of humor.
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, Douglas Hunt ! When I was doing the post, my husband was really surprised by the "Before" pictures ~ he didn't remember the yard without all the plantings anymore! So,
Barb Rosen

Search Feedback