Fake Wainscoting Tutorial

DIY 20 hours ago

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
An easy way to update your home with decorative moldings.This is the finished product and we created the look of wainscoting by first adding a chair rail from Lowe's using a nail gun, painted the wall in a semi-gloss white paint. You can find more ideas at my blog, www.decorchick.com.
  • This is the finished product and we created the look of wainscoting by first adding a chair rail from Lowe's using a nail gun, painted the wall in a semi-gloss white paint (the same as our trim color), and added the boxes, also with a nail gun. And my walls are textured and the semi-gloss white paint still looks good. I would not recommend using liquid nails to hold the moldings up, just in case you ever decide you want to redo it. If you ever have tried to take something down that has been...
  • The box frames I actually cheated and bought already made at Lowe's. You can find them in their molding section. It is a bit more expensive to do it this way, but when you are short on time and short on the right tools, this is a great solution. Plus there is no mitering to do! But all you have to do with them is paint the same color as your white wall color and nail them up. And you might notice there is a big difference in the above pictures--the most recent picture is the one with the grey...
  • After you nail the boxes up you will want to caulk around everything and this is what I used and like this brand.
  • Here is a before photo with no moldings on the wall...
  • Here is a photo with just the chair rail and the boxes and the wall not painted white. Please note: Back when I did this project I didn't know to paint the wall white, so one day I just did it and loved the look even more. But if you do this project, PLEASE paint the wall white first before adding the boxes. Then you won't have to cut in around the frames etc which is a complete hassle. :)
  • And here is one more after photo. You'll also noticed we have hardwood floors now too! Yes, I can't stop with the projects. :) This faux wainscoting project was so easy to do and it completely changed the look of our home. We are very pleased!
  • Peg
    Peg Newtown Square, PA
    You did buy the box frames at Lowes? Can't seem to find at Home Depot on-line? Would love to just buy them and use like you did...
  • Stephen Tar
    Stephen Tar Paoli, PA
    Interiors are good.. ALL I need is the best homes for sale at Markham
  • Lori T
    Lori T Davenport, IA
    I'm always wanting to add to my ever growing collection of tools. I want to get a nail/ brad nailer next.
  • Lori T
    Lori T Davenport, IA
    Did you buy the nail gun or rent it?
  • Lori T
    Lori T Davenport, IA
    I just might do this project.. It looks very nice.
  • Sue G
    Sue G Chesapeake, VA
    Decorchic, I wish I had seen your article about a week ago. I spent a bundle buying Beadboard and Very nice railing. This went around my entire formal living room and down and back the hallway... LOL, I am always a day late ; )
  • Decorchick!
    Decorchick! Houston, TX
    Thank you! ;)
  • Sue G
    Sue G Chesapeake, VA
    Decorchick, I Totally LOVE what you did.. It is classy ; )
  • Sue G
    Sue G Chesapeake, VA
    @Michelle E. There is no way to do "cheap" Beadboard. I just put up near 9 sheets and very nice railing in the formal living room and entire hallway. But, I do not think it was expensive.for it being such a big space. Also, the first thing you see when
  • Steve G
    Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Linda, I think your helpful tutorial was meant for another thread.
  • Linda R
    Linda R Murrells Inlet, SC
    Andrea R....click the "add photos" on the bottom of the comment box. (explain what the photo is before you add the photo) Navigate o to where you store your pictures and click on the picture you want to add and click "Open" (Windows 7). They will
  • Decorchick!
    Decorchick! Houston, TX
    Hi Loretta, the paint color is Sherwin Williams Balanced Beige. Love this color! It's the perfect "greige"
  • P R
    P R Live Oak, FL
    beautiful !!!! :)
    LORETTA C Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Hi Decorchick,

Can you please tell me what color you used on your walls in picture 10? it looks like a shade of grey? Thanks !

• Patty S
    Patty S Sturgeon Bay, WI
    I did bead board and picture frame molding on all my kitchen and bath cabinets. I also did the interior doors. I did it myself.

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post