Fake Wainscoting Tutorial

Wainscoting Yesterday
An easy way to update your home with decorative moldings.This is the finished product and we created the look of wainscoting by first adding a chair rail from Lowe's using a nail gun, painted the wall in a semi-gloss white paint. You can find more ideas at my blog, www.decorchick.com.
  • This is the finished product and we created the look of wainscoting by first adding a chair rail from Lowe's using a nail gun, painted the wall in a semi-gloss white paint (the same as our trim color), and added the boxes, also with a nail gun. And my walls are textured and the semi-gloss white paint still looks good. I would not recommend using liquid nails to hold the moldings up, just in case you ever decide you want to redo it. If you ever have tried to take something down that has been...
  • The box frames I actually cheated and bought already made at Lowe's. You can find them in their molding section. It is a bit more expensive to do it this way, but when you are short on time and short on the right tools, this is a great solution. Plus there is no mitering to do! But all you have to do with them is paint the same color as your white wall color and nail them up. And you might notice there is a big difference in the above pictures--the most recent picture is the one with the grey...
  • After you nail the boxes up you will want to caulk around everything and this is what I used and like this brand.
  • Here is a before photo with no moldings on the wall...
  • Here is a photo with just the chair rail and the boxes and the wall not painted white. Please note: Back when I did this project I didn't know to paint the wall white, so one day I just did it and loved the look even more. But if you do this project, PLEASE paint the wall white first before adding the boxes. Then you won't have to cut in around the frames etc which is a complete hassle. :)
  • Meburke
    Meburke Darien, IL
    I may try to Judy S ... Thanks a small hand held miter box & me +wood!paint glue. I may try it!
  • Peg
    Peg Newtown Square, PA
    Went to Lowe's in Plymouth Meeting, Pa. & they do supply the pre-made framed boxes @ only $ 16.95 each. Needed five and measured & glued to the wall, chalked, lightly sanded and used Rich Lux semi-gloss white paint and turned out GREAT!
  • Pat Dollar
    Pat Dollar Joshua Tree, CA
    The wainscoting treatment is beautiful but what I really fell in love with is the fireplace mantel being used on the wall as a display shelf!
  • Bethanngreenberg
    Bethanngreenberg Escondido, CA
    This is awesome! What color did you end up painting the wall? I see it was a dark beige before.
  • Sue Moman Bowen
    Sue Moman Bowen Atchison, KS
    Thanks for a reminder of something I'd seen along time ago & wanted to try! I think I'll make my own frames tho.
Decorchick!