Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
03.18.12

Any suggestions for my yard?

I am in search for native plants and bushes and totally maintenance free. At this point I pay for someone to mow and weed wack WEEDS ONLY! I've decided to plant into the ground many of the potted plants I have. I also want to find shells for mulch and paths but don't know where to get it dumped from locally. I'm trying to figure out weather or not and how to get some privacy. I think I'll just get a short fence of sorts to hide the hitch, 'cause I hate it!

It's really just a blank canvas ...

17 Comments Displaying 15 of 17 comments | See Previous
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Pat, is it the lack of privacy that bothers you most? What are you looking to achieve by making changes? I'm asking because based on that we could probably give you better feedback :)
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Ann W
    Ann W Fort Pierce, FL
    that is a beautiful hibiscus you have that could be planted and grow 6 ft high and 6 ft wide so allow for that space if the desert rose (which is beautiful) is in a pot I'd leave it --when we get these FL frosts they are sensitive(lost mine) in a pot you
  • Pat S
    Pat S Titusville, FL
    Thank you Ann!! Writing and drawing as we speak!
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Pat, I commend your interest in going native, but please be aware that very few plants, natives included, are truly maintenance-free. At a minimum, you are going to have to commit to regular watering to get them started. Also, please get a soil test
  • Pat S
    Pat S Titusville, FL
    I'm still learning. I really should get the soil tested. I was told the soil (sand) was acidy(?) because it's been buried in pine needles forever. 6 trees were just cut down and I hope 2 more go too. I started trying to get the aloe and snake plants
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Pat, there's no way to know what your soil pH is without a test. I have sand under a pine and mine came back 7.7. The snake plant and aloe will be happy be happy out of the pots and in the ground. You can probably easily divide your areca if you want
  • Ann W
    Ann W Fort Pierce, FL
    another thing an old guy that worked at kmart garden center told me--in FL if you buy a bag of the cheapest manure or compost and plant your new plants in that combined with the sand anything will grow in Fl--I did grow climbling rose bushes in Jensen
  • Pat S
    Pat S Titusville, FL
    last year I did do newspaper, manure and top soil and miracle grow garden soil in sections and have a bag of manure left to use. Those pots are so root bond that I feel like I was digging ditches this morning from trying to get them out! But I am
  • Pat S
    Pat S Titusville, FL
    @ Miriam I want it all. I have these pots that have sat here for longer than I've lived here and last year potted plants that I know would do better in the ground. I'm looking to make beds and paths and will try to use the areca palms for some
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Pat, keep your eye out for local plant sales. This is the time of year for them and you'll get great prices. The Volusia County Master Gardener plant sale will be April 21 at the fairgrounds and there will be people lined up at 6 a.m. waiting to get in
  • Dan W
    Dan W Mazama, WA
    & do not weed wack! pull them, you will have better results!
  • Ann W
    Ann W Fort Pierce, FL
    you're right if you don't get the root of the weeds they;ll just come back in our climate====just do it by sections so you don't wear yourself out--it will be very cute and tropical when you're done have seen other trailor homes done like this in FL and
  • Pat S
    Pat S Titusville, FL
    Is this a Ti plant?? It is now 3 separate plants that I could move to spread it out. I don't know what the other is but it's spreading long branches out. Should I cut it back to be bushier?
  • John Madison Landscape, Inc.
    The purple plants are Hawaiian Ti Plant, Red Sister. You can move them now and split them just be sure to get as much of the root system as you can. The variegated bush is an Arbicola-Trinette, Sheffelara. You can cut them back now to promote new and
  • Pat S
    Pat S Titusville, FL
    Thank you so much John...consider it done!
Pat S

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!