All About Tomatoes - Growing, Eating and Canning!

05.28.15
Today's post is dedicated to our most beloved fruit- The Tomato! Yes, scientifically speaking, the tomato is a fruit, although we like so many others consider it a vegetable too :). No matter what you call them, tomatoes are delicious, nutritious and have thousands of uses fresh, frozen and canned - making them the perfect plant to grow in the garden!

Tomatoes are truly the most important crop we grow. Not just because we love to eat them - but because they are also the main ingredient in many of the canning jars we fill our pantry with each year from the garden. Salsa, pasta and pizza sauce, tomato juice, ketchup and sun-dried tomatoes are all canned each year from our tomato crop - providing us year round with great tasting food from the garden.

So what are some great varieties to grow? And what types do best for roasting, canning or eating fresh? Well, here is a little info to help you through tomato land:

Heirloom Varieties: The Perfect Fresh Tomato

There is a big push on today for heirloom tomatoes - and for good reason - they have amazing flavor, taste and texture. In general,

• A ripened Celebrity tomato waiting to be picked from the vine.
  • The Brandywine heirloom tomato
  • Tomato products make up a large part of our canning pantry
  • The rich texture of the Brandywine
  • There is nothing like home made tomato juice
  • Tomatoes!
  • Good soil and a lot of sun make for a big crop!

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/05/21/all-about-tomatoes-growing-eating-and-canning/

• Lori P
    Lori P New York, NY
    Had the first of the "Jersey tomatoes" last night with fresh basil, a bit of oregano and olive oil - A feast!
  • Ute Osborne
    Ute Osborne Corpus Christi, TX
    i am growing big beef tomatoes just now getting flowers on them how exciting !!i love to garden !!
  • Meg Wylie
    Meg Wylie Veradale, WA
    Barb M I am in the Northwest and grow all of my tomato plants in containers, mostly half black 55 gallon drums! A local Barrel Company sells the black plastic barrels cut in half I put crushed aluminum cans in the bottom fill half with potting soil and
  • JOY EARHART
    JOY EARHART Battle Ground, WA
    HAVEN'T CANNED IN OVER 30 YEARS, AND T

HEN ONLY JAM. A LADY IN THE STORE TOLD ME I HAVE TO CAN VEGETABLES IN A PRESSURE COOKER. DO I? AND HOW? I CAN'T REMEMBER

• Dylanthomasp
    dylanthomasp Athens, OH
    No, you don't have to use a pressure cooker. Get the glass jars with the metal two part lids, wash and dry and then pour boiling water over the lids and into the jars. Prepare your items for canning, fill the jars all the way to the top leaving just 1/4
Old World Garden Farms