Have you ever just seen a piece of furniture out at the curb and had a clear vision of what it could look like?? Well that's exactly what happened when I spied this foot stool. And I couldn't wait to get her home and get started. First I gave her a really good cleaning with a TSP mixture ( follow the directions on the label).
After she was good and dry, I took out the screws that held the top to the base. I carried the base outside and gave it three light coats ( allowing it to dry for a few minutes between each coat) of paint. I used Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X Ultra Cover Satin finish, the color is Black. I didn't even use the whole can. And did you happen to notice the special spray handle that I used??!! Coolest invention ever!!! I never ever spray paint without it. I no longer have to worry about getting the spray paint off of my hands . While the base was drying I started taking the gazillion staples out that were holding the fabric to the seat.
Once that was finally done, I cut out a piece of foam and laid it onto my material. For the material I used a leftover piece of white vinyl. I knew that I wanted it to be tufted, so I got out my button making kit. After figuring where I would place them and how many I would use, I cut out the circles and pressed them into the buttons.
In order to secure the buttons I needed to drill holes into the wood.
After the holes were all drilled I started threading the buttons through. It's helpful if you have another person at this point (which I didn't) It's not impossible to do by yourself, just a little awkward. Now I needed to press the button deep into the material with one hand while pulling the string ( I used a waxed thick string) on the underside with my other hand. Once I had the button as deep as I wanted, I pulled the string tight and held it while I brought my hand around to the bottom and secured it with a staple gun.
Once the buttons are done it's was time to staple down the material. I always start on the longer sides. I folded the material over the sides and onto the wood. I gave the material a little tug and stapled it down. I repeated this process until I was a couple of inches from the corners. I then stopped and went to the opposite side and did the same thing. Now when I was doing the short ends, I used hospital corners. So I tucked my edges in like I was wrapping a gift and then I folded the flap over the edges and stapled it down underneath.
Now I was ready to reattach it to the base.
It looked a little plain to me so being a total crafting DIY nut, I went into my stash (my husband calls it the bottomless pit, he just doesn't understand). I pulled out some leftover nail heads and added them which was exactly what it needed.