Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

REALLY Killing Weeds With Vinegar

For the Garden 7 days ago
For more details on this process, please visit the blog post below.

Lately, I've been seeing Pinterest boards and blogs with tutorials on how to make a vinegar weed killer. Friends, I'm here to tell you that their information is faulty and their vinegar weed killer will not work.

Most of the blogs that show vinegar weed killer recipes, show household vinegar with 5% acidity.

This.Will.NOT.Work. I repeat, This.Will.NOT.Work.

You need a vinegar that has AT LEAST 10% acidity PLUS a horticultural citrus oil. There is some controversy within the organic gardening community regarding vinegar strength. Very respected gardeners say that 10% acidity mixed with citrus oil will kill weeds.

For at least 10 years I have been using a 20% vinegar for my weed control. I have not tried 10% vinegar ~ but I trust the gardeners who say it will work. Many of them are diluting their 20% vinegar by cutting it in half and adding water. Doing this will give you two gallons of 10% vinegar.

To see more: http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2013/05/a-vinegar-weed-killer.html

287 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 287 comments | See Previous
  • Angela C
    One of the keys to SUCCESSFULLY dealing with weeds is to catch them while they are quite young. It does not matter if you are pulling, cultivating, or spraying - the earlier the better. If you let an area get choked with weeds, not matter what you do it
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Jean
    Jean Hatboro, PA
    Boiling water works too for the walk. It gets all my water from boiling corn on the cob. I kill a few weeds each night
    • Shelley
      Shelley Beaumont, TX
      Jean Plus you are putting back nutrients that seeped from the corn.
  • Robin Henning-Urbanek
    I would not use this mixture around my veggies or flowers, I pull or use a physical barrier. I live on a farm and have gravel/dirt driveway, no soil to worry about. But yes it might not be good for the soil. And for those who would rather use Round-Up r
  • Julie Dever
    Julie Dever Columbia, SC
    Used the straight1 gallon of white vinegar from Walmart with a tbsp of some dish soap. It took two applications a few days apart, but it killed the weeds in the aisles around my square foot garden boxes. That was in May. It is August and a few have
  • Jack Hammons
    Jack Hammons Pawnee, OK
    Does the vinegar only kill the weeds? I ran across this post and it is new to me. I have spent countless dollars trying to kill different kind of weeds, and year after year no progress. A little input please. Also would love suggestions on getting rid of
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    The recipe will kill plants as wells as weeds so caution is urged.
  • Angela C
    I have to bring this up.......excessive weeds are often a sign that the soil is not healthy. Everyone has a few weeds, but healthy soil that is properly mulched has far fewer weeds, and better plants. Get off of synthetic supplements, use compost (you
    • Catherine Smith
      Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
      Angela C Excellent advice. And do get a soil test done before you add amendments! All states have an extension service that can give you a soil testing kit for free. The kits come with
  • Grace Barella
    I use vinegar (5%) and salt and Dawn, IT DOES WORK!
  • Joan Dingeldein Caughlin
    Joan Dingeldein Caughlin Kansas City, MO
    Straight salt also works.
The Seasoned Homemaker