REALLY Killing Weeds With Vinegar

Yesterday
For more details on this process, please visit the blog post below.

Lately, I've been seeing Pinterest boards and blogs with tutorials on how to make a vinegar weed killer. Friends, I'm here to tell you that their information is faulty and their vinegar weed killer will not work.

Most of the blogs that show vinegar weed killer recipes, show household vinegar with 5% acidity.

This.Will.NOT.Work. I repeat, This.Will.NOT.Work.

You need a vinegar that has AT LEAST 10% acidity PLUS a horticultural citrus oil. There is some controversy within the organic gardening community regarding vinegar strength. Very respected gardeners say that 10% acidity mixed with citrus oil will kill weeds.

For at least 10 years I have been using a 20% vinegar for my weed control. I have not tried 10% vinegar ~ but I trust the gardeners who say it will work. Many of them are diluting their 20% vinegar by cutting it in half and adding water. Doing this will give you two gallons of 10% vinegar.

To see more: http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2013/05/a-vinegar-weed-killer.html

• Stacey nagle
    Stacey nagle Cazenovia, NY
    Former Organic garden consultant at Colgate University,Layer wet newspaper then mulch.in larger areas and I use vinegar and citrus oil in sprayer in cracks and walkway ,I can honestly say I am pretty much weedless .The ink on most newspapers is soy based
  • The Blooming Gardener
    The Blooming Gardener Los Gatos, CA
    If someone is using 5% vinegar, and has been, and it kills weeds for them, How can anyone post how wrong it is and that 5% vinegar will not kill weeds? I use it, have used it for twenty years and it kills weeds. (NOT old tough Giant weeds, DUH) and yes
    • Tracey
      Tracey Parker, CO
      I had an infestation of Canadian thistle and poured this straight from the bottle. Killed almost immediately. Any acidity dissipates. Unbelievable how this took care of the noxious weed in like 24 hrs!!
    • The Blooming Gardener
      The Blooming Gardener Los Gatos, CA
      Tracey It works great on thistle, and a few other big weeds, but not so much on big grasses or dandelions and most big weeds, but . yes it is so awesome to see a thistle patch disappear with something so natural.
  • Bill
    Bill Newland, NC
    I use the 5% vinegar with epsom salts salt AND IT WILL WORK. I've been using this formula for 5 years. It is not TOXIC to dogs or cats cause they don't like vinegar. !!!!!
    • Aubrey L
      Aubrey L Salem, VA
      Bill What proportions do you use. Thanks for posting....I would like to try this.
    • Bill
      Bill Newland, NC
      Aubrey L I use 1/4 cup dawn dish washing liquid. (the origional blue). 2 cups of epsom salts and1 gal. of vinegar. (I use laura lynn brand of vinegar, (white in color) bought at
  • The Blooming Gardener
    The Blooming Gardener Los Gatos, CA
    I am an educator of an Ongoing Organic Gardening Class, and I had a student use 5% vinegar on her weeds (I told the class several times it will kill any tiny weeds and other plants) that were in her lawn....She reported that she had killed her grass
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    Lowes - in the garden center. In Austin, TX. Also, area nurseries carry it, too.
  • Josh Joslin
    Josh Joslin Shelton, WA
    It works. It even kills blackberries that are established.
  • DORLIS
    DORLIS Silex, MO
    I use white vinegar from grocery store with 1 cup Dawn soap. Soap helps hold the vinegar on the leaves. It killed a 3 foot thistle to the ground.
  • Jane Long
    Okay, now that I see it kills weeds well, can anyone tell me if I can replant grass where the vinegar was used? And how soon?
  • Sharon
    Sharon Dille, WV
    My sister needs to find a natural weed killer for her creek bank. Is this safe to use near the water? Also, do you need to pull the weeds out when they droop or do they just wither up? This is not an easy area to access! Is this a lasting solution, or
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    Yes, but the water will dilute the solution and cause it to be less effective. It is effective if done correctly.
  • Johnsonsnest
    johnsonsnest Gonzales, LA
    How about on banana plants ??? Will this mixture work, or any other suggestions, Please and thank you.
  • Aubrey L
    Aubrey L Salem, VA
    I can not find 20% vinegar locally.
  • Joe pallett
    Joe pallett Little Elm, TX
    Try 1 gallon vinegar. 1 cup of salt. 1 quarter cup dish soap
    • Bill
      Bill Newland, NC
      Joe pallett I haven't tried the salt with the other ingridents. Will the salt hurt a pump up hand sprayer with rubber O rings.. ??????
    • Bill
      Bill Newland, NC
      I'm not a seasoned home maker, but the 5% Vinegar me and my wife use in our kitchen for making pickles, pickling Beets, pickled corn, etc, I use to make weed killer. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE 10% OR 20 % TO WORK. I'm 70 years old, I DON"T KNOW IT ALL CAUSE
  • Joe pallett
    Joe pallett Little Elm, TX
    Yes I used 5%vinegar
  • Joe pallett
    Joe pallett Little Elm, TX
    I have not had any problems with the orings.after you finish rinse your sprayer out.
The Seasoned Homemaker