REALLY Killing Weeds With Vinegar

05.11.16
For more details on this process, please visit the blog post below.

Lately, I've been seeing Pinterest boards and blogs with tutorials on how to make a vinegar weed killer. Friends, I'm here to tell you that their information is faulty and their vinegar weed killer will not work.

Most of the blogs that show vinegar weed killer recipes, show household vinegar with 5% acidity.

This.Will.NOT.Work. I repeat, This.Will.NOT.Work.

You need a vinegar that has AT LEAST 10% acidity PLUS a horticultural citrus oil. There is some controversy within the organic gardening community regarding vinegar strength. Very respected gardeners say that 10% acidity mixed with citrus oil will kill weeds.

For at least 10 years I have been using a 20% vinegar for my weed control. I have not tried 10% vinegar ~ but I trust the gardeners who say it will work. Many of them are diluting their 20% vinegar by cutting it in half and adding water. Doing this will give you two gallons of 10% vinegar.

To see more: http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2013/05/a-vinegar-weed-killer.html

on This Post

• Lee Detrick
    Lee Detrick West Liberty, OH
    works only temporarily.......then the nasty things are back.
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    The key to this treatment being effective is temperature and time of day. The soil should be fairly dry, the day sunny, and the temperature above 75-degreees.
  • Leilani Rowley Ottley
    I use household vinegar (5%) and add dawn dish soap. IT DOES KILL SOME WEEDS. You have to reapply just like some other weed killers but it does kill some weeds. It's a combination of vinegar and soap. Some recipies say to add Epson salts. Haven't tried
  • Ellen Forbes-Hoy
    I read this post and it said that it had to be the Blue dawn.
  • Connie Nikiforoff Designs
    The dish soap's use is a surfactant. I've used dish soap other than Dawn it works pretty well too.
The Seasoned Homemaker