REALLY Killing Weeds With Vinegar

Outdoor 8 hours ago
For more details on this process, please visit the blog post below.

Lately, I've been seeing Pinterest boards and blogs with tutorials on how to make a vinegar weed killer. Friends, I'm here to tell you that their information is faulty and their vinegar weed killer will not work.

Most of the blogs that show vinegar weed killer recipes, show household vinegar with 5% acidity.

This.Will.NOT.Work. I repeat, This.Will.NOT.Work.

You need a vinegar that has AT LEAST 10% acidity PLUS a horticultural citrus oil. There is some controversy within the organic gardening community regarding vinegar strength. Very respected gardeners say that 10% acidity mixed with citrus oil will kill weeds.

For at least 10 years I have been using a 20% vinegar for my weed control. I have not tried 10% vinegar ~ but I trust the gardeners who say it will work. Many of them are diluting their 20% vinegar by cutting it in half and adding water. Doing this will give you two gallons of 10% vinegar.

To see more: http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2013/05/a-vinegar-weed-killer.html

• Jean
    Jean Hatboro, PA
    Boiling water works too for the walk. It gets all my water from boiling corn on the cob. I kill a few weeds each night
    • Shelley
      Shelley Beaumont, TX
      Jean Plus you are putting back nutrients that seeped from the corn.
  • Robin Henning-Urbanek
    I would not use this mixture around my veggies or flowers, I pull or use a physical barrier. I live on a farm and have gravel/dirt driveway, no soil to worry about. But yes it might not be good for the soil. And for those who would rather use Round-Up r
  • Julie Dever
    Julie Dever Columbia, SC
    Used the straight1 gallon of white vinegar from Walmart with a tbsp of some dish soap. It took two applications a few days apart, but it killed the weeds in the aisles around my square foot garden boxes. That was in May. It is August and a few have
  • Jack Hammons
    Jack Hammons Pawnee, OK
    Does the vinegar only kill the weeds? I ran across this post and it is new to me. I have spent countless dollars trying to kill different kind of weeds, and year after year no progress. A little input please. Also would love suggestions on getting rid of
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    The recipe will kill plants as wells as weeds so caution is urged.
  • Angela C
    I have to bring this up.......excessive weeds are often a sign that the soil is not healthy. Everyone has a few weeds, but healthy soil that is properly mulched has far fewer weeds, and better plants. Get off of synthetic supplements, use compost (you
    • Catherine Smith
      Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
      Angela C Excellent advice. And do get a soil test done before you add amendments! All states have an extension service that can give you a soil testing kit for free. The kits come
    • Rhonda
      Rhonda Knoxville, TN
  • Grace Barella
    I use vinegar (5%) and salt and Dawn, IT DOES WORK!
  • Joan Dingeldein Caughlin
    Joan Dingeldein Caughlin Kansas City, MO
    Straight salt also works.
  • Pam Herrmann
    Pam Herrmann Holly, MI
    Where can you buy 10% acidic vinegar? Any local grocers?
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    I get mine at Lowes.
  • DeMarie I
    DeMarie I Benkelman, NE
    Walmart carries 10% vinegar in it's cleaning supplies area.
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    Thanks for sharing this. I will check it out.
  • Kay Voss
    Kay Voss Brewster, MN
    I take boiling water from stove (or cooking water) and pour directly on weeds. Kills them dead for the season! Use the boiling water I would normally toss! Use this where weeds are 'grouped', not close to flowers and such.
  • Joyce Hochsprung
    Joyce Hochsprung Stewart, MN
    Just remember hat vinegar will also kill toads, your friends in the garden, so please be careful regardless of what you use.
  • Rhonda
    Rhonda Knoxville, TN
    I had a large patch of English ivy in my front yard that I wanted to eliminate. I sprayed it with round up which barely had any effect on it at all and then doused it with their extra strength version (brush and tough weed?) which also had very little
The Seasoned Homemaker