REALLY Killing Weeds With Vinegar

For more details on this process, please visit the blog post below.

Lately, I've been seeing Pinterest boards and blogs with tutorials on how to make a vinegar weed killer. Friends, I'm here to tell you that their information is faulty and their vinegar weed killer will not work.

Most of the blogs that show vinegar weed killer recipes, show household vinegar with 5% acidity.

This.Will.NOT.Work. I repeat, This.Will.NOT.Work.

You need a vinegar that has AT LEAST 10% acidity PLUS a horticultural citrus oil. There is some controversy within the organic gardening community regarding vinegar strength. Very respected gardeners say that 10% acidity mixed with citrus oil will kill weeds.

For at least 10 years I have been using a 20% vinegar for my weed control. I have not tried 10% vinegar ~ but I trust the gardeners who say it will work. Many of them are diluting their 20% vinegar by cutting it in half and adding water. Doing this will give you two gallons of 10% vinegar.

• Household vinegar will NOT kill weeds. Read how to REALLY kill weeds with vinegar.
  • You need at least a 10-20% vinegar plus horticultural orange oil (or other citrus oil)
  • You need to apply it with a spray bottle when the sun is bright, the ground is dry, and the temperature is above 70-degrees.
  • This type of sprayer will tackle larger jobs.
  • There are a few companies that have pre-mixed the strong vinegar solution with a citrus oil.

To see more: http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2013/05/a-vinegar-weed-killer.html

• Susan
    Susan Saline, MI
    Where can you purchase that strength of vinegar...I haven't seen it....
  • Sandra
    Sandra Helena, AL
    I would like to know where you can purchase the 10 ,15 or 20% vinegar. I live in Birmingham, Al. I went to Home Depot and they did not have any.
  • Wanda F
    Wanda F Dothan, AL
    I used water & ice cream salt to kill chinaberry trees, which here in the south are the hardest things to get rid of. I cut the tree down first, then covered the stump with a gallon of it. I used 1 box of salt to a gallon of water. Getting to the root of
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    Try a garden center that specializes in natural methods. They will usually have it there.
  • Linda B
    Linda B Oak Ridge, NC
    I think a company like Gardener's Supply, online, might also carry the horticultural vinegar. I just googled it, and Amazon and other folks stock it. Again, caution is called for: that's strong stuff that can cause blindness if it gets in your eyes and
The Seasoned Homemaker