REALLY Killing Weeds With Vinegar

Garden 13 hours ago
For more details on this process, please visit the blog post below.

Lately, I've been seeing Pinterest boards and blogs with tutorials on how to make a vinegar weed killer. Friends, I'm here to tell you that their information is faulty and their vinegar weed killer will not work.

Most of the blogs that show vinegar weed killer recipes, show household vinegar with 5% acidity.

This.Will.NOT.Work. I repeat, This.Will.NOT.Work.

You need a vinegar that has AT LEAST 10% acidity PLUS a horticultural citrus oil. There is some controversy within the organic gardening community regarding vinegar strength. Very respected gardeners say that 10% acidity mixed with citrus oil will kill weeds.

For at least 10 years I have been using a 20% vinegar for my weed control. I have not tried 10% vinegar ~ but I trust the gardeners who say it will work. Many of them are diluting their 20% vinegar by cutting it in half and adding water. Doing this will give you two gallons of 10% vinegar.

• Household vinegar will NOT kill weeds. Read how to REALLY kill weeds with vinegar.
  • You need at least a 10-20% vinegar plus horticultural orange oil (or other citrus oil)
  • You need to apply it with a spray bottle when the sun is bright, the ground is dry, and the temperature is above 70-degrees.
  • This type of sprayer will tackle larger jobs.
  • There are a few companies that have pre-mixed the strong vinegar solution with a citrus oil.

To see more:

• Linda B
    Linda B Oak Ridge, NC
    I think a company like Gardener's Supply, online, might also carry the horticultural vinegar. I just googled it, and Amazon and other folks stock it. Again, caution is called for: that's strong stuff that can cause blindness if it gets in your eyes and
  • Alfr1
    alfr1 Greencastle, IN
    Or you can take an old pan and boil away half of it on the stove at a medium boil. The strength of the Vinegar without the water raises the acidity greatly. DO NOT PUT ON YOUR SKIN, WILL CAUSE SPOTS AND CHEMICAL BURN TO SKIN. At regular 5%, you can drink
  • Debbie t
    debbie t Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vinegar will sure kill the ornamental ivies that are invasive. I read that on Pintrest and it really worked for me, and all the weeds around it died too...just saying...
  • Tracey
    Tracey Parker, CO
    I disagree I had a very noxious weed, Canadian Thistle and pour straight distilled vinegar and it killed them all almost instantly last year and didn't even come back at all this year.
    DORLIS Silex, MO
    I may have to go to the 10% for japanese honeysuckle bush. It likes regular vinegar, turns yellow for a day or 2 and then back to green. It is taking over in my part of Missouri and state parks are spending a lot on killing it.
The Seasoned Homemaker

Search Feedback