REALLY Killing Weeds With Vinegar

For the Garden 8 hours ago
For more details on this process, please visit the blog post below.

Lately, I've been seeing Pinterest boards and blogs with tutorials on how to make a vinegar weed killer. Friends, I'm here to tell you that their information is faulty and their vinegar weed killer will not work.

Most of the blogs that show vinegar weed killer recipes, show household vinegar with 5% acidity.

This.Will.NOT.Work. I repeat, This.Will.NOT.Work.

You need a vinegar that has AT LEAST 10% acidity PLUS a horticultural citrus oil. There is some controversy within the organic gardening community regarding vinegar strength. Very respected gardeners say that 10% acidity mixed with citrus oil will kill weeds.

For at least 10 years I have been using a 20% vinegar for my weed control. I have not tried 10% vinegar ~ but I trust the gardeners who say it will work. Many of them are diluting their 20% vinegar by cutting it in half and adding water. Doing this will give you two gallons of 10% vinegar.

To see more: http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2013/05/a-vinegar-weed-killer.html

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • DORLIS
    DORLIS Silex, MO
    I may have to go to the 10% for japanese honeysuckle bush. It likes regular vinegar, turns yellow for a day or 2 and then back to green. It is taking over in my part of Missouri and state parks are spending a lot on killing it.
  • Lyn Therese
    Lyn Therese Muskego, WI
    You can get Household vinegar at Walmart cheap. It comes in a gallon plastic jug. It says Household vinegar. The vinegar that people think they can use is a distilled vinegar. The household vinegar is stronger. This kind of vinegar is what should be used
  • Elaine
    Elaine Canada
    I've seen "recipes" calling for vinegar, salt and so on. No need for this. Just buy "Pickling Vinegar" (much stronger than regular), fill up a $ store mister and go out on a hot, sunny day so the sun/vinegar have hours to burn the weeds. I try to
  • Bill
    Bill Newland, NC
    seasoned Homemaker You are putting something on here that is NOT TRUE. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vinegar, epsom salt and some Dawn dish liquid will, I say will kill weeds and grass. I use regular vinegar, 5 per cent. I use it on a cloudy day or sun shinny day. It
    • Karenlin91
      Karenlin91 Rancho Cordova, CA
      Bill Bill, you use Epsom salt? I just read somewhere that it is good for greening up grass and plants. Don't think I will try the Epsom salt for that purpose, lol
  • Elaine
    Elaine Canada
    Yes, as I said, make sure you buy the (stronger) "Pickling Vinegar" which is inexpensive and use straight (just it alone) on a hot, dry sunny day ensuring the weeds are in the sun for as many hours as possible. I find with the Pickling Vinegar, you
The Seasoned Homemaker