REALLY Killing Weeds With Vinegar

12 hours ago
For more details on this process, please visit the blog post below.

Lately, I've been seeing Pinterest boards and blogs with tutorials on how to make a vinegar weed killer. Friends, I'm here to tell you that their information is faulty and their vinegar weed killer will not work.

Most of the blogs that show vinegar weed killer recipes, show household vinegar with 5% acidity.

This.Will.NOT.Work. I repeat, This.Will.NOT.Work.

You need a vinegar that has AT LEAST 10% acidity PLUS a horticultural citrus oil. There is some controversy within the organic gardening community regarding vinegar strength. Very respected gardeners say that 10% acidity mixed with citrus oil will kill weeds.

For at least 10 years I have been using a 20% vinegar for my weed control. I have not tried 10% vinegar ~ but I trust the gardeners who say it will work. Many of them are diluting their 20% vinegar by cutting it in half and adding water. Doing this will give you two gallons of 10% vinegar.

To see more: http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2013/05/a-vinegar-weed-killer.html

on This Post

• Elaine
    Elaine Canada
    Yes, as I said, make sure you buy the (stronger) "Pickling Vinegar" which is inexpensive and use straight (just it alone) on a hot, dry sunny day ensuring the weeds are in the sun for as many hours as possible. I find with the Pickling Vinegar, you
  • Sue Newman
    Sue Newman Aurora, CO
    Please share the recipe that uses epsom salts, vinegar and Dawn.
  • Bill
    Bill Newland, NC
    I use 1 gallon of white vinegar, ( brown will work too.) 2 cups of epsom salts, and 1/2 cup of Dawn dish wash detergent. The original blue kind. Pour enough vinegar out of the jug so that you can put the epsom salts and dawn in the jug, refill the jug
    • Gina Tidwell-Percival
      Bill I used this on poisin ivy and English ivy that was taking over a portion of my yard last year Yes, it DOES work!
  • Lee Detrick
    Lee Detrick West Liberty, OH
    works only temporarily.......then the nasty things are back.
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    The key to this treatment being effective is temperature and time of day. The soil should be fairly dry, the day sunny, and the temperature above 75-degreees.
The Seasoned Homemaker