REALLY Killing Weeds With Vinegar

04.19.15
For more details on this process, please visit the blog post below.

Lately, I've been seeing Pinterest boards and blogs with tutorials on how to make a vinegar weed killer. Friends, I'm here to tell you that their information is faulty and their vinegar weed killer will not work.

Most of the blogs that show vinegar weed killer recipes, show household vinegar with 5% acidity.

This.Will.NOT.Work. I repeat, This.Will.NOT.Work.

You need a vinegar that has AT LEAST 10% acidity PLUS a horticultural citrus oil. There is some controversy within the organic gardening community regarding vinegar strength. Very respected gardeners say that 10% acidity mixed with citrus oil will kill weeds.

For at least 10 years I have been using a 20% vinegar for my weed control. I have not tried 10% vinegar ~ but I trust the gardeners who say it will work. Many of them are diluting their 20% vinegar by cutting it in half and adding water. Doing this will give you two gallons of 10% vinegar.

To see more: http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2013/05/a-vinegar-weed-killer.html

• Grace Barella
    I use vinegar (5%) and salt and Dawn, IT DOES WORK!
  • Joan Dingeldein Caughlin
    Joan Dingeldein Caughlin Kansas City, MO
    Straight salt also works.
  • Pam Herrmann
    Pam Herrmann Holly, MI
    Where can you buy 10% acidic vinegar? Any local grocers?
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    I get mine at Lowes.
  • DeMarie I
    DeMarie I Benkelman, NE
    Walmart carries 10% vinegar in it's cleaning supplies area.
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    Thanks for sharing this. I will check it out.
  • Kay Voss
    Kay Voss Brewster, MN
    I take boiling water from stove (or cooking water) and pour directly on weeds. Kills them dead for the season! Use the boiling water I would normally toss! Use this where weeds are 'grouped', not close to flowers and such.
  • Joyce Hochsprung
    Joyce Hochsprung Stewart, MN
    Just remember hat vinegar will also kill toads, your friends in the garden, so please be careful regardless of what you use.
  • Rhonda
    Rhonda Knoxville, TN
    I had a large patch of English ivy in my front yard that I wanted to eliminate. I sprayed it with round up which barely had any effect on it at all and then doused it with their extra strength version (brush and tough weed?) which also had very little
    • The Blooming Gardener
      The Blooming Gardener Los Gatos, CA
      Rhonda I use a soap water spray first to break through the shiny leaf surface, then when it's dry spray regular strength RU. Don't let the stuff drip into the soil don't water for
  • Stacey nagle
    Stacey nagle Cazenovia, NY
    Former Organic garden consultant at Colgate University,Layer wet newspaper then mulch.in larger areas and I use vinegar and citrus oil in sprayer in cracks and walkway ,I can honestly say I am pretty much weedless .The ink on most newspapers is soy based
  • The Blooming Gardener
    The Blooming Gardener Los Gatos, CA
    If someone is using 5% vinegar, and has been, and it kills weeds for them, How can anyone post how wrong it is and that 5% vinegar will not kill weeds? I use it, have used it for twenty years and it kills weeds. (NOT old tough Giant weeds, DUH) and yes
  • Bill
    Bill Newland, NC
    I use the 5% vinegar with epsom salts salt AND IT WILL WORK. I've been using this formula for 5 years. It is not TOXIC to dogs or cats cause they don't like vinegar. !!!!!
  • The Blooming Gardener
    The Blooming Gardener Los Gatos, CA
    I am an educator of an Ongoing Organic Gardening Class, and I had a student use 5% vinegar on her weeds (I told the class several times it will kill any tiny weeds and other plants) that were in her lawn....She reported that she had killed her grass
  • The Seasoned Homemaker
    Lowes - in the garden center. In Austin, TX. Also, area nurseries carry it, too.
  • Josh Joslin
    Josh Joslin Shelton, WA
    It works. It even kills blackberries that are established.
The Seasoned Homemaker