Here is what you can do with a mostly shady backyard. Get rid of the grass and make it a place to enjoy.

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Here is what can be done with a typical backyard, where the grass struggles to survive. There was the sloped section that was covered with pinestraw. The existing plants were the dogwood and the large masses of azaleas. We worked around those items to transform the yard. The homeowner wanted a patio space, and by pushing it out into the yard, it also becomes something that is beautiful to look at when inside the home.
We removed all the grass, and after adding several tons of different rocks, the homeowner has a new yard. The overall desire was to keep it looking very natural. The 400 groundcovers, 86 perennials, 48 shrubs, and 1 tree will now need to grow and fill in the areas. In just a couple years, I will have to return to take photos of the area as it matures.
The view coming around the house from the driveway.
Looking up at the pergola we built for the client. You can see the solid stone bridge set over the dry stream bed.
A look from further down the yard. This shows more of the elevations and the stonework.
This is a before view of what we started with. Although it is not the exact same angle, it provides an idea that nothing was there except the dogwood in the middle. You can also tell that we began working on the design phase with this client a few seasons ago, while leaves were still on the dogwood. We stay on a backlog of work, so by the time we did the installation, it was springtime.
  • Caroline
    Caroline Troy, NY
    Our small building courtyard does not get much sun. Basically we are growing three types of moss. How do we propergate them. Is there a garden supply company that specializes in moss? Also we seem to have a black mold attacking some of it.
  • Flowerscapes Garden Design & Landscaping
    Beautiful, as always!
  • Jane Kizzia
    Jane Kizzia Nashville, AR
    I have a problem area that I would love to do this in, and there are a couple of big trees to work around. I have access to plenty of pine needles. My concern is what to do with all the leaves in the Fall, & there will be lots! I normally use a blower,
  • Wanda sinnema
    Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
    I do love the setting for this,,,,BUT a few comments.. ROUND-UP is being banned in many states (washington for one) it is killing the bee population. not to mention it gets into all the soil and the runoff water not healthy for us, our pets, wildlife, or
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I will post some pictures IF I can get this looking better. We have faced one delay in getting our yard in shape this year from one problem to another...late spring, too much rain, some old back problems (ha), and putting most of our work effort into
  • Envy Lawn
    Envy Lawn Dalton, GA
    Because of the pine straw, has there been more bugs or moist ground (potentially bringing mold into the picture)? Couldn't another option could have been the use of artificial grass?
  • Teresa D
    Teresa D Snellville, GA
    Love it! This is very much what I want in my backyard!
  • Kathy
    Kathy Box Springs, GA
    I love the naturalization. When we first moved to our house over 25 years ago there was nothing but red clay. Over the years we have stuggled with grass. As we began to age, each year I kill more grass and extend the naturalization area. In front we have
Southern Trillium LLC

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post