Here is what you can do with a mostly shady backyard. Get rid of the grass and make it a place to enjoy.

backyard idea 05.11.15
Here is what can be done with a typical backyard, where the grass struggles to survive. There was the sloped section that was covered with pinestraw. The existing plants were the dogwood and the large
  • The view coming around the house from the driveway.
  • Looking up at the pergola we built for the client. You can see the solid stone bridge set over the dry streambed.
  • A look from further down the yard. This shows more of the elevations and the stonework.
  • This is a before view of what we started with. Although it is not the exact same angle, it provides an idea that nothing was there except the dogwood in the middle. You can also tell that we began working on the design phase with this client a few seasons ago, while leaves were still on the dogwood. We stay on a backlog of work, so by the time we did the installation, it was springtime.
  • Elle
    Elle Canada
    Sheryll S, plain old salt is the last thing you need in your garden soil or water table. Just because it's natural does not make it environmentally sound. Keep the salt in the kitchen.
  • Kathy
    Kathy Box Springs, GA
    I love the naturalization. When we first moved to our house over 25 years ago there was nothing but red clay. Over the years we have stuggled with grass. As we began to age, each year I kill more grass and extend the naturalization area. In front we have
  • Teresa D
    Teresa D Snellville, GA
    Love it! This is very much what I want in my backyard!
  • Envy Lawn
    Envy Lawn Dalton, GA
    Because of the pine straw, has there been more bugs or moist ground (potentially bringing mold into the picture)? Couldn't another option could have been the use of artificial grass?
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I will post some pictures IF I can get this looking better. We have faced one delay in getting our yard in shape this year from one problem to another...late spring, too much rain, some old back problems (ha), and putting most of our work effort into
Southern Trillium LLC