Hometalk.com

04.23.12

Is peeling paint on house due to poor paint job or too much rain/water?

The paint on the side where I water my garden is peeling off. Had house painted three years ago. I know it didn't help that I watered my house but should it have damaged the paint this bad?
10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • Clay B Chesapeake, VA
    Could be many factors. Too many layers of paint, gets heavy, and can peel and fall off. Sometimes the wood needs to be sanded so primer and paint can stick. If wood was wet or contained too much moisture before you painted, that can cause peeling. Is
  • Could this be the afternoon sun side too?

A picture would be nice.

• Ginny C Woodstock, GA
    It is the the afternoon sun side. It's wood siding, not sure about the kind of paint but I think it was water based. The wood is so wet where it's been peeling that I can actually press into it with my fingers. If I get it to try out would I be able to
  • Minwax makes a wood repair kit which is like bondo. You can also first brush on their wood hardener which is a wood fortifier or solidifier that bonds loose wood fibers together.
  • Ginny C Woodstock, GA
    Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.
  • Ginny, the other loose paint areas need to be scraped and sanded until only firm paint remains. After washing and thoroughly dried, use oil base primer on the bare areas. Then you are ready to brush/roll apply two coats of top-line finish paint for the
  • Ginny C Woodstock, GA
    thanks all
  • Clay B Chesapeake, VA
    If you can press your finger into the wood, you need to replace the siding in that area. Better to replace the siding before it rots the plywood/structure underneath that.
  • Pam D Alexandria, LA
    Did your painter use oil or latex base paint?
  • Clay B Chesapeake, VA
    One more thought, once siding is fixed, think about watering with a soaker hose.