Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
07.08.13

How do you get rid of nut grass permanently?

We have a problem with nut grass. (My mother bought dirt from a nursery and it was in the dirt) We pull it and its back in back in a week. She has used Roundup and it doesnt work. She bought a " nutgrass killer selective herbicide" by a company called Monterey this also had no effect. As you can see from pics below.
23 Comments Displaying 15 of 23 comments | See Previous
  • Tammy@Deja Vue Designs
    The best way I have found to get rid of nut grass....is to soak the area really well...and slowly pull them up. If you pull slowly they won't break...and you'll get the roots and all. I have completely cleaned out a bed that was covered up in nut
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Heather (New House New Home)
    Depending on how much room there is around the other plants, I would suggest putting black garbage bags over the nut grass. The heat and lack of light should kill anything under the plastic. I use this method to kill of any grass when I'm building new
  • Kathy
    Kathy Norway, SC
    My grandfather, who was a farmer, said the only way to get rid of nutgrass is to MOVE! We have a really good crop of it every year, sorry to say....
  • Judy
    Judy Grants Pass, OR
    Heather is on the right track but I'd suggest pulling the nut grass before putting down the plastic then covering it with a layer of mulch. The lack of water & light will kill most any plant.
  • Mary Tonningsen
    Mary Tonningsen Antelope, CA
    Is Nut Grass the same as Nut Sedge? If so, my understanding is that they thrive on water (especially over-watering) and it grows like crazy by my pond. If yours is in an area where you can let it really dry out for a long time, that might do the trick.
  • Sally B
    Sally B Sun City Center, FL
    I too battle this grass and found the best practice is to use a spade and run it deep enough to pull out the entire root. If you pull on it and just the grass comes up I found that it will multiply on you. I don't cover anything in black plastic anymore
  • Kathy Devencenzi
    Kathy Devencenzi Stockton, CA
    Thank you for all your advice and tip I will keep all of you posted with the outcome.
  • GA Kimball
    GA Kimball Billings, MT
    Move!
  • Debby Boyle
    Debby Boyle Necedah, WI
    When I had it I had to pull it all out and use round-up on the area. You can plant 2 weeks after round-up is used.
  • Debra D
    Debra D Katy, TX
    About 15 years ago, I had the same problem from a dirt yard. They also claimed no responsibility. I tried all of the above and nothing got rid of it. In the "off" season, I dug up the whole bed about a foot deep when it was soft and sifted all the stupid
  • Phyllis W
    Phyllis W Saint Pauls, NC
    I am convinced that if we could find a good use for it - Nutgrass tea, Nutgrass mats, Nutgrass salad, It would be suddenly scarse. I keep working on this concept but keep pulling and digging out the 'nut'. Wet ground is easiest. Good luck Kathy.
  • Alisa W
    Alisa W Huntsville, TX
    I can tell you what doesn't work...I have it around my rose garden. News paper and mulch does not work. I saw it on Pintrest and tried it. Weeds still came through, especially the nut grass. I tried the weed killer designed for it and was not impressed.
  • Dale B
    Dale B Tyler, TX
    I do landscaping and have had some success using the chemical "Image". It is somewhat selective, but must be used while the nut grass is actively growing before the leaves harden off. It is absorbed better through new growth and sometimes takes 2
  • Kathy Devencenzi
    Kathy Devencenzi Stockton, CA
    Dale B. Tyler TX thank you for your comment, but we are wondering where we could purchase the Chemical "Image"?
  • Debra D
    Debra D Katy, TX
    Kathy, I have seen IMAGE at my local Lowe's Home Improvement store here in Texas. Do you have them in CA?
Kathy Devencenzi
  • Likes

Abigail L Dana Robinson A Nest for All Seasons Nancy L McDaniel Summers Susie Smith