Repairing rotted door jambs.

Awesome Remodels 04.11.14
My customer had 6 door jambs that had rot in about the same place and size. These were large double door units and I did not want to remove the unit and replace the complete jamb.
  • My customer had 6 door jambs that had rot in about the same place and size. These were large double door units and I did not want to remove the unit and replace the complete jamb.
  • I cut out the rotted area and cut the brick molding a little higher than the removed area.
  • You can buy at the big box store replacement door jambs. I cut and fitted a replacement piece. I have a router bit to cut a slot the thickness of a biscuit. I cleaned the area well and put a bed of caulking in. Then secured the replacement piece with the biscuit, shims, gorilla glue and brads. The brick molding was put on and it covered the slot for the biscuit and gives strength to the repair.
  • This is the finished repair waiting for paint. The material for this job was less than $75.00, but a lot of labor. I hope that this will help someone in the future.
  • Steve G
    Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    That's great to know. Thanks for the detailed photos and explanations. I think I am not far from this project for the back door to my garage. The rest of my doors are thankfully better protected but that one's pretty exposed and has been in standing
  • Jim P
    Jim P Fairburn, GA
    Steve, the replacement jambs I bought are treated for rot protection. You may want to replace the whole jamb in your case. They run about $25.00 and come with the weather proof gasket installed.
  • HandyANDY - Handyman & All Repairs, LLC
    HandyANDY does these types of repairs everyday. Great pics. You probably did cut the frame at an angle as well...just like the brick molding so any moisture can shed to the front. The key to these repairs isn't using "rot-proof" materials but making
  • Cher @ Designs By Studio C
    Thanks so much for sharing! I have to repair the jambs in my home and I appreciate your instructions!
  • Cindy Luby
    Cindy Luby Plano, TX
    Thank you so much for this post. I know many people that have this probelm.
Jim P