Paper Top Tutorial

DIY 09.11.15
This offers a fabulous finish when done right! Here is a quick little tutorial on using paper as a new faux top. The great side to this is, using different crumpling techniques and different stains can give you many varied outcomes! The only limit is your fear to experiment. After all, it's only paper. If you don't like it, change it! Recipe and instructions are on the photos as you browse them. Hope it helps and have fun with it!!!
Time: 60 Minutes Cost: $45 Difficulty: Easy
  • Here is the final look when applied to a piece of furniture. I have also seen a great tutorial on Hometalk here using it for flooring
  • Here is a closeup after 4 coats of a polyurethane
  • I chose to use a woodglue that dries clear, you can use almost any crafting glue though. I figured the wood glue would dry harder.
  • The jist of this technique is to use brown paper, or paper bags. Crumple them up and soak them in a 50-50 glue to water ratio, then smooth them out how you want them to appear on your piece.
  • Here it is once the paper has been placed and waiting to dry. Make sure when you are smoothing the paper onto the surface that you really take the time to make sure all the air bubbles are out.
  • Once it has been applied, simply walk away for 24 hours and let it dry and cure and then choose any stain you like and stain it. And again, walk away for 24 hours and let it cure. If you want it darker, add more stain after.
  • I stripped the top right clean to allow the glue to seep into the wood grain for better adhesion. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes in the long run, but this was just a personal choice.
  • It REFUSED to open! hence why I got the piece so cheap. however, with pieces this old, the secret is, simply putting the drawers in the right hole! Once they were out, they went back in smoothly and open fine now!
  • Gypsy Barn
    Gypsy Barn Canada
    I'm sure you could, however it would be pretty bumpy looking unless you clear coat a lot to fill in the tiny ridges. Always colour after the glue dries.
  • Linnie cole
    Linnie cole White Springs, FL
  • White Oak Studio Designs
    I put my handmade plant papers on the top of a vintage dressing table that I am selling. I also had a piece of glass cut for the top because some people said they loved it BUT they were afraid to use it for fear they would spill something on it and ruin
  • Gypsy Barn
    Gypsy Barn Canada
    HAHAHAHAHA MO!!!!!!!!!! Please use Christmas wrapping paper for the dog and do share photos!
  • Tammy Tilley
    Tammy Tilley Girard, KS
    To Christine Blythe: the only issue about doing kitchen counter tops is the issue of heat. If you use fryers or crock pots, use a hot plate underneath or the surface has a tendency to bubble.
  • Tammy Tilley
    Tammy Tilley Girard, KS
    I've been using this technique for years on floors, counter tops, and furniture for years!! I've experimented with different papers, such as wrapping paper and candy wrappers. I've put dye in the water with excellent results. I should have posted about
  • Mo
    Mo Temple, TX
    EUREKA!!! Now I know what I am going to do to my cheap particle board kitchen cabinets doors. I am also going to do this for the backsplash behind the stove. OMG...I may even do the dishwasher, fridge, stove and dog if he will stand still.
  • Debbie Borthwick
    I love how it turned out!
  • Gypsy Barn
    Gypsy Barn Canada
    Yes - when you do the several layers of clear coating - it tends to self level over any small ridges that may have come up during the drying process. Make sure when you are smoothing the paper onto the surface that you really take the time to make sure
  • Grammie Linda
    Grammie Linda Mahomet, IL
    oops, I forgot to tell you that it looks amazing!
  • Grammie Linda
    Grammie Linda Mahomet, IL
    to confirm, the desk top is smooth after, correct? looks like it in the final pic but would want to be sure before I did the technique - my luck - so I ask questions first, thanks
  • Pat Safron
    Pat Safron Canada
    I have recovered my bedroom side tables and dresser with non-stretch material (fabric) using Weldbond Plus glue
  • Christine Blythe
    I love this idea and I'm thinking of using it for refacing kitchen cupboards and cabinet top.
  • Roberto Sala
    Really nice, it looks like marble
  • Shreveport, LA
Gypsy Barn

Search Feedback