Paper Top Tutorial

STUFF 05.11.15
This offers a fabulous finish when done right! Here is a quick little tutorial on using paper as a new faux top. The great side to this is, using different crumpling techniques and different stains can give you many varied outcomes! The only limit is your fear to experiment. After all, it's only paper. If you don't like it, change it! Recipe and instructions are on the photos as you browse them. Hope it helps and have fun with it!!!
Time: 60 Minutes Cost: $45 Difficulty: Easy
  • Debbie Borthwick
    I love how it turned out!
  • Mo
    Mo Temple, TX
    EUREKA!!! Now I know what I am going to do to my cheap particle board kitchen cabinets doors. I am also going to do this for the backsplash behind the stove. OMG...I may even do the dishwasher, fridge, stove and dog if he will stand still.
  • Tammy Tilley
    Tammy Tilley Girard, KS
    I've been using this technique for years on floors, counter tops, and furniture for years!! I've experimented with different papers, such as wrapping paper and candy wrappers. I've put dye in the water with excellent results. I should have posted about
  • Tammy Tilley
    Tammy Tilley Girard, KS
    To Christine Blythe: the only issue about doing kitchen counter tops is the issue of heat. If you use fryers or crock pots, use a hot plate underneath or the surface has a tendency to bubble.
  • Gypsy Barn
    Gypsy Barn Canada
    HAHAHAHAHA MO!!!!!!!!!! Please use Christmas wrapping paper for the dog and do share photos!
  • White Oak Studio Designs
    I put my handmade plant papers on the top of a vintage dressing table that I am selling. I also had a piece of glass cut for the top because some people said they loved it BUT they were afraid to use it for fear they would spill something on it and ruin
  • Linnie cole
    Linnie cole White Springs, FL
    CAN YOU PAINT THE PAPER OR NOT,IF SO AT WHAT POINT DO YOU PAINT?
  • Gypsy Barn
    Gypsy Barn Canada
    I'm sure you could, however it would be pretty bumpy looking unless you clear coat a lot to fill in the tiny ridges. Always colour after the glue dries.
  • Linnie cole
    Linnie cole White Springs, FL
    Thank you. I am new to this.I am gonna try painting it after the glue dries.
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    I love it!!
  • Marakiaya
    Marakiaya Australia
    looks awesome! just a question about the paint used - is it just a flat black? I love the whole look :-)
  • Mama Faye
    Mama Faye Cottondale, AL
    Using paper to do a desk, even more floors just blows my mind. I want sooooo to try this.
  • Randlyn Reinhart
    Randlyn Reinhart Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    I love the leather like vintage look this creates. Thank you for sharing this great idea.
  • Linda Lee
    Linda Lee Rollingstone, MN
    I used this technique on my kitchen walls! We still have the old plaster walls which were showing lots of wear and tear. We plan to do a complete remodel, and that is a few years out. Absolutely love how easy this is, how cheap its, and also the varying
  • Kelley Aho Phillips
    I LOVE it!!! I have an old cherry desk and the top of it is a mess! I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what to do with it. Perfect, affordable solution and it looks fantastic!
Gypsy Barn