Hometalk.com

Furniture Painting 3 days ago

Paper Top Tutorial

This offers a fabulous finish when done right! Here is a quick little tutorial on using paper as a new faux top. The great side to this is, using different crumpling techniques and different stains can give you many varied outcomes! The only limit is your fear to experiment. After all, it's only paper. If you don't like it, change it! Recipe and instructions are on the photos as you browse them. Hope it helps and have fun with it!!!
Time: 60 Minutes Cost: $45 Difficulty: Easy
25 Comments Displaying 15 of 25 comments | See Previous
  • Grammie Linda Mahomet, IL
    oops, I forgot to tell you that it looks amazing!
  • Gypsy Barn Canada
    Yes - when you do the several layers of clear coating - it tends to self level over any small ridges that may have come up during the drying process. Make sure when you are smoothing the paper onto the surface that you really take the time to make sure
  • I love how it turned out!
  • Mo Temple, TX
    EUREKA!!! Now I know what I am going to do to my cheap particle board kitchen cabinets doors. I am also going to do this for the backsplash behind the stove. OMG...I may even do the dishwasher, fridge, stove and dog if he will stand still.
  • Tammy Tilley Girard, KS
    I've been using this technique for years on floors, counter tops, and furniture for years!! I've experimented with different papers, such as wrapping paper and candy wrappers. I've put dye in the water with excellent results. I should have posted about
  • Tammy Tilley Girard, KS
    To Christine Blythe: the only issue about doing kitchen counter tops is the issue of heat. If you use fryers or crock pots, use a hot plate underneath or the surface has a tendency to bubble.
  • Gypsy Barn Canada
    HAHAHAHAHA MO!!!!!!!!!! Please use Christmas wrapping paper for the dog and do share photos!
  • I put my handmade plant papers on the top of a vintage dressing table that I am selling. I also had a piece of glass cut for the top because some people said they loved it BUT they were afraid to use it for fear they would spill something on it and ruin
  • Linnie cole White Springs, FL
    CAN YOU PAINT THE PAPER OR NOT,IF SO AT WHAT POINT DO YOU PAINT?
  • Gypsy Barn Canada
    I'm sure you could, however it would be pretty bumpy looking unless you clear coat a lot to fill in the tiny ridges. Always colour after the glue dries.
  • Linnie cole White Springs, FL
    Thank you. I am new to this.I am gonna try painting it after the glue dries.
  • Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    I love it!!
  • Marakiaya Australia
    looks awesome! just a question about the paint used - is it just a flat black? I love the whole look :-)
  • Mama Faye Cottondale, AL
    Using paper to do a desk, even more floors just blows my mind. I want sooooo to try this.
  • Randlyn Reinhart Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    I love the leather like vintage look this creates. Thank you for sharing this great idea.