Turn An Old Window Into A Mirror

Winsome Windows 09.06.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
When I realized how much it would be to buy a mirror big enough for our mantel (around $100!) the multi-paned mirror we had stored in a shed started to look better and better! It's a fairly large window and had come from a building recycling business in our area called BRING and had cost $20 – much easier to swallow, huh? It had peeling paint and crumbling glazing around the panes, but since I wanted to use it inside these were easily fixed.

It was an easy transformation, really - here's a run-down of the steps (and you can always see more info on the blog!):

1. Sand frame and fix any glazing that needs it.

2. Paint wood frame.

3. On back of window, in one pane at a time, spray some water in corners where antiquing would occur.

4. Spray area with Krylon Mirror spray paint.

5. Blot water droplets with a rag or paper towel.

• I love the way the mirrored surface catches the light in our living room.
  • For awhile I used it as a window back-drop - until I bought the paint I needed to turn it into a mirror. I liked this look, too, actually.
  • Our window-turned-antiqued-mirror through the seasons on our mantel.
  • Sanding and painting the wood frame. I distressed only a little after the paint dried.

To see more: http://www.anoregoncottage.com/2013/05/how-to-turn-a-vintage-window-into-a-mirror/

• Sherry R
    Sherry R Lubbock, TX
    Unique- love the way you can change it up. Really like it !!
  • Sherry R
    Sherry R Bedford, TX
    Beautiful job.
  • Shelli S
    Shelli S Modesto, CA
    I read here a lot but don't comment very often. I've been lamenting over the price of large mirrors (with style) for over my fire place. This is what I've been looking for. I really like how your project turned out. Now to find out where I can find old
  • Debbie Whatley
    Debbie Whatley Pinson, AL
    WOW! Beautiful!
  • Jami @ An Oregon Cottage
    Jami @ An Oregon Cottage Pleasant Hill, OR
    Thank you, Cindy! I wasn't sure at first, but it does add warmth to the white I think. :)
Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post