Turn An Old Window Into A Mirror

Projects to try 04.08.16
When I realized how much it would be to buy a mirror big enough for our mantel (around $100!) the multi-paned mirror we had stored in a shed started to look better and better! It's a fairly large window and had come from a building recycling business in our area called BRING and had cost $20 – much easier to swallow, huh? It had peeling paint and crumbling glazing around the panes, but since I wanted to use it inside these were easily fixed.

It was an easy transformation, really - here's a run-down of the steps (and you can always see more info on the blog!):

1. Sand frame and fix any glazing that needs it.

2. Paint wood frame.

3. On back of window, in one pane at a time, spray some water in corners where antiquing would occur.

4. Spray area with Krylon Mirror spray paint.

5. Blot water droplets with a rag or paper towel.

To see more: http://www.anoregoncottage.com/2013/05/how-to-turn-a-vintage-window-into-a-mirror/

on This Post

• Shelli S
    Shelli S Modesto, CA
    I read here a lot but don't comment very often. I've been lamenting over the price of large mirrors (with style) for over my fire place. This is what I've been looking for. I really like how your project turned out. Now to find out where I can find old
  • Debbie Whatley
    Debbie Whatley Pinson, AL
    WOW! Beautiful!
  • Jami @ An Oregon Cottage
    Jami @ An Oregon Cottage Pleasant Hill, OR
    Thank you, Cindy! I wasn't sure at first, but it does add warmth to the white I think. :)
  • Jeannie Carle
    Jeannie Carle Parnell, MO
    There it is!!!!!! I knew someone on this wonderful place would come up with something to get more light in my room! YES! I have concrete walls - BUT some sweet person attached a loooong board across the wall over the blackboard - AND I have access to old
  • Jami @ An Oregon Cottage
    Well, I was going for a vintagey look here, so you can only sorta see yourself in this. But I'm pretty sure applied according to directions it would work as a clear mirror - I did some vases earlier and you could easily see yourself in them. So all that
Jami @ An Oregon Cottage