Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 2 days ago

Turn An Old Window Into A Mirror

When I realized how much it would be to buy a mirror big enough for our mantel (around $100!) the multi-paned mirror we had stored in a shed started to look better and better! It's a fairly large window and had come from a building recycling business in our area called BRING and had cost $20 – much easier to swallow, huh? It had peeling paint and crumbling glazing around the panes, but since I wanted to use it inside these were easily fixed.

It was an easy transformation, really - here's a run-down of the steps (and you can always see more info on the blog!):

1. Sand frame and fix any glazing that needs it.

2. Paint wood frame.

3. On back of window, in one pane at a time, spray some water in corners where antiquing would occur.

4. Spray area with Krylon Mirror spray paint.

5. Blot water droplets with a rag or paper towel.

To see more: http://www.anoregoncottage.com/2013/05/how-to-turn-a-vintage-window-into-a-mirror/

25 Comments Displaying 16 of 25 comments | See Previous
  • Carol Selma, AL
    I can never find that paint.
    • Jami @ An Oregon Cottage Pleasant Hill, OR
      Carol I've linked to it at Amazon in the post, Carol, but I also have found it locally at Walmart (I assume you're talking about the mirror paint, ha!).
  • Linda M Rosenberg, TX
    I have a huge 1-pane window over my buffet table in the dining room. I have fabric tacked to the back of it at the moment. Making a mirror would be nice. :-)
  • Deb M Le Roy, NY
    I love it! It gives me so many ideas to do one myself.....I just have to find an old window! Thanks for sharing!
  • Jean C Andrews Stedman, NC
    Great idea!! I live old windows!! Yours turned out very nice. I have a old window that I am going to put in my Victorian room. Guess what I am going to put behind the window? Lace curtains!!
    Curtains are a nice idea, too!
  • Connie Wiesniak Oxford, CT
    Love it. Love the way you displayed all of your accessories also.
  • Janet Bowman Winifred, MT
    Just think of the cool picture frame(s) it would make...a collage!
  • V Valencia Downey, CA
    Jami Jami @ An Oregon Cottage I am going to go looking for a window...:) I love how you have used yours in various ways
  • Cindy Betteley Flat Rock, MI
    I love it! I also must say Jami @ An Oregon Cottage I love how you left the brick on your fireplace
  • Sherry R Lubbock, TX
    Unique- love the way you can change it up. Really like it !!
  • Sherry R Bedford, TX
    Beautiful job.
  • Shelli S Modesto, CA
    I read here a lot but don't comment very often. I've been lamenting over the price of large mirrors (with style) for over my fire place. This is what I've been looking for. I really like how your project turned out. Now to find out where I can find old
  • Debbie Whatley Pinson, AL
    WOW! Beautiful!
    Thank you, Cindy! I wasn't sure at first, but it does add warmth to the white I think. :)