Hometalk.com

Beautiful Murals 2 days ago

Naturally Repair Wood With Vinegar and Canola Oil

Use 3/4 cup of oil, add 1/4 cup vinegar. white or apple cider vinegar, mix it in a jar, then rub it into the wood. You don't need to wipe it off; the wood just soaks it in Credit goes to .Heili's Healthy Haven
Time: 60 Minutes Cost: $22.00 Difficulty: Easy
78 Comments Displaying 17 of 78 comments | See Previous
  • Rhonda Vigus Boonville, NY
    I don't understand the stated cost you have of $22. It's more like $1. AND IT WORKS!!! Thank you for posting this again, as I lost my notes and needed to mix up a batch for my antique bedroom furniture.
  • Will this work on those cheap hollow doors too mine are stained and look awful!
  • Mary Fewer Allen Albrightsville, PA
    Me Too!
  • Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    I included the cost of both pieces in that. Whoops!
  • Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    I haven't had a problem with the Canola oil going rancid. I like it alot, it is a little bit lighter than the mineral, but I think you have a good idea if that is your concern. Hope you enjoy it.
  • Alice M. Denmark, WI
    I'll have to use this in the future....Thanks for the idea.
  • Benjie Young Tallahassee, FL
    I am going to give it a try!
  • Annmarie South River, NJ
    I'm going to try this today was just wondering how often do I have yo dobthisto maintain look ?
  • Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    I use lemon oil about once a month on the piece that was really a mess (the darker one).The other piece I have not had to do any maintenance on at all. I will be re-doing the darker piece when or if! it finally warms up here. I do these outside, as I am
  • Candace P Emmett, ID
    How long does the finish last? How does this differ from using lemon oil on a piece?
  • Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    The vinegar interacts with the oil in some way and changes the color of scratches. How long it lasts depends on how much you use it. It is not a permanent solution, but it is one that does darken scratches permanently, not cover them completely. I said
  • What about substituting vegetable oil for canola oil? Will that work just as well?
  • Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    I have only used Canola oil. That's it. So, I don't know. I think they suggest canola for a reason though. Just guessing here.
  • Rhonda Vigus Boonville, NY
    OK...now it makes sense. I just did my entire 4 piece antique bedroom set today...it looks like new!!