Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Naturally Repair Wood With Vinegar and Canola Oil

Fix-It Yesterday
Use 3/4 cup of oil, add 1/4 cup vinegar. white or apple cider vinegar, mix it in a jar, then rub it into the wood. You don't need to wipe it off; the wood just soaks it in Credit goes to .Heili's Healthy Haven
Time: 60 Minutes Cost: $22.00 Difficulty: Easy
103 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 103 comments | See Previous
  • Candace P
    Candace P Emmett, ID
    I read you should use mineral oil not vegetable oils as the vegetable oils can go rancid. Any one have this issue? I did try this and it seemed to clean the wood and cover the scratches.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • BARB B
    BARB B Helena, MT
    how do you restore redwood decking without staining again, like a wash renewal?
    • Marion Nesbitt
      BARB B I used tung oil on some Western red cedar deck steps. Did a great job. Brought out the tones and acts as a weatherproofing. Could try it in an inconspicuous spot to see results. Think you could use Danish or other as well.
  • Marion Nesbitt
    Results look good, but I'd just sand a bit and use a stain then some oil or poly.
  • Filip Milosavljevic
    What about a coffee table that is salvaged wood and has a natural finish (its a matte look, so its not glossy at all). It gets stains very easily if water drips on it (we have a water mark from a cup). Its a Salvaged wood natural finish coffee table
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    When you clean wood, you really aren't cleaning it or oiling it. Unless it isn't sealed. You are cleaning the sealer which protects the wood. So when you out something on your furniture remember it's the sealer not the wood you are using.
  • Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    Sherrie This is specifically for items that have damage to the sealer. Give it a whirl. Otherwise, most people are smart enough to know the things they have are not it bare wood, thanks.
    • Sherrie
      Sherrie Nixa, MO
      You need to re read my post. I posted you don't use oil on wood with sealers, unless it isn't sealed.

You have had complaints on this posts. No one explained why it happened to their furniture.

• Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    I think it's important that you notice the tone you take here. You have twice now told me what to do. Don't.

I said what I felt, and for me, that is the end of it. Any further comments from you will be considered harassing.

• Marion Nesbitt
    Just bought a stool. Am going to try the "recipe"!
  • Cynthy
    Cynthy Houston, TX
    This is fabulous idea! Sure hope it works on couple of pieces I have. Beats the heck out of stripping and starting over!
  • Cathy H
    Cathy H Maumee, OH
    I have a faint white spot on my sealed dining room table that may be a result of setting something warm on the table. Would this work - any other suggestions? The wood is a medium shade.
    • Loribeth
      Loribeth Muskegon, MI
      Cathy H White spots are usually water stains. This won't work on that. You want to use Mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip). Mix the mayo with a little baking soda so it's a little grainy. Then rub it
  • Iritrg
    didn't work for me. it darkened the wood and scratches. i used the vinegar and oil.
Kris Cole