Naturally Repair Wood With Vinegar and Canola Oil

organize 3 days ago
Use 3/4 cup of oil, add 1/4 cup vinegar. white or apple cider vinegar, mix it in a jar, then rub it into the wood. You don't need to wipe it off; the wood just soaks it in Credit goes to .Heili's Healthy Haven
Time: 60 Minutes Cost: $22.00 Difficulty: Easy
  • Cathy H
    Cathy H Maumee, OH
    I have a faint white spot on my sealed dining room table that may be a result of setting something warm on the table. Would this work - any other suggestions? The wood is a medium shade.
    • Loribeth
      Loribeth Muskegon, MI
      Cathy H White spots are usually water stains. This won't work on that. You want to use Mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip). Mix the mayo with a little baking soda so it's a little grainy.
  • Iritrg
    didn't work for me. it darkened the wood and scratches. i used the vinegar and oil.
  • Cyndi
    Cyndi Rantoul, IL
    White in the finish is called blushing. Hot item opens the pours of the finish trapping the moisture after the finish cools. Finish and paint dry from the top down. Have someone cone out and clean it and spray "no blush" on it. It will also repair fine
  • Patra Philips
    Patra Philips Rockwall, TX
    I have an old chair that I've been putting off refinishing... so much work! I'll try this first :-) Thanks Kris!
  • Tiara Holman
    You learn something new everyday.
  • Janet Moore
    It did not work for me. It made everything shinier, including the scratches. :)
  • Valerie
    Valerie Plano, TX
    I tried this on a few different pieces and it did not work-not even a little bit.
  • Stacy Bragg
    Works great!
  • Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    Stacy Bragg Wonderful! Those are the results that I achieved too. I know there are many different types of woods, and surfaces.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I would worry about canola oil turning rancid.
    • Marion Nesbitt
      Sherrie Good point. I found that if the mixture sits in the container for a bit, it does smell rancid. Too soon to tell if the furniture I tried it on will smell rancid. If it does, I guess I could always try to disguise the odour with lemon or orange oil.
  • Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    It doesn't. Been two years now, and no problem.
  • Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    Might be time to let this one go Sherrie. It has been awhile and still, here you are.....
  • Karla
    Karla Kingston, AR
    Has anyone tried olive oil and vinegar? I tried it on a cupboard that had very bad water stains and scratches, it worked great but don't want to have bacteria or smell problems.
  • Bonnie S
    Bonnie S Demotte, IN
    I still say it makes the wood sticky feeling after all finished...Used it on my good wood...so sorry I did.
  • Marcia miller
    Marcia miller Cambria, WI
    Tried this our cabinets look better.
Kris Cole