Naturally Repair Wood With Vinegar and Canola Oil

Use 3/4 cup of oil, add 1/4 cup vinegar. white or apple cider vinegar, mix it in a jar, then rub it into the wood. You don't need to wipe it off; the wood just soaks it in Credit goes to .Heili's Healthy Haven
Time: 60 Minutes Cost: $22.00 Difficulty: Easy
  • Patra Philips
    Patra Philips Rockwall, TX
    I have an old chair that I've been putting off refinishing... so much work! I'll try this first :-) Thanks Kris!
  • Tiara Holman
    You learn something new everyday.
  • Janet Moore
    It did not work for me. It made everything shinier, including the scratches. :)
  • Valerie
    Valerie Plano, TX
    I tried this on a few different pieces and it did not work-not even a little bit.
  • Stacy Bragg
    Works great!
  • Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    Stacy Bragg Wonderful! Those are the results that I achieved too. I know there are many different types of woods, and surfaces.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I would worry about canola oil turning rancid.
    • Marion Nesbitt
      Sherrie Good point. I found that if the mixture sits in the container for a bit, it does smell rancid. Too soon to tell if the furniture I tried it on will smell rancid. If it does, I guess I could always try to disguise the odour with lemon or orange oil.
  • Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    It doesn't. Been two years now, and no problem.
  • Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    Might be time to let this one go Sherrie. It has been awhile and still, here you are.....
  • Karla
    Karla Kingston, AR
    Has anyone tried olive oil and vinegar? I tried it on a cupboard that had very bad water stains and scratches, it worked great but don't want to have bacteria or smell problems.
  • Bonnie S
    Bonnie S Demotte, IN
    I still say it makes the wood sticky feeling after all finished...Used it on my good wood...so sorry I did.
  • Marcia miller
    Marcia miller Cambria, WI
    Tried this our cabinets look better.
  • Rose Henderson
    Rose Henderson Provo, UT
    Wow. I never knew that it could be so easy to make wood look fresh again. I'm looking to replace my front door with a timber door, but I've been worried about it possibly looking worn down over time. I'm going to try this to see if it will help it last
  • June V.P.
    June V.P. San Pedro, CA
    I see some people apply a wax after using some wood oiling technics. I use mineral oil mixed with bees wax, works great. Can this oil/ vinegar technic be used on floors/tables without ever worring about possible oil leaching into things set on top of them?
  • Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    I wouldn't use it on floors. I think the risk of remaining oil getting tracked though out the house would stop me. I used it on living room tables and have never had a problem with it, and I have white fabric on top of the tables. :)
Kris Cole