Naturally Repair Wood With Vinegar and Canola Oil

Tips& tricks Yesterday

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Use 3/4 cup of oil, add 1/4 cup vinegar. white or apple cider vinegar, mix it in a jar, then rub it into the wood. You don't need to wipe it off; the wood just soaks it in Credit goes to .Heili's Healthy Haven
Time: 60 Minutes Cost: $22.00 Difficulty: Easy
  • Interesting!
  • This is what I am going to attempt this idea on, hope it works!
  • Hot Mess!
  • Front before I began.
  • Ewww! Ouch!
  • Side, untouched, but ol running from the top...I am kinda messy :)
  • Front after.
  • TV table half done....
  • After...better
  • Half done....
  • All done!
  • Finished, and in it's new home!
  • Andrea Peer
    Andrea Peer Livonia, MI
    Does it HAVE to be canola oil??
    • Kris Cole
      Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
      Andrea Peer I would stick to what it states. I received alot of feedback about Canola oil going rancid. It hasn't. I am not sure about other oils.
  • Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    You can use a rag that you dip in some brown paint if the same shade, and rub it quickly up and down over the area that is flaking. Continue rubbing lightly until you reached desired coverage. The great thing about rag wiping paint on is it doesn't leave
  • Kris Cole
    Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
    Buy some of the same shade, (and finish) dab some on a scrunched up rag, and dab over the areas that are beginning to flake. You can easily control the amount that stays on the surface by wiping excess, or dabbing more where needed. Just work with it
  • Haley Rigas
    Does this actually work ?
    • Kris Cole
      Kris Cole Saint Francis, MN
      Haley Rigas Yes, it does! It won't renew really, really ruined furniture. But, knicked up, scratched, banged up, it does a great job on. Look at the last picture. That piece is still as pretty today, sitting in my living room. :)
Kris Cole

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post