Hometalk.com

Decor Ideas 04.10.14

Pottery Barn Inspired Desk Using Goodwill Filing Cabinets

I found two ugly orangey colored oak filing cabinets at my local Goodwill. I brought them home still not sure what I was going to do with them until I remembered a desk from Pottery Barn that I loved. I painted the filing cabinets in Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan in Old White. The hardware I removed and sprayed with oil rubbed bronze spray paint by Rustoleum. The top I found at Lowes and was an unfinished panel. I had it cut down a few inches so it would fit perfectly in it's new home. The top I stained in dark walnut and kona stains. Then I decided to go for an industrial look and add a number. I printed the two from MS Word and traced it out with pencil and filled it in with Sharpie. The whole top was coated in Annie Sloan soft dark wax.

To see more: http://mypassionfordecor.blogspot.com/2013/03/my-pottery-barn-desk-hack.html

79 Comments Displaying 15 of 79 comments | See Previous
  • Beautiful! What a great idea!
  • Great job ! Very creative.
  • Pamela Mines Joliet, IL
    Excellent use of space with filing cabinets and desk combined!! How was unfinished panel top secured to cabinets? Great job and thanks for this idea!!
  • Ruth K Summerville, SC
    What kind of unfinished panel did you purchase from Lowes? Is panel secured to cabinets or just laid on top? Is it heavy enough to stay secure without fastening as I'm thinking of doing this with some nice storage cabinets I already have.
  • Love it all! I have two filing cabinets--am going to do this!
  • Helen Henderson, NV
    this is so great!! You should go into business!!
  • Pam Arnold-Cartwright Putnam Valley, NY
    Love it!!!
  • Cathy Perry, NY
    I love this remake. I have yet to work with milk paint but understand that it is easy to work wit. Love to reuse something for other than what is was intended for.
  • Melody Southbury, CT
    RuthK panel comes in a shrink wrapped wrapper from Lowes. I believe it was white birch? As far as securing it to the desk no. I used the stick on rubber tabs on to the underside of the panel. It doesn't move and then when I decide to do something
  • Melody Southbury, CT
    Pamela the top is not secured to the desk. I attached stick on rubber tabs on to the underside of the panel. It doesn't move and then when I decide to do something different it all comes apart.
  • Mary Fox Lady Lake, FL
    I am just amazed this is so fine :)
  • Kim Olive Hill, KY
    Great job
  • @Melody Smith: looks nice; did you stain the top panel yourself? I'd like to see a before pix as well(-:
  • LifeCurrents Orange, CA
    Great desk. This is what I have as well. We had some old 2 drawer file cabinets that were rusted. I sanded them, painted them with rustoleum in a dark gray. Then my husband made the desk top out of stained pine. Fits perfectly in my space and it gives me
  • You did a wonderful job on this! It is beautiful! I love that you didn't paint the entire desk the same color, it adds dimension. I redid an old beat up ugly desk that I found out in my husbands barn! I painted the whole thing but did two different