Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
For the Garden 06.03.14

Tomatoes..How To Get The Most From Your Plants In The Garden!

Your tomatoes are planted, they are starting to grow and you can't wait to taste those first amazing globes of garden goodness!

Lately, we have been getting an abundance of emails and comments about how we grow and maintain our tomatoes once planted. Besides making sure they have at least 1" of water each week (via rain or watering) - here are some steps we take to make sure we get the most out of our tomato crop.

PRUNING:

Yes, pruning can be an important part of keeping your tomatoes healthy, and can also create larger and sweeter fruits on the vine. Just a little work now can pay off huge in a month or so when harvest time begins.

As each tomato plant starts to grow strong - we like to prune off the bottom 6 to 8" of stems from the main stock of the plant for several helpful reasons. For one - it allows for good air flow and easy watering of the plant - both of which help the plant to grow stronger and speed along the ripening process later. Second, and maybe even of more importance - it will help to reduce the chances for disease and

31 Comments Displaying 15 of 31 comments | See Previous
  • Joanne Cole
    Joanne Cole Alamogordo, NM
    I read that adding plain uncooked oatmeal to anything you plant or transplant is great for the plant and it grows so much better. Of course I forgot to try that out when I planted my tomato plants.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Brenda R
    Brenda R Salado, TX
    I have 3 huge tomato plants with strong stems but not the first sign of a bloom much less a tomato. What is happening????
  • Jean McKay
    Jean McKay Canada
    Be careful with what you are using to make tea. I only use rabbit pellets and keep it well oxygenated. Tea must be used immedistely or it will go areobic and kill your plants. Rabbit pellets ground into powder gives me years of supply for indoor plants.
  • Karen V
    Karen V Kennesaw, GA
    Give it some time Brenda...
  • Michelle W
    Michelle W Oceanside, CA
    Brenda - make sure your fertilizer is not high in nitrogen. Nitrogen will keep the plant green & growing, not necessarily flowering. And, if flowers show up but fall off, try cutting back on watering. We only water when the plant is wilted in the
  • Katrina Wylie
    Katrina Wylie Florence, AL
    What are your thoughts about this? I read that it is much better for your plants not to hoe or till the ground every day-especially during a very hot, dry spell. (Re: Sherrie from Nixa, Mo) The crust that forms is a shield and holds the moisture in so
  • Marla T
    Marla T Bloomsburg, PA
    Has anyone ever used epsom salt? I was just wondering before I tried it..
  • GIADA S
    GIADA S Lineboro Cpo, MD
    yes,I till my whole garden every day to get the best results from my vegetables and fruits.. Its the way I was taught and raise on the ranch many years ago and always have a bountiful garden..its just the way of of my people....Thanks for asking....
  • Meg Wylie
    Meg Wylie Veradale, WA
    If tomatoes are not getting fruit blossoms all of the energy you are providing ie: Fertilizer is going to the plant and not to fruit production. Cut back on the fertilizer. Also Tomatoes do not like tight roots using a peat moss mixture that and or
  • Rosalee Carruthers
    Having my own homegrown tomatoes is a dream of mine. Have tried for years in our wet environment here in B.C. Canada. Even with protection from the rain and extra room for air circulation lose all to mold and fungus that kills the whole crop almost
    • M. G. Knox
      M. G. Knox Tucker, GA
      Rosalee Carruthers Try raised b eds that are filled with compost, black cow, and a bit of local soil. Add what is necessary to keep the soil from retaining to much water..let the water
  • Kim Palmeruk
    Marla T, i use epsom salt all the time. I also have raised beds and love them Michael. Have been growing my own garden for well over 30 years and always have success with my tomatoes. Thankfully, there is so much a person can make that I never have too much!
  • Usha Sundar
    Usha Sundar Mesa, AZ
    How do you apply epsom salts to tomato plants--sprinkle around the plant or dissolve in liquid form? Can other plants use epsom salt too?
  • M. G. Knox
    M. G. Knox Tucker, GA
    Here is what I do for planting and growing tomatoes in the South.

Dig a hole about 15" deep and 15" in diameter. Make a mix of potting soil and/or top soil [no fertilizer additives] and

• M. G. Knox
    M. G. Knox Tucker, GA
    Do not plant your tomato plants in the same soil as the previous year.
Old World Garden Farms

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!