Lampshade Turned Mad,..hatter That Is

pics 03.05.15
Wanted to have a subtle "Alice in Wonderland" theme and was able to come up with this idea after finding an old lampshade in my garage. It was just waiting for me to find it again. I then went on a search for an antique lamp base. Some yarn and another piece of a broken lampshade and voila'. Mad Hatter floor lamp
  • Kimberly Barney
    That would make a wonderful decoration at a little girl's birthday party.
  • Phash
    Phash Dorado, PR
    Hey could you tell us how you made it? It's so pretty and subtle and it's exactly what I want for my Woderland room :)
  • Bambi
    Bambi Shelton, WA
    I sure can :) it's an inverted lamp shade with a left over hoop from another destroyed lampshade. I took some floral wire and wired the hoop to the small part of the other lampshade. Then I found the color yarn I wanted and just wrapped it. The ribbon
  • Phash
    Phash Dorado, PR
    Okay, I'm sorry but what is floral wire? Where can I get it? And thank you so much- your explanation really helped me see how it was because now I realize I hadn't even thought about inverting it :P
  • Bambi
    Bambi Shelton, WA
    it's thin bendable wire you can find anywhere, think I got mine at Walmart. Any bendable wire would do. It's just to attach the bottom hoop, so it's need to be stiff enough to stay put. The more you get in there and play around with it, the more it'll
    • Tracy Jo
      Tracy Jo Canada
      Bambi That is funny, what a happy mistake. It adds so much to the overall look. Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for the post I will let you know how it turns out.
  • Phash
    Phash Dorado, PR
    Okay, thanks!
  • Charlotte conley
    Charlotte conley Monticello, KY
    Beautiful.....think I'll do one and add ribbon,silk flowers and other rare and pretty things to to mine. Thanks for a wonderful idea.
  • Bambi
    Bambi Shelton, WA
    thanks Charlotte, hope your comes out fabulous :D
  • Tracy Jo
    Tracy Jo Canada
    Trying this on the weekend, such a clever idea. Thanks
  • Tracy Jo
    Tracy Jo Canada
    Thanks for the idea Bambi, I used your idea but went in a bit of a different direction.
    • Bambi
      Bambi Shelton, WA
      Tracy Jo Oooooooooh I like it!!! it is soo pretty. Did the wire bend for you in ways that you hoped?
    • Tracy Jo
      Tracy Jo Canada
      Bambi With some coaxing it did :-) I just love them. I will get more adventurous soon and try and make a shade out of it like yours. Thanks again for the great idea.
  • Tracy Jo
    Tracy Jo Canada
    Okay Bambi, I'm hanging up my hats :-) I've made around 10 now, all from seeing your post. I ended up making 3 as shades. The 2 with the pocket watches and the smaller purple one are all usable shades. I did one in paper mache as an experiment. Now to
    • Bambi
      Bambi Shelton, WA
      Tracy Jo I am utterly amazed at how magnificent they all came out :D bravo!!!! clap clap clappity clap...I know they will love them all. How could they not?
Bambi