Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

How to paint outdated linoleum floor

PAINTING Yesterday
Last week I showed my oak cabinets that I painted white. Several people remarked about not painting wood. I hope no one has objections to me painting linoleum. :)

See the full tutorial @ My Repurposed Life http://bit.ly/IeyAKO

62 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 20 of 62 comments | See Previous
  • Pam Perkins Zirbel
    Hmm....I would LOVE to do a dark charcoal or black and a vintagey cream. Or after painting it all, rolling on a stain [not sure if that would work to make it look old or if the stain would actually dry. I am sure a clear coat like a coat of garage glaze
  • Pam Perkins Zirbel
    Oh...Louiseville? My MIL is in Danville and my cousin is in Louiseville!! It is gorgeous and we are thinking of Danville or Atoka TN....
  • Gail--My Repurposed Life
    Pam--I have done about 8 squares so far. :) With a bum shoulder, two cats and a dog, it's a process !! Working on it every day till I get it done.
  • Melissa K
    Melissa K Blythewood, SC
    I think this is a brilliant idea and extremely resourceful. Assuming there are no low spot in the linoleum, how long do the experts think this treatment will last? I am very interested in this project as I hate to think what ppl are charging now to
  • Gail--My Repurposed Life
    Melissa--After 14 months (without sealing it) the floor has done great! Most of the blue is gone now.
  • Sweet Papaya Creative
    I love this! I have been trying to find a way to update my dad's kitchen and bathroom floors for very little. I have to try this. Thanks for posting
  • Linda Lister Follett
    How long did you have to stay off the floor? did it take with one coat?
  • Gail--My Repurposed Life
    Ohh, I walked on it as soon as it was dry. I did take it easy with furniture for a few weeks.

coats? a couple of coats of primer, and two light coats of each color for good measure. I prefer several light coats to a

• Juju, the Anti-Gardener
    @Gail I just send you an email, What is Mythic paint--is that a brand name specially for floors? I don't want to make a mistake. Gonna do this if it kills me LOL.
  • Diane Hesseman
    Diane Hesseman Akron, OH
    Oh that's awesome! I'm renting a house and I'm going to do this. The landlord's too cheap to replace anything but he said I can do whatever I want with the place. I've already leveled the patio and refinished two wood floors.
  • Cathey DeRosa
    Cathey DeRosa Colorado Springs, CO
    Did you use any sort of finish or sealer after the paint dried? If so, what did you use?

Also, how do you clean it? I have a little bathroom floor that I am going to do this with, so I want to make sure I do it

• Gail--My Repurposed Life
      Cathey DeRosa I did not use a sealer. I don't like the way poly and other sealers feel on my bare feet. I'm happy that I didn't use a sealer, because it's easier to change up the color. :)
  • Kendra Loftus
    Kendra Loftus Rigby, ID
    The 50's called me and they want their floor back. That is the last step for me to finish in my kitchen. I love what you have done to your floor and I am seriously considering painting my floor instead of trying to tear up 4 different layers of linoleum :)
  • Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air
    Looks so very nice, couldn't be better if you put in a new floor!
  • Lynne
    Lynne Detroit, MI
    love the floor, i am standing on a old floor that needs that paint..where did you buy the paint, and is it a special type..thanks for post
  • Penny
    Penny Utica, NY
    it is absolutely perfect!! i did that yrs ago, but to a wood floor in a hallway....i have to say, it was not only fun to do, but it gave me a new floor!!! but, unlike you, i luv a shiny floor...so, all i did was put a coat of wax on it and it was good to
Gail--My Repurposed Life

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing