How to paint outdated linoleum floor

PAINT 7 days ago
Last week I showed my oak cabinets that I painted white. Several people remarked about not painting wood. I hope no one has objections to me painting linoleum. :)

See the full tutorial @ My Repurposed Life

• Kitchen Floor BEFORE-I've had this floor for almost 20 years. It was not in my budget to replace it. I had seen people paint their wood floors, so I decided to try to paint my vinyl/linoleum floor.
  • Before painting with primer--I mopped the floor with a little dish soap, Mr. Clean and warm water. I rinsed the floor until the water was clean and soap free. This took about 6 moppings. After the floor dried, I wiped it down with TSP (Trisodium phosphate). The TSP helps to clean, degrease, and dull the finish of the floor. I used a latex "oops" gray primer.
  • I have 2 cats and a dog. I used my leaf blower to make sure there were no stray hairs flying around.
  • To get a good feel for the pattern I used newspapers.
  • I got busy with some painter's tape and started painting my squares.
  • I used Mythic paint. It went on really well, and 18 months later, is holding up fantastic. I don't like shiny floors-I chose the original floor for THAT reason. It was dull. I chose a satin paint, and decided not to seal the paint.
  • I love how it turned out, but honestly, now that I have black countertops (that I painted) I'm thinking about changing out the blue squares.... You can see the full tutorial over at My Repurposed Life
  • UPDATED to add. I have changed out the blue squares for dark gray squares. See more details on the blog.
  • Cathey DeRosa
    Cathey DeRosa Colorado Springs, CO
    Did you use any sort of finish or sealer after the paint dried? If so, what did you use?

Also, how do you clean it? I have a little bathroom floor that I am going to do this with, so I want to make sure I do it

• Gail--My Repurposed Life
      Cathey DeRosa I did not use a sealer. I don't like the way poly and other sealers feel on my bare feet. I'm happy that I didn't use a sealer, because it's easier to change up the color. :)
  • Kendra Loftus
    Kendra Loftus Rigby, ID
    The 50's called me and they want their floor back. That is the last step for me to finish in my kitchen. I love what you have done to your floor and I am seriously considering painting my floor instead of trying to tear up 4 different layers of linoleum :)
  • Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air
    Looks so very nice, couldn't be better if you put in a new floor!
  • Lynne
    Lynne Detroit, MI
    love the floor, i am standing on a old floor that needs that paint..where did you buy the paint, and is it a special type..thanks for post
  • Penny
    Penny Utica, NY
    it is absolutely perfect!! i did that yrs ago, but to a wood floor in a hallway....i have to say, it was not only fun to do, but it gave me a new floor!!! but, unlike you, i luv a shiny, all i did was put a coat of wax on it and it was good to
Gail--My Repurposed Life

Search Feedback