Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
09.14.14

Get Rid of Fruit Flies {DIY Fruit Fly Trap}

We have had a fruit fly outbreak, so instead of using the sticky fly traps that we've used in the past, I gave this fruit fly trap method a try. It worked perfectly!

All you need is a jar, a piece of paper, apple cider vinegar and liquid dish detergent!

Time: 2 Minutes Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://myblessedlife.net/2013/06/get-rid-of-fruit-flies.html

110 Comments Displaying 16 of 110 comments | See Previous
  • Judy Smith
    Judy Smith Columbus, NE
    I tried this just in a shallow lid and the flies sat on the edge of the lid and looked and me and laughed.... apple cider vinegar stinks!!!! Did not work for me
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Donna W
      Judy Smith Go all the way with it, Judy. The magic is in the funnel shaped paper inserted into the jar. The flies go in to get to the vinegar but cannot find their way back out. The drop of
  • User
    User Butler, PA
    It works! You just have to use something "deeper". The next time you go somewhere and get a drink with a lid... use that! Put apple cider vinegar in the empty cup... put the lid back on. If there's a straw in it, take the straw out and that should do it!
  • Candy J
    Candy J Erwin, TN
    Try the wine vinegar with dawn - that works even better.
    • Gale
      Gale Hancock, ME
      Candy J red wine.......white wine .or rice wine vinegar..................which one?
  • Barbara P
    Barbara P Marquette, MI
    I just use plain cider vinegar, put plastic wrap over the container then seal with an elastic, poke little holes in the wap and set aside
  • Patricia
    Patricia Suttons Bay, MI
    I tried it just the way it was first posted. I left it out in the afternoon, and in the morning, the vinegar was black !! There wasn't a single fly in my kitchen !! Thank you so much !!
  • Nan Lambert
    Nan Lambert Louisville, KY
    this worked will for me, i didn't use the paper but i couldn't believe how many i trapped
  • Jennifer Kanzigg
    I used sweet tea and dish soap. It did not matter which soap I put in the cup. Set them around my house and in two days they were gone and have not come back.
  • Lila Mae Dease
    Lila Mae Dease Kernersville, NC
    I used cider vinegar, a little water and dawn dish detergent just a few drops. I used juice glasses and set several around the kitchen. Worked great. Have also heard using shallow dish with wine. Seems the little buggers have a taste for the grape.
  • CanmoreMom
    CanmoreMom Canada
    I dropped a piece of fruit in with the cider vinegar and couldn't believe the flies we found inside by the end of the afternoon. My only question is, once you have them trapped...then what? How do you finish the job?
    • Donna W
      CanmoreMom Take the container outside and wash it in case eggs were deposited in the container. I've read that they can adhere inside the drain pipe, hatch and return to haunt you. They can even survive and hatch after a bleach rinse.
  • Irene
    Irene Montclair, CA
    Are you talking about gnats? During the summer we have gnats like crazy. They love the fruit that falls on the ground. I wonder if the vinegar and soap would attract the gnats.
  • Sharon
    Sharon Oakland, ME
    I'm going to give this a try, no fruit in the house but have fruit flies; they seem to find their way into my glass of wine in the evening but don't like it in a dish on the counter, going to try the vinegar.
Myra @ MyBlessedLife.net