Get Rid of Fruit Flies {DIY Fruit Fly Trap}

fix it 04.18.16
We have had a fruit fly outbreak, so instead of using the sticky fly traps that we've used in the past, I gave this fruit fly trap method a try. It worked perfectly!

All you need is a jar, a piece of paper, apple cider vinegar and liquid dish detergent!

Time: 2 Minutes Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://myblessedlife.net/2013/06/get-rid-of-fruit-flies.html

on This Post

• Sandra Lankford
    Not sure what stinkbugs are. Has your friend tried peppermint oil in water. I use this on bugs, frogs, lizards and they get lost. they don't like smell. It can also be used on plants. Mix in spray bottle. I use it inside and outside. I spray my outside
  • F. barwick
    F. barwick Spring Hill, FL
    thanks Joline for mosquito trap help!
  • Katrina
    Katrina Killeen, TX
    Does anyone know how to get rid of stinkbugs my friend in NJ has them an shes tried million things an nothing helps get rid of them please help ........
  • Sheri Ackerman
    Sheri Ackerman Rehoboth Beach, DE
    Linda: I don't use water in my "recipe" so I can't help with that. As for the vinegar and dish soap, it will depend on how big a container you're using. I use small containers of only about 4" across and I use maybe 2 teaspoons of vinegar and 2 squirts
  • Sheri Ackerman
    Sheri Ackerman Rehoboth Beach, DE
    Candy J: The scent of the vinegar may not be intense enough to lure them when outside as the scent, that is IF they are fruit flies. I'm guessing not.
  • Myra @ MyBlessedLife.net
    Linda, click over to the blog post and the "recipe" is there! :)

Candy J, I'm not sure. I've never used it outside.

• Candy J
    Candy J Erwin, TN
    I had what I thought was fruit flies on my covered deck. They fly around my ceiling fans when not on. They are little flies. I have put 2 bottles of your recipe and not one has even attempted to go to the vineager. Is it for the inside only?.
  • Linda
    Linda Syracuse, NY
    How much water, vinegar & dish soap ... and how often should it be replenished pls ?
  • Mandy
    Mandy Calabasas, CA
    also, before you go to bed pour liquid bleach down all of your sink and tub drains. fruit flies disappear. this really truly works!
  • Beja Foster
    Beja Foster Rhome, TX
    I definitely didn't know everything Terry commented. I am super glad to know about freezing them. I didn't realize that the eggs were on the banana peels. That explains why you
  • Teresa
    Teresa Hendersonville, NC
    I put vinegar in one of those wasp catcher jars
  • Gwen S
    Gwen S Cocoa, FL
    Can't wait to try this one. Living in FL, I am always inundated with the pesky fruit flies because I like to keep some fruit on the counter in a pretty bowl.
  • Amy Wieden
    Amy Wieden Boulder, CO
    I cut the top off plastic water bottles, invert the top and stick them back on the bottom. You can tape or staple them together if you choose, When the trap is full, just throw it away ;)
  • Sleepy Maggie
    Sleepy Maggie Franklinton, NC
    I discovered quite by accident that fruit flies LOVE sherry, so I always use it in my trap now. Works like a charm - and smells lots better than other baits. Bonus: if anyone notices how fast the level in the sherry bottle is going down, I can just say,
  • Kim Tedford
    Kim Tedford Altus, AR
    I use Sherry Ackerman's method (above) but with various throw away plastic containers, i.e. sour cream, margarine, or cool whip containers. If you know someone who uses baby food, the little plastic containers that it comes in is great. When they start
Myra @ MyBlessedLife.net