Industrial Mason Jar Light

I created an industrial Mason jar light fixture for above my kitchen sink. I got these Mason jars from my husband's grandmother about 25 years ago and have used them in my kitchen ever since. I thought this was a fun way to use them. http://froufrugal.blogspot.com/2011/11/mason-...

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

• Shari Vail
    Shari Vail Indianola, IA
    I would tap holes in the lid to vent the heat.
  • Patricia Cleveland
    Suesan - Frou FruGal: That sounds like something wrong electrically? Do you know they make ceiling fans that automatically turn off if they sense too much electricity? We tried using LED bulbs and they turned off...
  • Debi M
    Debi M Washington, NC
    Our home was built in 1918, by my grandmother's brothers. My parents had it rewired in 1970 and we upgraded the wiring in 2004 when we moved here. One day I'd love to have my kitchen rewired, lol, I can't turn on the dishwasher and micro wave at the
  • Suesan - Frou FruGal
    Debi, I wish I could have a light bulb last that long. We seem particularly cursed in our different homes that have bulbs that burn out frequently. Our last house was only 1.5 years old and the can lights in the kitchen blew those bulbs about every 6
  • Debi M
    Debi M Washington, NC
    Changing light bulbs once a month???? Wow. I have bulbs that haven't been changed in 8 years. One stays on 24/7 and has been on since October 2009. Then again we use the flourescent screw in bulbs. Seriously if you are changing bulbs that often, it
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    true Mark S...Mason jars are made to withstand heat with canning etc...so I'd say heat wouldn't be an issue :)
  • Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage
    Love the rough industrial look!
  • Mary Alice M
    Mary Alice M San Antonio, TX
    HOW CUTE IS THIS???
  • Suesan - Frou FruGal
    Also, Vernon is right. If you have to run electrical from the box, you definitely need an electrician for that! My light box was already in place so it was simply a matter of wiring the light to the wires in the box.
  • Suesan - Frou FruGal
    Thanks for that clarification, Vernon. Since this discussion came up on venting, I had my husband touch the jars to see if they felt hot. The lights had been on for several hours and he said they felt warm but not hot.
Suesan - Frou FruGal