Invasive plant horror stories

Yesterday
Hometalk member and gardener extraordinaire Barb Rosen recently wrote of her nightmare experience with chameleon plant, Houttuynia cordata, and what may be her life-long project of getting rid of it. But Barb surely isn't alone in having planted something she regretted. For me, my biggest mistake was planting gooseneck loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. I'd heard how "rambunctious" the plant could be, but I had a dry, shady spot where I couldn't get anything else to take hold and bloom. Well, the lysimachia did, and soon started looking for territory to annex. I've since sold the house and it may have taken over the entire property by now for all I know. Here's your chance to sound off and put up the warning flag about plants that belong on a "do not plant" list. Please post a photo if you have one, and let us know what zone you're in.
  • Becka Cook
    Becka Cook Watford City, ND
    Oddly enough, Mint!! I planted peppermint in my garden and it took me about four years to get it out!!
  • Cindy Reynolds
    Cindy Reynolds Marshall, IL
    I have never had a problem with Gooseneck...I planted it by itself and it stays there and is quite strikingly beautiful!!!
  • Massey.ville2
    Don't know the name of them but wild violets have been what I detest. Don't know what ever possessed me to think I liked them when I saw them first. They have taken over everything.
  • Anne
    Anne Redmond, WA
    Wild violets or geraniums! Nightmare!
  • H Gayle
    H Gayle Canada
    For me it's Silver Lace Vine, more appropriately known as Mile a Minute Vine. It looks beautiful growing up the posts of our front porch and along the roofs edge however it has self seeded and is now under the deck and growing up through the decking.
Douglas Hunt

Search Feedback