Invasive plant horror stories

19 hours ago
Hometalk member and gardener extraordinaire Barb Rosen recently wrote of her nightmare experience with chameleon plant, Houttuynia cordata, and what may be her life-long project of getting rid of it. But Barb surely isn't alone in having planted something she regretted. For me, my biggest mistake was planting gooseneck loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. I'd heard how "rambunctious" the plant could be, but I had a dry, shady spot where I couldn't get anything else to take hold and bloom. Well, the lysimachia did, and soon started looking for territory to annex. I've since sold the house and it may have taken over the entire property by now for all I know. Here's your chance to sound off and put up the warning flag about plants that belong on a "do not plant" list. Please post a photo if you have one, and let us know what zone you're in.

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • Yardsale
    yardsale Anaheim, CA
    Mint in SWFlorida and piedmont Virginia... and probably everywhere inbetween. It jumps pots, leaps over beds. The only plus side is that if it gets into your lawn... mowing it is actually a rather pleasant experience.
  • Melinda Liska
    Melinda Liska Eden Prairie, MN
    I have gooseneck loosestrife in a contained bed blocked by my AC compressor so it is not taking over and it's so much fun to see it flower.
  • Nancy
    nancy Warwick, NY
    Just yank most of it out each spring after some good rain will keep it under control...
  • Voorheesiris
    Gooseneck Loosestrife was my gardening nightmare!!! My yard person and I dug this out for years and if you leave one tiny piece of root anywhere it will come back. It is almost impossible to eradicate. Just never even think about planting it.
  • DORLIS
    DORLIS Silex, MO
    FOR ONE THING, YOU HAVE TO DEAD HEAD EVERY BLOSOM. ALSO THE PLANTS PULL FAIRLY EASY. I AM FIGHTING QUEEN ANNES LACE AND WILD PRIMROSE. EACH PRODUCES MANY SEEDS AND THE BEST WAY IS TO GET FLOWER HEADS OFF BEFORE SEEDS RIPEN.
Douglas Hunt