Invasive plant horror stories

Plant stuff 6 days ago
Hometalk member and gardener extraordinaire Barb Rosen recently wrote of her nightmare experience with chameleon plant, Houttuynia cordata, and what may be her life-long project of getting rid of it. But Barb surely isn't alone in having planted something she regretted. For me, my biggest mistake was planting gooseneck loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. I'd heard how "rambunctious" the plant could be, but I had a dry, shady spot where I couldn't get anything else to take hold and bloom. Well, the lysimachia did, and soon started looking for territory to annex. I've since sold the house and it may have taken over the entire property by now for all I know. Here's your chance to sound off and put up the warning flag about plants that belong on a "do not plant" list. Please post a photo if you have one, and let us know what zone you're in.
  • Amelia
    Amelia Wilmington, DE
    yarrow! we inherited it in DE and it's impossible to get rid of!
  • Tiea
    Tiea Athens, AL
    Bermuda grass! I did not plant it but the previous owners did because it "covers" well. Well it covers alright! Tarps, mulch, concrete, solid wood! Nothing stops this bane of my existence from invading every flower bed, garden, or driveway! Not even
  • B.J. B
    B.J. B Lexington, MI
    Spiderwort - I planted 2 plants and they grew huge. Their offspring are growing everywhere and I spend the entire summer pulling them out!
  • Sandy Kroepel
    Sandy Kroepel Cassopolis, MI
    Trumpet vine!
  • Sandra
    Sandra Wyanet, IL
    Yucca plant!
Douglas Hunt