Invasive plant horror stories

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Hometalk member and gardener extraordinaire Barb Rosen recently wrote of her nightmare experience with chameleon plant, Houttuynia cordata, and what may be her life-long project of getting rid of it. But Barb surely isn't alone in having planted something she regretted. For me, my biggest mistake was planting gooseneck loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. I'd heard how "rambunctious" the plant could be, but I had a dry, shady spot where I couldn't get anything else to take hold and bloom. Well, the lysimachia did, and soon started looking for territory to annex. I've since sold the house and it may have taken over the entire property by now for all I know. Here's your chance to sound off and put up the warning flag about plants that belong on a "do not plant" list. Please post a photo if you have one, and let us know what zone you're in.
  • Curtis
    Curtis South Bristol, ME
    Cypress spurge (Euphorbia cyparissias). We bought a home in coastal Maine (zone 5b), where the previous owners had planted spurge (aka graveyard weed) in shallow soil over ledge. I assume they had little luck growing anything else there. The sight of it
  • Jillian Caissie
    Spurges of any kind are nasty and huge pain to get rid of. Avoid if at all possible.
  • Anderslx3386
    Bishops' weed was worse than the chameleon in my garden. And never plant mint. Ever.
  • Clanham17
    Great, just great... just bought a house that has some of this gooseneck stuff growing in the front flower bed. Time to get out the blow torch!!
    DORLIS Silex, MO
    And never plant Creeping Myrtle or bush honeysuckle. Roundup only makes them turn yellow for a few days. The only way to kill the myrtle is to mow to the ground and then rake up every piece and burn them. The honeysuckle, cut to the ground and then pour
Douglas Hunt

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post