Invasive plant horror stories

14 hours ago
Hometalk member and gardener extraordinaire Barb Rosen recently wrote of her nightmare experience with chameleon plant, Houttuynia cordata, and what may be her life-long project of getting rid of it. But Barb surely isn't alone in having planted something she regretted. For me, my biggest mistake was planting gooseneck loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. I'd heard how "rambunctious" the plant could be, but I had a dry, shady spot where I couldn't get anything else to take hold and bloom. Well, the lysimachia did, and soon started looking for territory to annex. I've since sold the house and it may have taken over the entire property by now for all I know. Here's your chance to sound off and put up the warning flag about plants that belong on a "do not plant" list. Please post a photo if you have one, and let us know what zone you're in.
  • Cathy Peercy Lowrance
    Mint. I actually had mint to jump a block walkway and into a different gravel portion of my yard. We eventually got rid of it though by digging up the entire little garden.
  • Mrs Dagnabit
    Mrs Dagnabit Eddyville, KY
    St. John's Wort - West Kentucky, planted because summers are very hot and dry in clay and gravel soil that turns to concrete. It has crowded out EVERYTHING! http://bloomiq.com/st-johns-wort-1
  • Babsy
    Babsy Hillsborough, NJ
    Lipstick plant--very invasive and has a terrible smell.
  • Pawleyshell
    SRusgrove Pawleys Island, SC I planted purple indigo in the ground, big mistake! It has beautiful lavender/purple flowers but spreads like wild! Indigo was a crop grown here in the South after rice fields were not producing! It was used for dye and I was
  • Sarah Jackson
    Sarah Jackson Chula Vista, CA
    bougainvillea, or as I call it "THE PLANT THAT WOULD NOT DIE!!!!" Gorgeous colors, pretty to look at but when mature has big long thorns, spreads rapidly and eve when chopped to the ground, will not die. two bottles of brush killer, battery acid, dug out
Douglas Hunt