Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Invasive plant horror stories

Hometalk member and gardener extraordinaire Barb Rosen recently wrote of her nightmare experience with chameleon plant, Houttuynia cordata, and what may be her life-long project of getting rid of it. But Barb surely isn't alone in having planted something she regretted. For me, my biggest mistake was planting gooseneck loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. I'd heard how "rambunctious" the plant could be, but I had a dry, shady spot where I couldn't get anything else to take hold and bloom. Well, the lysimachia did, and soon started looking for territory to annex. I've since sold the house and it may have taken over the entire property by now for all I know. Here's your chance to sound off and put up the warning flag about plants that belong on a "do not plant" list. Please post a photo if you have one, and let us know what zone you're in.
215 Comments Displaying 15 of 215 comments | See Previous
  • Tauna Mitchell Meints
    Lily of the valley. Smothered out some hostas.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Karen Lenover
    Snow on the mountain - is taking over and is almost impossible to eradicate. I still see it being sold in garden centers even though in some areas it is considered a weed!
  • Marjorie Seybert
    Marjorie Seybert Titusville, PA
    OMG thought I got rid of gooseneck loosestrife 10 years ago but found in garden this summer, not even close to where I had it before. I blame birds and wind. NASTY stuff
  • Rebecca Temari
    Rebecca Temari Cleveland, OH
    Chameleon vine/plant....what a nightmare! These connecting roots take over and smother other plants. Hard to get rid of....the smallest piece of root will make new plants if you don't get all of it. I'm in zone 6a. Beware!
  • Katie Price
    Katie Price Marietta, GA
    I finally won my battle with Alstromeria. Very invasive, insidious and persistent. Even after spending hours digging up a large bed and hand-removing little bulbs, I still see a sprout popping up from time to time. Mine was a pass-along and probably the
  • Dian Haupt
    Dian Haupt Syracuse, NE
    My mother-in-law planted trumpet vine next to her house and it grew under the siding and into her basement which had a dirt floor. The vine even found its way in between the windows on the porch.
  • Dian Haupt
    Dian Haupt Syracuse, NE
    A lady in Syracuse, Nebraska planted it at the base of a pole and it makes a beautiful tree like structure
  • Miss Kitty
    Miss Kitty Mattoon, IL
    I also have the Gooseneck Loosestrife, but I think I'm finally winning the battle with it. I only saw a couple of small sprouts of it this spring, and I nipped it right in the bud. Two plants that I do have a lot of that has become invasive is Obedient
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Miss Kitty I know many people think obedient plant should really be named disobedient plant.
    • Jane Didway
      Jane Didway Galesburg, IL
      Miss Kitty Those bellflowers are awful. It took me 3 years of digging and sifting through dirt to find every last piece of running root. Three small plants took over everything!
  • Kay
    Kay Lagrange, GA
    Wisteria. I didn't actually plant it; it invaded from a neighbor two doors down the street. The underground growth went all the way back to her property. After a fight of nearly 10 years, attacking from both sides WE FINALLY WON!
  • Cathy
    Cathy Glenside, PA
    Campanula "Elizabeth" is very invasive, even though it blooms from spring to fall, I have had to have at it consistently to keep it from overtaking all the beds!
Douglas Hunt