Invasive plant horror stories

Hometalk member and gardener extraordinaire Barb Rosen recently wrote of her nightmare experience with chameleon plant, Houttuynia cordata, and what may be her life-long project of getting rid of it. But Barb surely isn't alone in having planted something she regretted. For me, my biggest mistake was planting gooseneck loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. I'd heard how "rambunctious" the plant could be, but I had a dry, shady spot where I couldn't get anything else to take hold and bloom. Well, the lysimachia did, and soon started looking for territory to annex. I've since sold the house and it may have taken over the entire property by now for all I know. Here's your chance to sound off and put up the warning flag about plants that belong on a "do not plant" list. Please post a photo if you have one, and let us know what zone you're in.
  • Jaime McBrady
    Jaime McBrady Milwaukee, WI
    Crown vetch. It's the beautiful pink swaths you see along the edge of the highway. It's great for that purpose--soil erosion and naturalizing--but it will choke out everything in your garden. Don't ever plant it!
  • Suzanne Pharr
    Suzanne Pharr Gainesville, GA
    English ivy. Our neighbors planted it when I was a kid 30 years ago. It has spread throughout the neighborhood & killed many beautiful old oak trees.
  • Bfuhr49
    B Fuhr, Alberta, Canada

Perennial Morning Glory. A lovely vine with pink flowers, but it spreads everywhere, has even crawled under our cement deck

• Joan Baubie
    Joan Baubie Canada
    I love Mint in Drinks. I planted it in a small area and now I have enough mint for all the restaurants in Whitby, and it keeps spreading.
  • Maureen reed
    maureen reed Boise, ID
    Snow on the Mountain! It was in our garden when I moved in and there is hardly a place that it hasn't invaded. Any suggestions? Help!
Douglas Hunt

Search Feedback