Creating A Mason Jar Centerpiece From Old Barn Wood Or Pallets

lighting 11.22.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
With the garden all planted and growing, and a little bit of extra time before the heavy picking and canning season begins - we thought today would be a great time to focus on an easy DIY project using old barn or pallet wood.

Mary had been wanting a centerpiece for our barn table at the farm - and with the table measuring 12' long - the hardest part was to come up with something that could fill the space and still look like it belonged. The answer came in the form of some left over barn wood and a few mason jars.

The best part about this project is that you can create it in less than an hour using some simple scraps of barn wood or pallets. We built ours to be 48" long and with 5 mason jars evenly spaced to fit the long table - but you can adjust the final length to accommodate whatever size you need.

Now we have an easy to use centerpiece carrying on our barn theme that can hold fresh-cut flowers, candles - or whatever is in season.

Here is what we used to make it:

• Up close view of the wood and jars
  • The completed barn wood and mason jar project out on the table at the farm.
  • Using just a few pieces of old barn wood and some mason jars, you can create this centerpiece to hold flowers, candles and more.
  • All of the pieces cut out and ready for assembly.
  • Trace around the mason jars to create the cut lines for the jigsaw.
  • We then used a drill with a 1/2″ bit to create a hole for the jigsaw to cut through.
  • The top piece with all of the mason jar hole cut outs.

To see more:

• AJ Ogden-Paparone
    AJ Ogden-Paparone Floral Park, NY
    Can't even tell you how much I LOVE this!! It's absolutely perfect in every single way!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!
  • Mariah Philpot
    These are Great !!! :)xx <3
  • Tamara Wood
    Tamara Wood Asheville, NC
    OMG!! I made something sooo simular to your project! I used wood from a home built in 1940! And my jars are bottles.
  • Nancy dale mccombs
    Nancy dale mccombs Sale Creek, TN
    my daughter loves mason jars. she used them in her wedding as directioins so this gives me a idea for her christmas gift. thanks
  • Ernie holbrook
    Ernie holbrook Wabash, IN
    I've made some thing on this order, & using 100 year old 'blue jars/w tops'!

Wife loves them!

• Jeanie C
    Jeanie C Greenville, AL
    I purchased a small tray like this at World Market for $10, so that I could take her flowers every time I visited her in the NH. Almost purchased one for myself. Glad I did not! Thanks for flipping this light switch for another ah ha moment!
  • Franceen o'toole
    Franceen o'toole Wilmington, NC
    just put the flowers in the jars and set it on the table
  • BrightNest
    BrightNest Denver, CO
    This project is great!
Old World Garden Farms

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post