Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Mildew on Curtains

Cleaning 10.22.14
I followed the advice of so many hometalkers and made outdoor curtains from drop cloth I purchased from Lowes. After several days of rain and damp weather I noticed that the curtain on the right side is covered with mildew. Any ideas on getting rid of it and preventing it from coming back? Someone suggested scotch guard but how long would that last? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
6 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 6 of 6 comments
  • Rita C. - Panoply
    Rita C. - Panoply Charleston, WV
    That's terrible! I can see you worked hard on making those curtains looks so fab. Here's an article I found from the Univ of FL http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/HE/HE63300...
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    The drop clothes are absorbing moisture which is their job to do. They are designed to soak up wet messes when painting etc. The issue arises you used one product to do the job of another.
  • Phyllis Wenzel
    Phyllis Wenzel Midland, MI
    Go to sporting goods store and purchase a product to spray tents which makes them waterproof. It comes in a spray can. I used this on our 2 patio umbrellas and it worked. Any sporting goods store that sells tents would have it.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    brush off the mold, hang in sun all day. Use table salt and lemon and scrub, hang back out in sun. use borax and laundry detergent and wash hang back out in sun. if you can use bleach in your water use it. mold spores grow and I infect other areas of
  • Junk Gypsee
    Junk Gypsee Branson, MO
    Doesn't smell so nice...but after it dries the smell goes away. I use a quart spray bottle with white vinegar and 40 drops of tea tree oil. I do this weekly...I would allow it to touch plants or anything green because vinegar is also a weed killer. I
  • Olga King
    Olga King Houston, TX
    When is the best time to spray mildew blocker treatment on to drop cloth curtains, after it rains or before it rains? I bought one at Home Depot called Mold Armour Mold blocker.Thanks much!
Donna J

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing