Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Raised bed over chicken wire?

I have 2 dogs and a fence that is wire over rail and does not quite reach to the ground. we just bought this house but we will only be here for a couple of years so we don't want to put much money into it. I was thinking to keep the dogs from digging out I would bury chicken wire around the perimeter. I also thought that I could maybe put a raised garden bed over the chicken wire so it isn't so ugly, and plant pole beans, corn, sunflowers around the edge to hide the wire fence. Thoughts?
18 Comments Displaying 15 of 18 comments | See Previous
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    I think your idea of pole beans, corn and sunflowers is great. You could try scarlet runner beans which have beautiful orange flowers and are edilbe too. Easy solution to use these plants and quick results.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Erica G, no plant will stop dogs who dig. I know, I have 2 Big ones. After you stop the dogs with some type of cement/cement product then you can have pretty plants that cover the fence.
  • Rikki
    Sherrie - the chicken wire on the ground will keep them from being able to dig. I was just looking for other options. I really don't want concrete around my yard. The dogs do not dig unless they are unsupervised which they rarely are - I do have a 15
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Rikki, I would be afraid of chicken wire because if they do try to dig they could be injured - Perhaps I may be too protective. The raised garden designed to cover the bottom of the fence sounds better and prettier, too.
  • Deb B
    Deb B Elsie, NE
    i have heard there is a product that keeps dogs off the lawn so maybe it would work there they say it is nontoxic
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I too steered away from the wire for fear of injury. The concrete pavers I mentioned before could be set a couple inches below grade and then some bark mulch of other such cover could be used on top for "cosmetic concerns" .
  • Erica G
    Erica G Seattle, WA
    Would plastic edging work?
  • Ken H
    Ken H Orlando, FL
    Have you considered using some straw bales with plants in them? Check out my straw bale garden pics, and those others have posted here.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    KMS, how about ugly, cheap cement blocks instead of nice pavers installed below grade?
  • Cheryl S
    Cheryl S Show Low, AZ
    I know this sounds gross, but I have tried it and it works: pick up their poop (dried) and grind it up and spread it where you don't want them. They can't stand it on their paws.
  • Midway Fence & Decks
    Midway Fence & Decks Dawsonville, GA
    What the picture shows looks like 2x4 welded wire probably galvanized or vinal coated. it wont hurt it to cover the bottom with dirt. land scape timbers or stake it down. Tension wire is another option.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Sherrie ...cinder blocks would really well as they would be hard to "dig up"...more work to install though.
  • Clay B
    Clay B Chesapeake, VA
    Nail or lag bolt 2x6 Treated along the bottom., you can sink into gound a bit if needed. Then you can staple or use U-Nails to secure the fence to the back of the 2x6. The 2x6's can be cut so the joints line up on a post.
  • Sandra R
    Sandra R Breinigsville, PA
    I did that once Clay, my Husky dug right under it, of course he also chewed the wire.
  • Linda
    Linda Wendell, NC
    Yes you can plant raised beds atop the chicken wire. I recently built some raised garden beds and laid down some diamond mesh underneath. It's s normally used for plaster & concrete projects. It's comes 27"X96" , and only costs about $9, which I
Rikki
  • Like

Patricia H

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!