Foxglove, an Easy Cottage Garden Flower

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Foxgloves grow like weeds here, a great plant to give your garden height in the late Spring and early Summer. Very easy to grow from seed.
  • Foxgloves come in a variety of colors.
  • Striking combinations
  • Delicate pinks with a reverse ombre effect
  • One of my favorites, pink outside and a creamy yellow inside
  • A signature cottage look
  • So easy to grow you will be digging up the extras to give to your friends.

To see more:

• Marie Campbell
    Marie Campbell Salem, OH
    Well I am not giving up the hope that some seeds took and will eventually come through the earth. Seasons here are much later than Ca. so there's still time left for growth. If not I will get more plants. I didn't know they were Biennial. Now, I did
  • Marie Campbell
    Marie Campbell Salem, OH
    I think I have lost my beautiful Foxglove plants. All three seem to have not survived the bad winter we had. I mulched but I still am not seeing any growth. I live in Ohio. Is anyone else experiencing this? Very sad. they were so pretty.
    • Pamela Groppe
      Pamela Groppe Arnold, CA
      Marie Campbell I am sorry to hear that. They are a biennial so last summer may have been their last year for the plants but typically they reseed readily. I must say mine are
  • Holly Faust
    Holly Faust Fort Myers, FL
    Thanks for the answer...glad you from fl ...its hard to know what the heck to plant down here. next question if I use the weed killer vinger/epson salt/ and dawn....will I be able to plant anything in that area....the landscapers have succeeded in
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Holly Faust I don't think that will affect the soil. I would be much more concerned if you were using regular salt.
  • Jean C
    Jean C Sacramento, CA
    DEADLY POISONOUS THIS plant is where they get Digitalas from.
  • Gini
    Gini Saylorsburg, PA
    Well, the latin name for Foxglove is digitalis! And it will mess up your heart rhythm and may cause cardiac arrest if enough is ingested. If you have kids and pets, be very careful.
    • Pamela Groppe
      Pamela Groppe Arnold, CA
      Gini You have to actually eat quite a large amount of leaves to have a real problem. Many common plants are poisonous, including Tomato plants (the leaves and stems), Azalea, Daphne,
  • Jacque Hodges
    Jacque Hodges Phoenix, AZ
    I've grown them here in Phoenix in the winter
  • Dana Corby
    Dana Corby Anderson Island, WA
    Foxgloves grow wild here in the Puget Sound area, and take well to being transplanted. I put two in pots on my porch, flanking the door, and have a whole row of them along the morning side of my house as well as others scattered about. Although they're
  • Chloe Rowles
    Chloe Rowles San Antonio, TX
    The first heart medicine, Digitalis, comes from this plant. I think they make it synthetically now, but for years this was a very important medicinal plant, because they extracted the digitalis from the plant. And yes, it is poisonous, that is why the
  • Connie Wiesniak
    Connie Wiesniak Oxford, CT
    Thank you.
  • Sharon Martin Moreland
    Sharon Martin Moreland Saint James, MO
    Does these flowers grow in Missouri??? They are beautiful!!! So Pretty!!! ;-)
  • Susan Leslie
    I had a surprise showing of Foxglove in my country driveway. I figured out that a bird must have eaten a seed and deposited it with a poop, into my driveway. It made me very happy to see it a midst a number roadside weeds. I would definitely spend the
  • Laurel
    Laurel Kingsburg, CA
    Not in a hot climate.
  • Holly Faust
    Holly Faust Fort Myers, FL
    Will it grow in southwest florida. Im looking so flower that will spread
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Holly Faust Some people plant foxglove as an annual here. It won't survive the heat, however, so definitely won't spread.
  • Kathleen
    Kathleen Chattanooga, TN
    I should have said that clearer. My bad. My foxglove had spread and I actually dug up a small plant that had branched off. Not an actually cutting. I put it in a pot and it has already bloomed in its' new home these past couple of weeks. It is finished
  • Karin W
    Karin W Junction City, KS
    I remember them from my childhood in Germany where they grow wild in the forest. I tried to grow them quite a few times here in East Central Kansas, but they don't survive. You are so lucky! They are beautiful!
Pamela Groppe

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post