Hometalk.com

Before & After 14 hours ago

Repurposed Desk into Chest

I took apart an old 90's desk, stacked the two pieces into a tall multipurpose chest.
My daughter used this desk as a teen, but it had been stored in the basement for years until I dissected it. I drug it up from the basement, removed the top, and then got busy.
I built up the top, and added some crown molding.
Stacked one side onto the other side to make it tall, then added a new MDF bottom and feet.
After spraying it with primer and black paint, I felt it needed a little something special, so I stenciled a flowering vine all the way up the front of the drawers.
I added some glass knobs to finish it off. Because this piece has two deep drawers that were formally file drawers, and 4 smaller drawers, it is very versatile.I currently have it in the bedroom, storing boots, and business stuff. LOVE how versatile it is, and it's much smaller footprint. Same storage, less floor space. Win/win!you can see the full tutorial on my blog.

To see more: http://bit.ly/1eM6ZqB

54 Comments Displaying 15 of 54 comments | See Previous
  • Lynne Detroit, MI
    this is such a great idea.. i have my childhood desk in the basement and i need an extra dresser..thanks for the idea
  • Flora Inverness, FL
    Beautiful and so useful .. putting this on my list of "To Do" thanks so much for sharing.
  • TJ Andover, MN
    what a great idea. I have a couple of old pine student desks that my now grown kids used. I never thought of cutting them up like this but now ..................
  • Jim Jakes Nashville, TN
    Looks good and what an idea! I often find old chests that are missing a drawer. I turn them up and trim off the bottom portion and just have one less drawer. Surprising how good they look shorter that way.
  • Flora Inverness, FL
    I was so impressed with this I shared it on my FB page The Silver Thimble... http://www.facebook.com/thesilverthimble... I am looking for a desk with drawers on each side to make one.. I have 1 with drawers on one side only... still looking
  • Katie Wells Midland, TX
    OMG I love it your are truly talented crafty and have an eye for things
  • Lynne Peavy Lumberton, MS
    Gorgeous; good idea.
  • Elizabeth Dion Hockley, TX
    An awesome idea! The completed project was simply gorgeous!
  • Beverly Hullender Cartersville, GA
    GREAT transformation! Love the idea (and determined to use it!) Thanks for sharing!!
  • Lucy Fraser Brooksville, FL
    hmmm my wheels are turn great idea!
  • Celia Canada
    Great idea and terrific end results! Love this!! How did you connect the two stacked pieces? How did you cover the seam on the sides? Thanks:)
    • Celia If you hop over to the blog, and look at the pictures. Pay attention to the one of the cabinet in the paint booth. Find the seam where they come together by looking at the inside of the
  • Rella San Francisco, CA
    My hat off to you...what a fantastic transformation!
  • JoJo Jonesborough, TN
    Now... This is awesome!!!! This is why I love Hometalk!!! To get fantastic ideas! This piece is beautiful !!!