Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

RustOleum Deck Restore(d) Our Deck!

6 hours ago
About a month ago I used a new product called #RustOleum Deck Restore on my #deck. The beauty of this product is it's thick and fills in gaps, cracks, and embeds splinters. It made my old weathered deck look like new again, and it was way cheaper than #reboarding. For the first time in six years my wife and I let our little girls walk barefoot on the deck! RustOleum claims it'll be good for 12 years.
Time: 3 Days Cost: $450 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/rust-oleum-deck-restore/

454 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 17 of 454 comments | See Previous
  • Cynthia
    Cynthia Marion, NC
    I see that this is a restore using the composite looking product...not the stain. I knew I did not want this product because they had samples at our Lowes and I could see that it made the wood look like concrete...did not want that! I have purchased
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Carol Poole
      Carol Poole Minneapolis, MN
      Cynthia We used the stain for the railings and posts. That is holding up well with no problems. I really liked the stain in that it is thicker than most stains and covers really well. I
    • Ed Anderson
      Cynthia There are better quality stains out there for the deck flooring.
  • Ed Anderson
    There are better quality stains out there for the deck flooring.

Look for a good "penetrating" stain. Cabot, Wolman..etc..

• Edgar
    Edgar Alexandria, VA
    Victimized by restore product, so after power washing and scraping this stuff from my deck (what had not already peeled off) - see my previous post, have been looking for another product and used a Sherwin Williams product called Elastomeric. Much easier
  • John Hartnett
    John Hartnett Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Interesting reviews. I bought Restore at Home Depot and was advised that it could not be used on the railings so I acquired the Thomson's Waterseal and Stain. A clerk, my son and I compared the waterseal to the samples of Restore and found a close match.
    • Ed Anderson
      John Hartnett Be careful if you sand Restore. It is made up of over 60% Crystalline Silica ( a known carcinogenic). Even with a respirator it is dangerous.
  • Katiesaurus Rex
    Katiesaurus Rex Bothell, WA
    And It's horrible to remove. The parts that don't stick come up very easily but the few parts that do stick don't want to be removed without sanding, and as Ed said, it's very dangerous. Google "OSHA" and "crystalline silica". If your deck is older, it
    • Pamela Burnett-Apple
      Im a lowes paint associate and DO NOT HAVE any vested interest in selling you crap. Im honest with my customers, am a bit offended. Not all of us are dishonest.
    • Ed Anderson
      Pamela Burnett-Apple Maybe you're not a "big box" know nothing crap seller, but most of your fellow workers are.
  • Colleen Harman
    Colleen Harman Halifax, PA
    Does anyone know if you can you paint over the Rustoleum Deck Restore? The color of the finished product is not as shown on the sample and we would like to paint over it with exterior paint. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
    • Leigh Shaull
      Colleen Harman As someone who sells it, and someone who has been thoroughly trained and spoken to Rusoleum about it---you can paint directly over the Restore. Rustoleum makes the
  • Marion Nesbitt
    I would never buy this product after reading the comments. There are other viable products to use.
  • Leigh Shaull
    The biggest problem I see with most people here honestly, is that they purchased from Home Depot or Lowe's. Most people from these stores aren't trained in all products. A person who makes keys can be swapped to the paint department one day. I work at a
    • Ed Anderson
      Leigh Shaull If you applied Restore 2 years ago, then it was not manufactured by Rust-Oleum . It was manufactured by Synta Inc.
    • Leigh Shaull
      First, I am a madam, not a sir. Second, saying correctly prepping will not magically affect its performance---is ridiculous. If you apply the product on a surface with a current sealer or stain, it will not adhere correctly and will quickly flake off--at
  • Buyer Becareful
    Buyer Becareful Orting, WA
    Restore is full of millions of tiny little holes. It allows water to sit on your wood decks. When water sits on wood it will destroy it.
Ethan@OPC