Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Awesome Remodels 10.13.14

RustOleum Deck Restore(d) Our Deck!

About a month ago I used a new product called #RustOleum Deck Restore on my #deck. The beauty of this product is it's thick and fills in gaps, cracks, and embeds splinters. It made my old weathered deck look like new again, and it was way cheaper than #reboarding. For the first time in six years my wife and I let our little girls walk barefoot on the deck! RustOleum claims it'll be good for 12 years.
Time: 3 Days Cost: $450 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/rust-oleum-deck-restore/

446 Comments Displaying 15 of 446 comments | See Previous
  • David Abney II
    David Abney II Crofton, KY
    WoW. Thanks everyone for the posts I was fixing to do my deck in the restore, cause some one I know used it and thay loved the way it turned out, but his has not been on that long so I will wate and see what happens to his. Thanks to you all i won't
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Cynthia
    Cynthia Marion, NC
    I see that this is a restore using the composite looking product...not the stain. I knew I did not want this product because they had samples at our Lowes and I could see that it made the wood look like concrete...did not want that! I have purchased
    • Carol Poole
      Carol Poole Minneapolis, MN
      Cynthia We used the stain for the railings and posts. That is holding up well with no problems. I really liked the stain in that it is thicker than most stains and covers really well. I
    • Ed Anderson
      Cynthia There are better quality stains out there for the deck flooring.
  • Ed Anderson
    There are better quality stains out there for the deck flooring.

Look for a good "penetrating" stain. Cabot, Wolman..etc..

• Edgar
    Edgar Alexandria, VA
    Victimized by restore product, so after power washing and scraping this stuff from my deck (what had not already peeled off) - see my previous post, have been looking for another product and used a Sherwin Williams product called Elastomeric. Much easier
  • John Hartnett
    John Hartnett Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Interesting reviews. I bought Restore at Home Depot and was advised that it could not be used on the railings so I acquired the Thomson's Waterseal and Stain. A clerk, my son and I compared the waterseal to the samples of Restore and found a close match.
    • Ed Anderson
      John Hartnett Be careful if you sand Restore. It is made up of over 60% Crystalline Silica ( a known carcinogenic). Even with a respirator it is dangerous.
  • Katiesaurus Rex
    Katiesaurus Rex Bothell, WA
    And It's horrible to remove. The parts that don't stick come up very easily but the few parts that do stick don't want to be removed without sanding, and as Ed said, it's very dangerous. Google "OSHA" and "crystalline silica". If your deck is older, it
    • Pamela Burnett-Apple
      Im a lowes paint associate and DO NOT HAVE any vested interest in selling you crap. Im honest with my customers, am a bit offended. Not all of us are dishonest.
    • Ed Anderson
      Pamela Burnett-Apple Maybe you're not a "big box" know nothing crap seller, but most of your fellow workers are.
  • Colleen Harman
    Colleen Harman Halifax, PA
    Does anyone know if you can you paint over the Rustoleum Deck Restore? The color of the finished product is not as shown on the sample and we would like to paint over it with exterior paint. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
    • Ed Anderson
      Colleen Harman When did you apply Restore to your deck?

Give it one (1) winter to dry completely before deciding to paint over it.

• Colleen Harman
      Colleen Harman Halifax, PA
      Ed Anderson Thank you, Ed. We applied it a couple of weeks ago. It's getting kind of cooler around here to think about painting anyway. So, I guess we will wait.
  • Marion Nesbitt
    I would never buy this product after reading the comments. There are other viable products to use.
Ethan@OPC