Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

RustOleum Deck Restore(d) Our Deck!

About a month ago I used a new product called #RustOleum Deck Restore on my #deck. The beauty of this product is it's thick and fills in gaps, cracks, and embeds splinters. It made my old weathered deck look like new again, and it was way cheaper than #reboarding. For the first time in six years my wife and I let our little girls walk barefoot on the deck! RustOleum claims it'll be good for 12 years.
Time: 3 Days Cost: $450 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/rust-oleum-deck-restore/

458 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 458 comments | See Previous
  • Ed Anderson
    There are better quality stains out there for the deck flooring.

Look for a good "penetrating" stain. Cabot, Wolman..etc..

This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Edgar
    Edgar Alexandria, VA
    Victimized by restore product, so after power washing and scraping this stuff from my deck (what had not already peeled off) - see my previous post, have been looking for another product and used a Sherwin Williams product called Elastomeric. Much easier
  • John Hartnett
    John Hartnett Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Interesting reviews. I bought Restore at Home Depot and was advised that it could not be used on the railings so I acquired the Thomson's Waterseal and Stain. A clerk, my son and I compared the waterseal to the samples of Restore and found a close match.
    • Ed Anderson
      John Hartnett Be careful if you sand Restore. It is made up of over 60% Crystalline Silica ( a known carcinogenic). Even with a respirator it is dangerous.
  • Katiesaurus Rex
    Katiesaurus Rex Bothell, WA
    And It's horrible to remove. The parts that don't stick come up very easily but the few parts that do stick don't want to be removed without sanding, and as Ed said, it's very dangerous. Google "OSHA" and "crystalline silica". If your deck is older, it
    • Pamela Burnett-Apple
      Im a lowes paint associate and DO NOT HAVE any vested interest in selling you crap. Im honest with my customers, am a bit offended. Not all of us are dishonest.
    • Ed Anderson
      Pamela Burnett-Apple Maybe you're not a "big box" know nothing crap seller, but most of your fellow workers are.
  • Colleen Harman
    Colleen Harman Halifax, PA
    Does anyone know if you can you paint over the Rustoleum Deck Restore? The color of the finished product is not as shown on the sample and we would like to paint over it with exterior paint. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
    • Leigh Shaull
      Colleen Harman As someone who sells it, and someone who has been thoroughly trained and spoken to Rusoleum about it---you can paint directly over the Restore. Rustoleum makes the
  • Marion Nesbitt
    I would never buy this product after reading the comments. There are other viable products to use.
  • Leigh Shaull
    The biggest problem I see with most people here honestly, is that they purchased from Home Depot or Lowe's. Most people from these stores aren't trained in all products. A person who makes keys can be swapped to the paint department one day. I work at a
    • Leigh Shaull
      First, I am not saying all customers are wrong. Back to my original point, people mostly purchased at stores where employees knew nothing about the product. Get that straight. I personally helped a customer get a refund because 200 sq ft of his 3000 sq
  • Buyer Becareful
    Buyer Becareful Orting, WA
    Restore is full of millions of tiny little holes. It allows water to sit on your wood decks. When water sits on wood it will destroy it.
  • Terry
    Terry Battle Ground, WA
    I would not recommend this product to anyone. First off, I followed the recommended prep. I thoroughly sanded the deck. I replaced boards that needed replacing do to weathering and dry rot. I wanted to extend the life of the deck and make it look good.
    • Ed Anderson
      Terry You are not alone. Despite what others on this board will tell you, no matter how thoroughly you preped your deck, or where you purchased the product, Restore will fail to deliver anything
Ethan@OPC