RustOleum Deck Restore(d) Our Deck!

08.23.15
About a month ago I used a new product called #RustOleum Deck Restore on my #deck. The beauty of this product is it's thick and fills in gaps, cracks, and embeds splinters. It made my old weathered deck look like new again, and it was way cheaper than #reboarding. For the first time in six years my wife and I let our little girls walk barefoot on the deck! RustOleum claims it'll be good for 12 years.
Time: 3 Days Cost: $450 Difficulty: Easy
  • We covered all the horizontal surfaces on our deck, and it required 4, 4-gallon buckets.
  • You can back-brush the second coat for a smoother texture.
  • The deck almost looks like composite now. Rust-Oleum has lots of different colors to choose from, and we selected "Saddle".
  • Deck Restore is applied with a specialized, honeycomb roller.
  • You can see how old, splintered, and beat-up the old deck looked.

To see more: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/rust-oleum-deck-restore/

• Teresa
    Teresa Columbus, OH
    Any deck is hot to walk on stained, painted or bare wood. we will be painting our deck with this I just hope it lasts 12 years.
  • Sharon Romine
    Sharon Romine Sitka, AK
    Can you add colors to it at the paint store or do they just have a variety?
  • Angela Harris
    Angela Harris Marion, NC
    I also have used restore only in a room where is it concrete and block and I LOVE IT!!!!! I would highly recommend this product to anyone that is looking to put new life into their concrete area..
  • Denise S.
    Denise S. Temecula, CA
    I guess with all these products you really have to wait and see. Time will tell if it is good or not. Wood needs upkeep for sure. We have two big decks... one we used the old Linseed oil (natural) and the other Cabots stain and sealer.. they are both
  • Paul Gorsky
    Paul Gorsky Gorham, ME
    People really need to be careful and not cover-up dangerously aged boards. Sure the deck looks great and safe but it may not be!!
  • Marji
    Marji Nampa, ID
    That is what I used to make an Illusion of a Rug on my patio. Love the way it turned out.
  • Reisa
    Reisa Inez, KY
    I have this on my pool deck in 2 different shades of blue and it has sealed in all the splinters and feels wonderful to bare feet! Home Depot has this for $80 (4 gal. bucket) and Lowe's sells it for $90. I have gotten a lot of compliments on this project!
  • Kelly
    Kelly Eugene, OR
    We did this to our deck this year too! Best product we have ever used on our deck! It looks BRAND NEW!!
  • Linda Fraley Mercer
    Linda Fraley Mercer East Brunswick, NJ
    I would like to know what the deck looks like in a year...we put sealer on last year and we can't even tell it this year...
  • Ellen Baker
    Ellen Baker Covington, GA
    We have a front and back deck that are in horrible shape. I honestly thought there as no hope. Thanks for the great suggestion!!! I just showed my husband your post and he is pumped. What a great product. We are game!
  • Yvonne Mrad Terry
    Yvonne Mrad Terry Saint Louis, MO
    My Brother In Law did this to his deck about a year ago in off white, they really like it, to clean it off he just take the hose to it.. I didn't think it got that hot, not any hotter then a normal deck..
  • Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Thanks everyone for your comments!
  • Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Kim R It does get hot in direct sunlight but not enough for me to be too bothered. It's not a cheap option but way less expensive than re-boarding our deck, and that really was the only alternative.
  • Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Ellen Reilly It oozed in-between some, and where the gap was really small, it covered it up (and I recut the opening w/ a garden hoe).
  • JO-ANN
    JO-ANN Bronx, NY
    I USED THIS PRODUCT 3 WKS AGO,AND WHEN I WENT BACK TO CHECK IT OUT LAST WK IT ALREADY PEELED. I FOLLOWED ALL INSTRUCTIONS.
Ethan@OPC