Sweeten Your Tomatoes With Baking Soda.

Garden Ideas 3 days ago
Want to grow the sweetest tomatoes around? Use baking soda near your plants in the garden.

Just sprinkle a small amount of baking soda on the soil around your tomato plants. (be careful not to get any on the plant itself and be also careful with young seedlings which are more tender.) The baking soda absorbs into the soil and lowers the acidity levels. This will give you tomatoes that are sweet rather than the tart flavor that store bought tomatoes have.

As with all home remedies, be sure to test with just one plant when trying this. If your soil is already quite alkaline, it could affect the level too much by adding soda.)

You can also use baking soda with canned tomatoes when making sauce if you like. It will sweeten them without having to add extra sugar (and calories!)

To see more: http://thegardeningcook.com/sweet-tomatoes/

• Mei Han Gallagher
    Very good. I will try it! Thank you very much!
  • Marie @ The Interior Frugalista
    Definitely trying this in the summer - pinning.
  • PriceofWisdom
    PriceofWisdom Brooklyn, NY
    Wonderful. And yet another reason why I keep a bucket of baking soda in my home!
  • Ellen Talbot
    Ellen Talbot Perry, OH
    Don't recommend doing this with tomatoes used for home canning. You need the acid to safely water-bath can. (some recipes even recommend adding lemon juice to each quart). You can use the baking soda after opening the home-canned jars, when you're making
  • Linda Anthony
    Linda Anthony Meadville, PA
    often, when eating too many home grown tomatoes, the acid plays havic with my mouth. I then use a little sugar to cut the acid, but now I will use the baking soda and avoid the extra sugar!
Carol Speake - The Gardening Cook