Sweeten Your Tomatoes With Baking Soda.

Want to grow the sweetest tomatoes around? Use baking soda near your plants in the garden.

Just sprinkle a small amount of baking soda on the soil around your tomato plants. (be careful not to get any on the plant itself and be also careful with young seedlings which are more tender.) The baking soda absorbs into the soil and lowers the acidity levels. This will give you tomatoes that are sweet rather than the tart flavor that store bought tomatoes have.

As with all home remedies, be sure to test with just one plant when trying this. If your soil is already quite alkaline, it could affect the level too much by adding soda.)

You can also use baking soda with canned tomatoes when making sauce if you like. It will sweeten them without having to add extra sugar (and calories!)

To see more: http://thegardeningcook.com/sweet-tomatoes/

• Shirley Boley
    Shirley Boley Chillicothe, MO
    soda, would add to the salt content..if you watching your sodium..the cinnamon/wine be better for the sauce..and cinn is good for the diabetic.it is reported..
  • Michelle Seay
    Michelle Seay Newberry, FL
    The baking soda is for Live plants. Mix 1 tsp. with a gallon of water and water your tomato plants. This will make your tomatoes taste sweeter when you harvest them.
  • Jenny
    Jenny Waldorf, MD
    I'm a new gardener and I'm loving all these hints...thank you.
  • Carol Speake - The Gardening Cook
    my pleasure Jenny
  • Amy
    Amy Naperville, IL
    I'm wondering, how often does this need to be done?
  • Dana Zerba
    Dana Zerba Stanwood, WA
    I love these tips on gardening !!!
  • Elaine Wutke
    Elaine Wutke Bay City, MI
    I tried the baking soda on my tomatoe plants, waiting for them to ripen now to try them.
  • Susie
    Susie Poway, CA
    All my tomatoes taste really good. I did try a small amount of baking soda and don't notice much if it works. As for sweetening tomato sauce....if you add a small carrot, it seems to add sweetness without added sugar. I used to put just a pinch in my
  • Suz
    Suz Oklahoma City, OK
    ...ahhh, the sweetness of tomatoes, I eat them like apples,(but I do bite into them more carefully = )-- thanks for sharing tip Carol...
  • JANIS S
    JANIS S Hugo, MN
    Will try this, how often?
  • Julie Smith-Roof
    Julie Smith-Roof Dunnellon, FL
    will try
  • Karyl
    Karyl Temple, GA
    Add thtto this Cool I know u can use Epsom salt for your blueberry bushes but this is great I will try
  • Shelia French Walker3
    Shelia French Walker3 Jamestown, TN
    Have family that cant handle all the acid. Will definantly try this.
  • Mei Han Gallagher
    Very good. I will try it! Thank you very much!
  • Marie @ The Interior Frugalista
    Definitely trying this in the summer - pinning.
Carol Speake - The Gardening Cook