Hometalk.com

52 Comments Displaying 15 of 52 comments | See Previous
  • BeeKeeper J Scotts Valley, CA
    Kathleen it might depend on the variety of hosta... but secondary fasciation is interesting... off to look that up!
  • Beth S Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks everyone, I will watch it and if it blooms or does anything strange, I will post on here.
  • Vivian S Harper Woods, MI
    If you have more than one doing this, you might try Toni B's suggestion
  • Amy K Forest Hill, MD
    That is the bloom stalk it should get flowers on it when it is about 1 1/2 - 2 ft tall
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    thanks Beth, would love to see it if it blooms.
  • looks like a sport - a shoot that is different than the mother plant, would be great if you could remove it and root it. Could be a new variety of miniature.
  • Karen M Vero Beach, FL
    I'm not sure we can safely say "what" it is until we know where it's coming from. Beth, is it independently growing directly from the ground? Or, is it emerging from a different hosta plant?
  • It's the hosta getting ready to bloom.
  • Kym B Myrtle Beach, SC
    Where is Walter Reeves or Dr. Armitage on this one?
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    It does look like stress growth especially with the minimal growth around it.
  • Beth S Indianapolis, IN
    Karen, it is definitely growing in the middle of hosta leaves. It is part of the hosta plant. The leaves below it are a small cluster next to the main hosta. This is the 3rd year I have had it. It came from a nursery.
  • Evelyn R Manchester, MD
    Four Seasons - I went off and read about secondary fasciation and now I have a headache!
  • Lynette R Maryville, TN
    it's the flower of the hosta
  • Karen M Vero Beach, FL
    I'd love to see a picture of how it looks today!
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    I would too :D
  • Likes

Eulalia Glenda H Michelle D