Hometalk.com

07.25.12

My garbage disposal needs to be replaced. I would appreciate any recommendations, tips or advice.

10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • There are several sizes of disposals manufactured these days. Prices range from around $125 up to $500. Like with any other product the more you spend the more quality (most times) and options you have.
  • Plumber26 Thomasville, NC
    Personally, I like the Insinkerator 'Evolution' series disposals. They are a little pricey but do the job quieter, better, and have a better warranty than the lesser models. The price of these start @ $225 for the 'Compact' and go up from there. Good luck!
  • Terri F Columbus, OH
    Thank you both! I really appreciate the help. I had no idea they were so pricey! The current leaking unit is an Insinkerator. I am thinking if I stick with this brand the installation will be easier or does that matter?
  • Really does not matter. Most brands use the same mount under the sink, and the wiring is pretty much the same as well. Only size of unit makes the difference in the install. Higher end units are bigger and tend to take up more room so adjustments to
  • Plumber26 Thomasville, NC
    yeah, Woodbridge.... they will eventually rust out
  • Terri F Columbus, OH
    Water flows out the bottom of the unit. It appears to have rusted out. At the suggestion of my daughter-in-law we sprayed it with Flex Seal, which I had never heard of. Seems to be a temporary fix. This morning we tried it and only one spot was leaking.
  • Do not waste your time. If water is going out of bottom, this means that water is flowing into the motor area that should not be getting wet. This risks a electrical hazard to you. Turn off the unit, and if you can unplug it for safety. Better safe
  • Terri F Columbus, OH
    Oh dear. I did not know that. That probably explains why it won't turn on now. Darn. Thank you!
  • Plumber26 Thomasville, NC
    LOL...... have you tried using that stuff (Flex Seal) on those annoying boat hull repairs?
  • Terri F Columbus, OH
    Yes, that is exactly what we used. We have temporarily repaired it with Flex Seal!