Garden Pepper Spray. An All Natural Alternative To Insecticides.

I posted a question earlier about a problem I had with burnt/brown looking spots and holes in my red bell pepper plant's leaves. One response mentioned making an all natural alternative to insecticides. I decided to try this out and this is how I did it. ~Ben N.

1) We took some of our previously dried assorted peppers and crushed them up in a bag. Jalapeño, cayenne and other peppers.

2) After crushing up the peppers, dump them into a boiling pot of water.

3) After boiling the crushed up peppers for maybe 15-20 minutes, pour the solution into a bowl and strain out the crushed peppers. We used a paper towel because it was handy. Put it over the bowl and pour slowly.

4) A funnel makes pouring the pepper solution into the spray bottle much easier.

5) We added a few extra peppers into the bottle for good luck.

6) Finally, spray a test area before spraying the whole plant. We will keep you posted on how it works.

Time: 30-45 Minutes Difficulty: Easy
  • We took some of our previously dried assorted peppers and crushed them up in a bag. Jalapeño, cayenne and other peppers.
  • After crushing up the peppers, dump them into a boiling pot of water.
  • After boiling the crushed up peppers for maybe 15-20 minutes, pour the solution into a bowl and strain out the crushed peppers. We used a paper towel because it was handy. Put it over the bowl and pour slowly.
  • A funnel makes pouring the pepper solution into the spray bottle much easier.
  • We added a few extra peppers into the bottle for good luck.
  • Finally, spray a test area before spraying the whole plant. We will keep you posted on how it works.
  • Kay Love-Wood
    Kay Love-Wood Richmond, VA
    Don't know if I would use vinegar in this, haven't tried the pepper solution. Pretty sure vinegar will hurt your plants maybe even kill it???????????????? Maybe some soap added to make it stick to the plants???
  • Charlie Smily
    aye, and may be add some Lemon to the mixture or even Lemon Balm, let me know how you got on......I put a load of spices((Chili flakes--Ginger---Cumin--Curry Powder--Terriaki Powder ) on to boil to make a fly spray, when it was done after about 20 or so
  • Charlie Smily
    I'm going to try it on my Butterfly/Caterpillar invasion of my Veggie Plants
  • Patsy Bullock
    Patsy Bullock Jayess, MS
    What if you don't have dried peppers. Could you use red pepper flakes.
  • Kay Love-Wood
    Kay Love-Wood Richmond, VA
    Seem to remember reading something like this before. I also thought you had to have like something else to make it stick to the plant???
Raindrop Gutter Guard Systems