Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Awesome Remodels 02.05.14

Garden Pepper Spray. An All Natural Alternative To Insecticides.

I posted a question earlier about a problem I had with burnt/brown looking spots and holes in my red bell pepper plant's leaves. One response mentioned making an all natural alternative to insecticides. I decided to try this out and this is how I did it. ~Ben N.

1) We took some of our previously dried assorted peppers and crushed them up in a bag. Jalapeño, cayenne and other peppers.

2) After crushing up the peppers, dump them into a boiling pot of water.

3) After boiling the crushed up peppers for maybe 15-20 minutes, pour the solution into a bowl and strain out the crushed peppers. We used a paper towel because it was handy. Put it over the bowl and pour slowly.

4) A funnel makes pouring the pepper solution into the spray bottle much easier.

5) We added a few extra peppers into the bottle for good luck.

6) Finally, spray a test area before spraying the whole plant. We will keep you posted on how it works.

Time: 30-45 Minutes Difficulty: Easy
54 Comments Displaying 15 of 54 comments | See Previous
  • Christine G
    Christine G Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Another recipe that I haven't tried though is to boil either pétunia or tagètes leaves in4 litersof water. Bring to a boil for a couple of minutes. Let it cool an stand for 24 hors and filter. Use as is. Good luck everyone!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Trudy
    Trudy Ozark, AL
    IRENE, thanks for your reply and instructions, I fear that may be my least expensive if most difficult alternative.

Ref. Nicotine:

• Carla Seif
    Carla Seif Shiocton, WI
    I just saw on another page to put panty hose on your cabbage, keeps the moths and other bugs off it while its growing. I guess it works on broccoli and cauliflower as well, I would think melons as well
  • Raindrop Gutter Guard Systems
    Thank you everyone for all the "natural" and chemical free alternative suggestions! ~Ben N
  • Raindrop Gutter Guard Systems
    So far the plants are looking much better! Looks like this stuff is working! Carla Seif, thanks for the suggestion! ~Ben N
  • Lamar Lambert
    Lamar Lambert Atlanta, GA
    Adding red pepper flakes to bird seed in a feeder also works to keep squirrels out. The birds don't care. So, after making the brew and straining it off add the peppers to your feeder.
  • Carla Seif
    Carla Seif Shiocton, WI
    Glad to hear! Happy gardening everyone :)
  • Anna C
    Anna C Westerly, RI
    Donna Gardner, cats hate the smell of citrus fruits. I would recommend using the peels of oranges, grapefruits, etc, throughout the garden and twist the skins to bring out the oils. You'll have to experiment with how much to use and how often you'll have
  • Wendy B
    Wendy B Murphy, NC
    Anna, I never knew this, might have to try it. I live in the mountains though, will the peels attract little creatures of the night though?
  • Cyndy Streitz
    Cyndy Streitz Lincoln, CA
    i heard it is good to use rosemary, I use Young Living essential oil. Put about 35 drops in a 4oz bottle and fill with water, use a splash of vodka to keep the oils dispersed in the water and spray plants once a week.
  • Charlie Smily
    pleese keep me post'd on this..Thanks
  • Raindrop Gutter Guard Systems
    Hey Derick, This worked great. It lasted about a week after each spray before I noticed any bugs again. I heard it would work better with vinegar added into the solution too.
  • Kay Love-Wood
    Kay Love-Wood Richmond, VA
    Don't know if I would use vinegar in this, haven't tried the pepper solution. Pretty sure vinegar will hurt your plants maybe even kill it???????????????? Maybe some soap added to make it stick to the plants???
  • Charlie Smily
    aye, and may be add some Lemon to the mixture or even Lemon Balm, let me know how you got on......I put a load of spices((Chili flakes--Ginger---Cumin--Curry Powder--Terriaki Powder ) on to boil to make a fly spray, when it was done after about 20 or so
  • Charlie Smily
    I'm going to try it on my Butterfly/Caterpillar invasion of my Veggie Plants
Raindrop Gutter Guard Systems