Hometalk.com

03.25.13

Does anyone know much about this plant (Euphorbia Cyparissias)?

I found some information on Google which states) When broken, cypress spurge, like all spurges, emits a milky sap. Other sources allege that the milky juice of the plant is toxic and causes irritations on contact with the skin.The sap may also irritate the eyes, mouth, and gastro-intestinal tract). I know they sell it in our nurseries here in California. I really love it as it's very attractive and fills in the back area but concerned about the toxicity of the plant.
5 Comments Displaying 5 of 5 comments
  • Kathy R Rocky Point, NC
    Its toxic if eaten. The sap is an irritant. I wouldnt have it around kids or animals. Always wear gloves. Pretty though.
  • Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    I grow several different kinds next to the street. Numerous kids and dogs passing by have never given it a second look.
  • Southern Trillium LLC Stone Mountain, GA
    Some of the euphorbias will re-seed quite well. We have had volunteers appear over 20 feet away from the parent plant. I liken this to Cleome, which is nice, but it can reseed rapidly.
  • Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    Love euphorbias, just wear gloves if you are working with it. I have not had a reaction to the sap, it is white and sticky. My dog never bothers it and he likes to eat grass.
  • Amanda Munfordville, KY
    It is an Euphorbia Spurge Plant. I have many of these growing in an around my optunia cactus hardy for this area. They will spread by roots popping up everywhere and are good border plants that has the yellow blooms as shown in photo