Hometalk.com

35 Comments Displaying 15 of 35 comments | See Previous
  • Kathy C Powell, TN
    One year mine were blue and the next year they were pink. What is it that you can add to the soil to determine the color?. I trimmed it down in the spring. I usually do it in the fall. I saw on t.v. where you need to water even though it has rained
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    Kathy, here is a publication by the Georgia Extension on Hydrangeas that you might find helpful on understanding how to change the color of the big leaf Hydrangeas.
  • Nancy S Lagrange, GA
    We moved here will be 2 years in April.. I had the mother bush that started over 60 years ago.. when we moved I had to take it with me. My mother is no longer with us and I left that place and moved.. when we left we had to transplant them.They were
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    Nancy S , I fall in love with Hydrangeas every year!
  • Nancy S Lagrange, GA
    Hydrangeas have been in my life always. We moved those hydrangeas from a farm I lived on for the first 8 years of my life. I do not know where mother got the 'mother' bush. She moved it from that farm to where I lived until I married the wrong man...
  • Marcia Reichert Horn Lake, MS
    MaryAnn, your Hydrangea from Ohio did well in the sun but would suffer in the south because it's hotter here. It's a location thing . Down here in Mississippi we have to have them in, at minimal partial shade. I had mine in the ground for 6 years before
  • Beth G Decatur, GA
    always have enjoyed these! Wonder if they could be a container plant ... perfect light conditions on my balcony.
  • Dcz665 Highland Park, IL
    Displaying these gorgeous pictures just isn't fair to us Northerners. My hydrangeas are buried beneath a combination of dirt, leaves, leftover evergreen branches, and chicken wire to hold it all together and as of two days ago, 6 inches of snow! But come
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Beth G : Beth, if you have room for a large container, like a half whiskey barrel, you could probably pull it off. See this for some caveats:
  • Elaine Simmons Florence, AZ
    I just found one of my favorite tv hosts and my favorite flower on the same post! I really miss your shows Erica! Yours was my most favorite of all the garden shows. I have just moved to AZ so don't think I can grow hydrangeas in a pot, sun is just too
  • Beth G Decatur, GA
    Thanks Douglas! I was going to google for dwarf hydrangeas and other info later on. This article is quite helpful.
  • Mike L Yamhill, OR
    Patty M, in the nursery trade, hydrangeas are known as WATER HOGS. They require longer irrigation cycles than other plants. Sometimes even multiple X during hot summer days. It takes almost 2 full growing seasons for a hydrangea to fully establish itself
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    great information Mike L
  • Mike L Yamhill, OR
    Thanks! Let's just say I've grown a few K of the hydrangeas in the blue and white pots.
  • Love these!