Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Mopping a slate floor

10.01.14
What is the best way to mop a slate floor? What cleaning solution should we use? We have slate tiles in the kitchen with concrete mortar. You can see from the pictures that the surfaces of the slate tiles are uneven. They are also porous (water dripped on them is absorbed). I sweep regularly, which isn't easy because of the uneven surfaces. I have mopped once with a Swiffer Wet Jet but I'm not sure whether that's OK to use repeatedly.
41 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 17 of 41 comments | See Previous
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    hmmm, how about mild vinegar and water? I wouldn't use anything harsh on it.
  • Designs by BSB, helping you love where you live!
    Id suggest following their recommendations! Would be sad to start it all over again
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I'd go with their product...most manufacturers have chemists on board and will dovetail their products to enhance each other.
  • Jo hole
    Jo hole Rancho Cordova, CA
    For what it is worth, this is the instructions that were given me by the tile cleaning company, who cleaned and sealed my tiled las week. His instructions were, use a string mop, but, one of those that has foam strings, two buckets of water. One with a
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I contacted the manufactor and this is the information I recieved/

Use a dry cloth to wipe up spills and messes. For daily cleaning use a mild detergent like dishwashing liquid. To remove

• Melissa G
    Melissa G Atlanta, GA
    Thanks again, everyone. I have sinced hand-washed the floor with a whole bunch of Dawn and water, then sprayed and wiped with Fantastik. It has really helped. There is only a tiny bit of residue left but I think another couple of times with the Fantastik
  • European Flooring INstallers LLC
    Home Depot has a cleaner that contains acid, it's nothing to be scared of, it'll make your slate look like new
  • Becky J
    Becky J Troy, IL
    your floor is beautiful!
  • Hamtil Construction LLC
    Hamtil Construction LLC Saint Louis, MO
    Melissa G - Sorry to hear that you had trouble with the Aqua Mix Sealer! Never seen the residue happen. Can you post a pic of the post- sealed floor? Would love to see the enhanced colors!
  • Nilda Braren
    Nilda Braren Hamden, CT
    Hello I own my home. when we purchased this house, it already had slate and in between is concrete. My dog sometimes pee on the floor and i hate it because i don't know if there's a way to clean the mess. any suggestions.
  • Nilda Braren
    Nilda Braren Hamden, CT
    how can i post a pic so u know what i am talking about
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Nilda Braren you can post a pic by clicking on the "add photos" link below the text box.
  • Antares
    Antares Vergennes, VT
    Where is the add photos button?
  • Pickles
    DO NOT use any type of cleaner that has an acid base (even natural types, such as vinegar). This will damage your floor and may result in costly repair or replacement.
  • Paula Edmonds
    Paula Edmonds Colbert, WA
    Our kitchen slate floor is similar to yours. I use a damp mop -not soaking wet- with a bucket of Pinsol. In between deep cleaning I use the Swiffer Wet Jet. Our problem is the grout between crumbles and has been replaced 3 times. Every time new grout is
Melissa G

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing