Hometalk.com

Problem Solved 03.28.14

Mopping a slate floor

What is the best way to mop a slate floor? What cleaning solution should we use? We have slate tiles in the kitchen with concrete mortar. You can see from the pictures that the surfaces of the slate tiles are uneven. They are also porous (water dripped on them is absorbed). I sweep regularly, which isn't easy because of the uneven surfaces. I have mopped once with a Swiffer Wet Jet but I'm not sure whether that's OK to use repeatedly.
37 Comments Displaying 15 of 37 comments | See Previous
  • Melissa G Atlanta, GA
    Terrific advice, everyone. Thank you.
  • Melissa G Atlanta, GA
    Just wanted to give you an update -- I cleaned the floor Friday and sealed it yesterday, and it came out great! Thank you so much for the advice!
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    hmmm, how about mild vinegar and water? I wouldn't use anything harsh on it.
  • Id suggest following their recommendations! Would be sad to start it all over again
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I'd go with their product...most manufacturers have chemists on board and will dovetail their products to enhance each other.
  • Jo hole Rancho Cordova, CA
    For what it is worth, this is the instructions that were given me by the tile cleaning company, who cleaned and sealed my tiled las week. His instructions were, use a string mop, but, one of those that has foam strings, two buckets of water. One with a
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I contacted the manufactor and this is the information I recieved/

Use a dry cloth to wipe up spills and messes. For daily cleaning use a mild detergent like dishwashing liquid. To remove

• Melissa G Atlanta, GA
    Thanks again, everyone. I have sinced hand-washed the floor with a whole bunch of Dawn and water, then sprayed and wiped with Fantastik. It has really helped. There is only a tiny bit of residue left but I think another couple of times with the Fantastik
  • Home Depot has a cleaner that contains acid, it's nothing to be scared of, it'll make your slate look like new
  • Becky J Troy, IL
    your floor is beautiful!
  • Hamtil Construction LLC Saint Louis, MO
    Melissa G - Sorry to hear that you had trouble with the Aqua Mix Sealer! Never seen the residue happen. Can you post a pic of the post- sealed floor? Would love to see the enhanced colors!
  • Nilda Braren Hamden, CT
    Hello I own my home. when we purchased this house, it already had slate and in between is concrete. My dog sometimes pee on the floor and i hate it because i don't know if there's a way to clean the mess. any suggestions.
  • Nilda Braren Hamden, CT
    how can i post a pic so u know what i am talking about
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Nilda Braren you can post a pic by clicking on the "add photos" link below the text box.
  • Antares Vergennes, VT
    Where is the add photos button?
  • Likes

Leah Dorothy F Barbara M Wishful creation and designs Cynthia M