Hometalk.com

craft room 2 days ago

Patchwork Wall

We have a lot of people ask us about our 'scrap paper wall' in our home. It was a fun and easy project–and only took one evening. Over time I had collected all kinds of paper–wrapping paper, paper bags, old maps, etc. This is a fun way to use them. You really can't go wrong–you can have a particular color scheme if you wish, or–like us–just use all kinds of paper at once. I think I'm going to do another wall in all Nancy Drew book pages because I want a more neutral palette in another area-I'll let you know how that project goes! #Love2Repurpose
HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED:
~ Mod Podge
~ Foam brushes
~ exacto knife
~ small brayer
~ a flat service/device like an old credit card to smooth out paper
~ various scrap paper
DIRECTIONS:
Make sure your wall is clean–no need to sand, just make sure it is clean.
I cut my paper with scissors–different shapes and sized. Another fun option would be to tear it.
Begin at the top or a corner of the wall that you will be patchworking. Paint a small area, no larger than 2′x2′ at a time, and place paper onto painted area.
Once you have a 2′x2′ area down go over it with your brayer and/or pot scraper to get out any bubble or wrinkles. {I personally liked the pot scrapers better than the brayer for this job. Any pot scrapers will do–I just happened to have Pampered Chef ones on hand.}
Don't worry about any paper overlapping the ceiling, baseboards, edge, etc. at this point. Just leave it there.
Once your whole wall is done, take the exacto knife and run along the edge of the ceiling, baseboards, etc. to cut away any excess paper. {Don't do this while the paper is extremely wet-it will tear.}
You're almost finished!
Last step: go over your whole wall with a thick coat of Mod Podge and allow to dry!
Taaaahhhhh Daaahhhhh! You now have a patchwork wall!
Told you it was super easy!
Enjoy~
Daune
Cottage in the Oaks
www.cottageintheoaks.com
Facebook.com/cottageintheoaks
Twitter: @cottageintheoak
#BudgetUpgrade
We used random papers that we already had around the house to cover one of the walls in our entry area.
We used paper bags, wrapping papers, stationery, scraps from other projects, etc….as great 'wallpaper'!
Time: 4 Hours Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://cottageintheoaks.com/2011/04/26/patchwork-wall/

76 Comments Displaying 15 of 76 comments | See Previous
  • Cynthia Busch Akron, OH
    I did a wall covered in empty seed packets. It took me a long time to collect them and I had to be careful to open them up with out tearing. But the wall was really kool.
  • Liz H Troutdale, OR
    Very clever and so homey. I admire this talent.
  • Cindi Janes Columbus, OH
    what a great idea for the beatles newspaper i have!!
  • Nora Q Milbridge, ME
    I do this on a small scale and make pencil cans. I can now do this on a large scale here since these old plaster walls resist picture hooks nails...... Yours looks great!
  • Margaret Dillard Land O Lakes, FL
    How do you remove the paper when you want to return to drywall, like wallpaper? It looks great! Thanks @No search results.generationjunkers.com
  • Tawnya Belgrade, MT
    It would be a fun way to bring interest into a small space like a powder room. Did you have to put a finish over the paper once applied to the wall?
  • Great idea. Put a wall like this in the bathroom and you can give up bring reading material in with you.
  • I would also like to know how to remove it.
  • I did this in my breakfast nook with menus I had collected over the years.
  • Sharon H Eau Claire, WI
    Very cute!
  • Cheryl Knapp Wareham, MA
    love it, great idea for a kids playhouse or one wall in their room!
  • Sally Roesner Fuhr Taylor Ridge, IL
    Kind of busy, but then so is a quilt! Originality is the seed of talent.
  • Dee Linden, TN
    I love it. Wish I had seen this before he finished my sewing room walls. Of course, he would have had a heart attack. I've have seen this done to floors with brown grocery bags.
  • Annette Herbold Bedford, TX
    Hey, that's my wallpaper
  • Margaret Dillard Susan Taylor It's not that hard to remove items that have been mod-podged. Steam or any kind of dampness would help to peel it right off. Already tried it! =) It comes off much easier than wallpaper.