Patchwork Wall

Crafts 4 days ago

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
We have a lot of people ask us about our 'scrap paper wall' in our home. It was a fun and easy project–and only took one evening. Over time I had collected all kinds of paper–wrapping paper, paper bags, old maps, etc. This is a fun way to use them. You really can't go wrong–you can have a particular color scheme if you wish, or–like us–just use all kinds of paper at once. I think I'm going to do another wall in all Nancy Drew book pages because I want a more neutral palette in another area-I'll let you know how that project goes! #Love2Repurpose
~ Mod Podge
~ Foam brushes
~ exacto knife
~ small brayer
~ a flat service/device like an old credit card to smooth out paper
~ various scrap paper
Make sure your wall is clean–no need to sand, just make sure it is clean.
I cut my paper with scissors–different shapes and sized. Another fun option would be to tear it.
Begin at the top or a corner of the wall that you will be patchworking. Paint a small area, no larger than 2′x2′ at a time, and place paper onto painted area.
Once you have a 2′x2′ area down go over it with your brayer and/or pot scraper to get out any bubble or wrinkles. {I personally liked the pot scrapers better than the brayer for this job. Any pot scrapers will do–I just happened to have Pampered Chef ones on hand.}
Don't worry about any paper overlapping the ceiling, baseboards, edge, etc. at this point. Just leave it there.
Once your whole wall is done, take the exacto knife and run along the edge of the ceiling, baseboards, etc. to cut away any excess paper. {Don't do this while the paper is extremely wet-it will tear.}
You're almost finished!
Last step: go over your whole wall with a thick coat of Mod Podge and allow to dry!
Taaaahhhhh Daaahhhhh! You now have a patchwork wall!
Told you it was super easy!
Cottage in the Oaks
Twitter: @cottageintheoak
Time: 4 Hours Difficulty: Easy
  • Patchwork wall with various collected papers #Love2Repurpose
We used random papers that we already had around the house to cover one of the walls in our entry area.
  • Patchwork wall with collected papers of all kinds#Love2Repurpose
We used paper bags, wrapping papers, stationery, scraps from other projects, etc….as great 'wallpaper'!
  • Top part of our Patchwork wall. #Love2Repurpose

To see more:

• Diana Wearing
    Diana Wearing Oregon, WI
    Cool idea!
  • Marilyn
    Marilyn Falkville, AL
    I have been thinking of doing the same with material on 1 wall in my craft/sewing room. I was going to try using starch to put it on the wall. You have convinced me to do it. Love it & Thanks.
  • Me Myself & DIY
    Me Myself & DIY Philadelphia, PA
    Love this, clipping to board for share!!
  • Lis Boriss
    I LOVE this idea. I plan on building one of those tiny-house-on-wheels at some point in the next few years, and this would not only look amazing on an accent wall, but it would also be a great way to use up a lot of the fancy scrapbook paper I bought
  • Andrea
    Andrea John Day, OR
    great idea....wonder if this would work in a bathroom?
Daune | Cottage in the Oaks

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post