Something is eating my collard, cabbage and pepper leaves. Any idea what it is and how I can stop it?

My dad, who is doing the gardening, has resorted to putting some type of white power on them. So that is what you see in the photo. I am not sure of the name at present.

• Cathy Rodriguez
    Cathy Rodriguez Lansing, MI
    You are the one that said it takes truck loads, and it does not, and it is not apples and oranges. I would not use it any where near soil I wanted to continue to grow in. That is my choice, as it is yours. The weeds were all kinds, crab grass, prickers,
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I use to be all chemicals because I worked so hard on my garden. Now I have learned many things. One thing I do is rotate my garden every year. This really helps. Then I get up early and pick off the worms and brush off the leaves. I only use natural bug
  • Kathleen
    Kathleen Lansdale, PA
    This is a greatposting, and last summer my Cabbage and Collards looked just like these pix-ugh. Glad to see what it is and solutions. Thank you !
  • Cindy tustin
    Cindy tustin Arcadia, KS
    WE have always used wood ash on cabbage I am 66 yrs old and learned this from my grandmother. I lightly mist the plants and sprinkle wood ash on them. Realize everyone doesn't have access to ash. Maybe you know someone that has a fireplace I sift the ash
  • Cindy woosley
    Cindy woosley Wichita, KS
    Use dish soap. Look on line. They have lots of different recipe for natural bug killers for the garden
LaTrelle F