Hoosier Cabinet Turned Outdoor Kitchen Island

kitchen island 04.03.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
When I came across the bottom of an old Hoosier cabinet by the dumpster one day, I just had to stop and pick it up! At the time, I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but eventually decided it would make a great outdoor kitchen island! I reattached the porcelain top and painted it using Annie Sloan's Primer Red. I added hooks for grilling tools and a hand towel. The cabinet is now a great place to store charcoal, lighter fluid and grilling tools. Plus, it really adds more to our patio, which happens to be one of our favorite places to be! #OutdoorEntertaining
  • The finished Hoosier cabinet turned outdoor kitchen island
  • What our Hoosier cabinet looked like before. The drawers were falling apart and it had SEVERAL coats of paint on it!
  • Added a wooden top, but later decided to reattach the porcelain top.
  • I added hooks to the side for hand towels and grilling tools.
  • Above the cabinet, is a fun place to add recipes and grilling ideas!

To see more: http://www.therusticpig.com/2013/06/28/hoosier-cabinet-turned-outdoor-kitchen-island/

• Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air
    Looks beautiful, great job!
  • Sarah @ {Home-ology} modern vintage
    i was just "gifted" a hoosier-styled cabinet this very afternoon (it's still sitting in my truck)! i'm leaning towards using it as a garden bench, but haven't yet decided. this idea is definitely going on the list of potentials! great job!
  • Carol Tomlin
    Carol Tomlin Spencer, MA
    Nice job !
  • Joanne Kinlaw
    Joanne Kinlaw Plymouth, PA
    I just purchased a cabinet that is identical to this. I'm planning to redo it and have it as an island in my kitchen. Now I see how nice it can turn out. I love it.
  • Libby Walker
    Libby Walker Chicago, IL
    Awesome makeover! Love the red. And I have those same dish towels :)
Claire @ The Rustic Pig

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post